Author Topic: Vacation care for cats  (Read 926 times)

Offline andrea1970

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Profile
Vacation care for cats
« on: July 29, 2009, 01:58:21 AM »
This is sort of a part 2 to my post about my old cat getting sick.  The fact that we were on vacation seemed to play a role in him getting so sick.  Either the stress of our absence made him more vulnerable or just nobody noticing early in the illness allowed it to progress.   Whenever we have gone out of town for more than a day or so, we've arranged for a neighbor or paid pet sitter to come in.  When it's a neighbor volunteering, we've always just asked them to keep filling their food bowl and make sure the water is full.  A paid sitter also scoops the litter.

I honestly don't know what else to do to care for cats during vacations.  Our strategy has never been a problem before now.   I would think trying to board them would be at least as stressful as being home alone.  I suppose the ideal would be to have an actual house sitter staying at your house and hanging out so the cats might eventually be comfortable enough to come out and get petted while they are there.  We don't have anyone like that in our lives.   But any sort of pet sitter that's just coming in for 15-30 minutes is unlikely to actually see or interact with a scaredy cat.  And I wouldn't expect anyone, paid or not, to go hunt down a cat and drag them out from the closet or behind the washer.

What do you do to care for your cats while on vacation?
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."  -- Thomas Jefferson
Andrea DeJarnett

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Vacation care for cats
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:01:37 AM »
It really depends on how long we'll be gone.  If it is only for a night or two, I just leave plenty of food and water out.  That's it.

When we're gone longer, I have family or friends come by...  but my cats were familiar with them, so that probably isn't any help.  :/