Author Topic: I really really could please use some help!!!  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Sweet Whispers Rattery

• Posts Too Much!
    • Sweet Whispers Rattery
I really really could please use some help!!!
« on: August 11, 2009, 08:13:02 AM »
My girls of course well the older one she's extremely destructive. I use mainstays towels from Walmart worked perfect w/ other ratties and all. Well she taught the younger one to get underneath and chew the towel to bits. Well I got binder clips now their chewing at the edges ruining the towels. I need some kinda help what I can do to deter them or is there another way I'm missing. The towels are only $3 but within like not quite a mth. I've went through $36 and it doesn't look like it's gonna stop every time I turn around they have the edges and everything chewed to darn bits. I can't keep putting out like that every 2wks. I either need ideas of how to deter them, is there some better alternative to put in the pan for extremely destructive rats??

For example I put a nice new cube in yesterday Jamie goes right in it infront of my eyes goes and starts ripping at the steams like a mad rats.

I really really need help on this one I'm runnin outta ideas fast  :poke:   :bow:

Offline coliekumar

• Posts Too Much!
Re: I really really could please use some help!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:00:41 AM »
Well, some rats are just that way and you can never really get them to stop.   :P  For me, trying different types of liners helps to find out what they are least likely to destroy.  I had one girl who did it for attention and when I stopped reacting, she stopped chewing.  I find a lot of times that using binder clips makes things worse because they cannot pull up the material, so the chew it and then it gets ruined!  What kind of cage do you have?  You could always look into getting BASS pans and using another type of bedding if you have an FN/CN.   :)
Two girls have arrived :) Names coming soon.

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:07:32 PM »
Sometimes they like one kind of fabric more than another.  Maybe fleece or flannel won't tempt them as much, as far as liners go.
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline PennyLane

• Rags To Rescues
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 12:37:21 PM »
I have rippers! I use fleece though.  Once the pieces are shred, I actually reuse them.  I put them in a bowl, wash them and let them sun dry, then I toss it in with the new liners. It keeps them busy for a few days before they begin to chew up the new liners.  Then I repeat.

HTH   

Offline lularat

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »
I second the bass pans if you have a CN or FN. My girls obliterated the fleece liners. I am waiting for the paint to cure on my bass pan and then I am going back to litter for the bottom.
~Carolyn~

• Posts Too Much!
    • Sweet Whispers Rattery
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 12:43:27 PM »
I have a Ferret Nation. I don't think the person I got the 2 girls from used any liners they just were in litter. I had been using towels because they fit real great over the pans and aren't bad at $3. What I do is buy 3 towels and that makes a set of 2 (2 lines and 2 shelf covers). 2 whole towels for the pan covers and then I take the 3rd towel fold in half and cut. Then I take the cut end and sew it under making 2 separate shelf liners. I love the idea and it's great, but the adult female will not let it alone she's destructive of everything and teaching the younger one.

She won't do it much in the day mostly at nite when I'm not awake. I tried no binder clips I actually just put em on yesterday. She still chewed up covers inches and inches into the towel. Doesn't seem like she cares clips or not she's not the ones that goes under the towel it's the lil one. Jamie just chews to ruin stuff. Everything nice I make for them gets destroyed by Jamie. And she looks sooo innocent lol Only thing she hasn't destroyed yet are the hammocks (knock on wood) lol

I just hate to give up the towel method it works soooo great, well if I didn't have to buy towels every week lol I've never ever had a rat like Jamie and I've had rats since I was a child.

What are these BASS pans?

Offline coliekumar

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 01:07:50 PM »
BASS pans are metal pans that are 2.5" high so they can hold bedding and they fit right into the FN.  You do have to paint them because they are not coated, but they are a great investment (I just got my own set!)  You can do a search for them on here and tons of stuff will come up.

Offline coliekumar

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 01:08:43 PM »
Here is the link: http://bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx

Somehow forgot that  :doh:

• Posts Too Much!
    • Sweet Whispers Rattery
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 01:17:04 PM »
Thanks I will def. look into them they look real great.

Offline morris

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 06:41:03 AM »
Rats are rodents and NEED to chew on something to keep their teeth, which continue to grow for their entire lifetime, in check.  Have you offered anything else for your 'innocents' to chew up?  Just a thought.

And I use fleece for liners.  Yes, they get chewed up, but they don't fray or unravel.  I fold over a piece twice the depth of the shelf and sew it along the raw edge. I use a zigzag stitch to rejoin the worst rips and back in the cage it goes.  (after washing!!!)   Joann's usually has remnants of about 1/2 yd (18" x 60") for $4, +/-  Right now there is a 40% sale on fleece.  That's $5.39 for a 36" x 60" piece.  That's a lot of liner for my $$.

On the floor is shredded newspaper.  It's my 'recycling!'  My two guys usually take a few strips for their hammock and leave it at that.

Offline JOOOWEE

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 07:20:53 AM »
The bass pans are totally worth it. On the shelves I go to the dollar store and buy the baby blankets 28inchesx28inches.  At a buck a piece its no big deal when they destroy one.
Julie Pierce
Massachusetts
Ratty babies: Nora, Blaze, Hanna, Bella, Marathon, Chloe, Misty and Kojak

Offline morris

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 10:31:52 AM »
Just another suggestion:
An alternative to the BASS pans:  Tractor Supply (my favorite 'toy' store for all my animals!) has "Droppings Pans" in three sizes: 24" sq, 30" sq, and 30" x 36."  They're rigid plastic with 3" sides.  The most expensive is $19.99.  They have slightly raised cross and concentric square ridges on the bottom, but not significant enough to allow the rats to squeeze out.  I am quite happy with them.

Their website: www.tractorsupply.com   I use the search feature at the top right hand of the home page.

• Posts Too Much!
    • Sweet Whispers Rattery
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 11:32:17 AM »
Of course they have things to chew on wooden toys in there, hard pastas, dried fruits and more. I've had rats since I was 10 years old I'm not new here to owning them just never had one as destructive as she is.

Offline morris

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 06:21:51 PM »
I apologize if I came off sounding condescending.  I have no way of knowing the experience level of any one posting here.
If I were dealing with a rat with those habits, I would try to get used to the idea that she is going to be a chewer and recycle my ratty (get it  :poke:) bath towels, shop at thrift stores for towels and blankets, and generally just keep an eye out for bargains.
Do you have kids?  My boy is, well, a teenage boy!  Some things just don't change no matter how much I hound him, but I love him despite his sloppy habits!

• Posts Too Much!
    • Sweet Whispers Rattery
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 06:27:14 PM »
I have a lil girl that's going to be 4 years old Aug. 30th. Ugh Jamie is gonna be my horrible chewer apparently since nothing I can do about it *sigh* lol

Yeah my mom got me my first pair of rats when I was 9-10yrs. old. A pair of females one a beige top ear (Bubbles) and a PEW top ear (Sprite). Ever since I've been in love w/ them. My step-dad was into going to reptile shows. Me I'd snatch the fuzzies that didn't have their eyes open for 25cent a piece at least 2-4 of them.  Bring them home and nurse them and raise them lol

I didn't know as much then, but when I got more into my teen yrs. I did a whole lot of reading of what's wrong and right for them. I try to do the very best for my fuzzy babies.