Author Topic: Adopted a bunny, questions!*UPDATE: With cage pics!*  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
Adopted a bunny, questions!*UPDATE: With cage pics!*
« on: July 24, 2009, 04:52:20 PM »
Well a friend of a friend was being deployed overseas and he has been trying to look for a home for his bunny. I have been wanting a bunny for a while, but I really couldn't decide when the perfect time was. I had a chance to rescue one a couple months back when someone on craigslist was keeping a baby bun in a 10gal. tank but by the time I had replied it was gone.

So I ended up volunteering to take in my friends bun so that he can know that she is in good hands while he is overseas. I haven't decided if I am going to keep her yet or rehome her but either way he knew she was well off with me.

He gave me her cage and all the supplies and it is a typical by what the petstore marks for a rabbit cage. A superpet one level cage. It is way too small for her, though she is small herself. I plan on moving her into a metal dog crate so that she has more room and then building a NIC cage for her once I decide if she is staying or not.

The questions I have are mainly about food. I am told she is around 4 months old. She was being fed KAYTEE Gourmet something or another and it is alfalfa based pellets with seeds and various other stuff. I know everything by KAYTEE sucks so I want to switch her over to Oxbow bunny food (the alfalfa based kind for 6 months and younger). Do I mix it with the KAYTEE and gradually put less and less KAYTEE and more oxbow? Also how much food should she get a day? Is it free feed?

With hay she was being fed Timothy hay. I know at her age she needs alfalfa so do I have to gradually change it or can I just switch? And how much hay should she have at her age? I know adults diets should consist of mainly hay but is it different for younger ones?

Just a few more questions.
Does she need a salt or mineral block or both?
Do rabbits prefer to drink from a bottle or a crock bowl?

Thanks!

I will hopefully put up pics later tonight!

-Lauren
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:26:43 PM by Lauren_22 »

Offline coliekumar

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Adopted a bunny, questions!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:35:20 PM »
From what I have gathered, if she is going to be on alfalfa pellets, timothy hay is just fine (found out from binkybunny.com, they have an active forum)  Just be sure to give her unlimited hay.  I feed my 2 month old the Owbow alfalfa pellets and timothy hay with smaller amount of alfalfa mixed in.  You will want to make a slow switch with the pellets though, just like you would with most other animals.  Good luck with the bunny, don't forget the pictures  :)
Two girls have arrived :) Names coming soon.

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 12:19:47 AM »
Thanks!

So Timothy Hay is ok for all ages? And you always free feed hay? I never knew before reading that hay should be the main part of their diet. I always thought it should be pellets.

Also should her pellets be free fed or a measured amount?

Here are some pics of the food she is on, her cage, and of course the bun herself.  :D

Food:

Hay:

^Is this a good brand of hay for all life stages?

Cage she came in:

And Phoebe!

Tomorrow I am going to be moving her into the metal dog crate I have. It is a very large size as it was used for our bloodhound. I have some supplies to rig up a shelf and I think it will be ok untill I can get a hold of some NIC cubes.

She is a mini-lop correct? I was told she is around 4 months old, will she get any bigger? She is very sweet and is very calm and likes to be handled (she lived with a 1yr old and 3yr old so she is used to it).

I am going shopping tomorrow and I am getting a hayrack. Do they need salt/mineral wheels? Anything else she will need?

Offline coliekumar

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 12:38:08 AM »
Yes, timothy hay is great for her at her age and its fun to supplement some alfalfa at all ages because they just love it  ;)  She certainly does look like a mini-lop and my understanding (I am knew to this, so I am only going by what I have read on forums, please bear with me) she shouldn't grow too much more.  I know at 5-6 months they are "big enough" for spays, so it would be safe to assume she is close to the size she will be as an adult.

She should get unlimited pellets until about 6-7months (sometimes sooner) and then usually cut that back to about 1/2 cup per day.  The main part of a rabbit's diet is really the hay, so keep a lot on hand!  You should also start introducing veggies if she hasn't already started getting those because by one year of age she should be getting around 2 cups veggies every day (if you decided to keep her, its something to work towards, my little girl isn't interested so much in the veggies yet) 

Offline krazycatlady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 12:43:45 AM »
 :shocked2: OMG I have seen some cute bunnies before but this one takes the cake  :heart: :heart: :heart:

I had a bunny once, I got her in the third grade as a present and she passed away two years ago when i was 20 so she lived quite a long time. We would give her salt/mineral wheels from time to time one would usually last her a good while.
RIP Mr. Squishy, Coraline & Gaz :( Play hard, Mommy misses you.

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 12:53:38 AM »
Thanks! (again  ;) )

I will make sure she has hay and pellets at all times then. I will buy some of the Oxbow Alfalfa based pellets and slowly mix them in with the KAYTEE.

If I keep her I plan on having her spayed since I know it is best for them that way and I read they litter train easier. I am pretty positive my vet does bunny spays as she usually works with exotics, but I will make sure.

I will start on the veggies also! I don't want to upset her stomach so I will only offer her very small amounts of romaine at first and maybe some collard greens.

Krazycatlady- thanks! She is cute!  :BlueDumboSmileTongue: I have never seen coloring like hers before. She reminds me of a dalmation rat lol! She is all white with that blue/grey speckling and splotching.

I will update tomorrow with her new cage setup!

Thanks for all the help guys!
-Lauren

Offline DebsRats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 01:41:46 AM »
Can't wait to see her in her new cage. I have 5 rabbits, 4 guinea pigs and 3 rats. :) Start her slowly on the veggies and work her way up.

Timothy hay, orchard grass, bermuda grass all are fine.

I LOVE buns. You should join binky bunny; you'll learn alot.

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 08:28:21 AM »
She is adorable  :heart: The timothy complete by kaytee is fine too. They are starting to make some better food now for small critters. I just can't believe how cute she is lol I love her markings :)

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 01:26:16 PM »
Well it has been almost a week and Phoebe is doing great!

Here is her cage setup:

And Phoebe!

She is one of the most laid back buns I have ever met! All she ever wants to do is get out of her cage and explore then she lays in from of the door and naps.

I am slowly mixing the Oxbow Bunny Basics alfalfa based pellets into her food and she is eating them so I don't think the switch will be hard lol. She is also eating veggies now, and she loves collard greens!

I think that I will definitely make her a NIC cage in a couple of months. Although this cage is pretty big, I want to go higher with it because she loves going from level to level, and this one is a pain to clean.

I do need help with what to put in the cage though. What do buns like? Any kind of beds they enjoy? I am used to my rats and them liking hammocks and such but I don't think a hammock would hold Phoebe  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

-Lauren

Offline coliekumar

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Adopted a bunny, questions!*UPDATE: With cage pics!*
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 01:31:34 PM »
Buns love things that they can toss around.  Baby rings would work well for a toy!  They also love to chew  :)

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 01:33:39 PM »
She is sooo cute!  :shocked2:

I give my rabbit a fleece liner or two from the rat's cage and she scoots them around and lays on them. I have some apple wood sticks in her cage and she has a grass ball bell toy (by WARE) and a few other little wood ball things.

Offline Amaya

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 03:18:15 PM »
Phoebe is adorable.  ;D

I'm not sure if this question has been answered yet, but she does not need any salt or mineral block/wheel while being fed pellet.
My bunny, Rocket loves sleeping someplace nice and dark and small where he feels safe. He has a favorite hidey box in his pen. Covering the carpet inside his pen is a large blanket and I put a smaller blanket inside his box and another blanket gets drapped over the box and covers the open side in a way that he can still get in and out. When I'm home he gets to come out of his pen so he's found lots of great daytime napping spots: under the papasan chair, under an endtable in the corner (there's now a pillow under there for him), occasionally on the bed or in the corner of my closet.

Rocket, isn't big on most toys and we've tried quite a few. The only toys that keep his attention are the edible ones.

Here's some of his favorites:
*an empty toilet roll stuffed with hay, leaving some poking out both ends. Sometimes I hide a raisin in there too.
* "Ball-A-Bout" This is a large ball with a smaller ball inside. I've only seen it in the cat section of pet stores. We open it up and stuff it with hay.
* Treat dispensing ball. Usually made for cats, sometimes for ferrets or rabbits. The type made for dogs are made of soft rubber and so are not a good choice. We've tried all kinds of things in ours: raisins, papaya, pellet. Rocket runs all over pushing the ball around trying to get the treats. (:
*small box of raisins. We give the unopened box to Rocket to chew open and toss around. We get it back from him once he's gotten into it and eaten a raisin or two. Then we pour the rest of the raisins into his raisin treat jar.
Both toys with hay make quite a mess, but Rocket eventually gets that taken care of. He also seems to enjoy his willow ball, woven grass mat, and cardboard boxes for chewing now and then. He ignores his baby keys, wooden spoon, balls with bells and other toys. Sometimes he'll toss around his ball-a-bout or a jingle ball to alert me he is out of hay or desires his pen to be opened, NOW!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 03:31:42 PM by Amaya »
Pet(s): Rocket the bunny and 2 dwarf rat girls - Crystal and Suzie Snowflake

Offline krazycatlady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 03:20:49 PM »
 :shocked2: Shes just so cute, I cant take it! :hyper: :heart:
RIP Mr. Squishy, Coraline & Gaz :( Play hard, Mommy misses you.