Author Topic: "Stop Pooping in your Bed!" and other Isabel issues  (Read 867 times)

Offline Evie

"Stop Pooping in your Bed!" and other Isabel issues
« on: August 18, 2009, 09:05:58 PM »
Isabel is a lazy rat and instead of getting up and going downstairs to the use the litter pan, she'll turn around and poop in the corner of the top level, where I have put folded up fabric for her to sleep in. Needless to say, this results in be-pooed bedding which is kind of annoying, especially since the fabric serves to protect her feet from the cage wiring and it's a pain to keep washing/replacing the fabric and make sure it's thick enough.
So the other day, I came up with a solution. I took some plastic from the bottom of a reusable shopping bag and tied it into place on the top shelf. However, from her 'poop corner', there is a good two inch gap of just wire. I then put the fabric on top of the plastic. It was my thought that when she goes to the corner, she poos on just wire.
Well, today, I was sitting in bed and heard "ponk..... ponk.....ponk." I looked over and Isabel was in the corner and I even caught a poo in freefall as it fell through the wires to the shreddies below.
Hopefully, this will help keep her fabric bed a bit cleaner, though I'm pretty sure she still pees in it. Oh well, can't win them all.

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life ends when we become silent about what matters
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
Re: "Stop Pooping in your Bed!" and other Isabel issues
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:27:48 PM »
Yep, sounds like an awnry ratty to me. :yelcutelaugh:

Offline misslasagna

• Posts Too Much!
  • Peace. Love. Vegetarian.
    • Tumbleweed Rattery
Re: "Stop Pooping in your Bed!" and other Isabel issues
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 11:25:23 AM »
My Sid is a fat, lazy boy. He'll get out of his hammock walk 4 inches, pee (from the top level) and poop. Sometimes the poop falls out of the cage onto the floor and the pee sometimes gets on my walls (which is why I've had to put plastic mats on the floor and nail them to the walls).

It's just a lazy rat thing.  :doh: