Author Topic: Need a Play Pin, suggestions?  (Read 997 times)

Offline ZooKeeper

Need a Play Pin, suggestions?
« on: August 26, 2009, 01:45:58 PM »
My two little ratties  :BlueDumboSmile:  :BlueDumboBigEyes: need a place to play and run around other than their cage. My room is a little small and NOT rat safe. It would take weeks to get it that way, and even then....I just don't want to take the chance. Anyone out there with suggestions on a good rat play pin, how to make one, or even one for sale in Western Kentucky I am all ears!

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
Re: Need a Play Pin, suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 11:41:39 AM »
My room isn't really good for free ranging either. Sometimes I let them run around in the bathroom with the door shut (and a towel shoved in the crack at the bottom just in case!). I move the rugs and anything else on the floor and sit in there with them. Most of the time I just lay a blanket or two out on my bed and put toys and food out. They run around there any can't get down and I can sit with them if I feel like it.

Offline ZooKeeper

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 01:28:04 PM »
Those are some good ideas. I never even thought about the bathroom! I've tried the bed, but they are still a little scared to roam about too freely. Thanks for the suggestions

Offline CrestedRattery

• Crested Rattery
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 01:32:49 PM »
I let mine roam my bed whenever I'm watching TV. I'm thinking about getting a large kiddy pool or table for them to play on.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 11:32:22 AM by CrestedRattery »

Offline ZooKeeper

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »
Hmmm, that kiddy pool sounds also like a good idea. I would be a little nervous with a table for them to roam on though. My rats are still nervous around people, and when I go to pick them up (say to move them when I clean the cage) they typically will try to jump. Because of that, I'm shy from letting them roam on table tops. 

Offline neelia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 08:14:18 PM »
Yeah, table tops freak me out still, too slippery. I let mine roam on my bed (though that's out right now because my cats live in my room now) and I do the bathroom thing too.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 10:42:53 AM »
Hmmm, that kiddy pool sounds also like a good idea. I would be a little nervous with a table for them to roam on though. My rats are still nervous around people, and when I go to pick them up (say to move them when I clean the cage) they typically will try to jump. Because of that, I'm shy from letting them roam on table tops. 
A kiddy pool is great for...behaving rats, but most can easily be climbed out of.
As far as making one, there's cardboard boxes (very temporary, and must be very well cut or they're escapable) but you can also use stuff like this http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Fencing/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zbb05/R-100384028/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 to make one.  Cut to desired length, cable tie ends together to form a circle.  Next, measure the bottom and cut a piece to fit it.  Cable tie it to the circle and voila, an easy, cheap playpen.  I hope that's comprehensible as I'm not good at explaining this sort of thing.  Also, to make it more secure, in addition to cable/zip tying it, I'd "sew" it together with some twine or something.  Hope this helps.

Offline ZooKeeper

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 03:58:01 PM »
A kiddy pool is great for...behaving rats, but most can easily be climbed out of.
As far as making one, there's cardboard boxes (very temporary, and must be very well cut or they're escapable) but you can also use stuff like this http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Fencing/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zbb05/R-100384028/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 to make one.  Cut to desired length, cable tie ends together to form a circle.  Next, measure the bottom and cut a piece to fit it.  Cable tie it to the circle and voila, an easy, cheap playpen.  I hope that's comprehensible as I'm not good at explaining this sort of thing.  Also, to make it more secure, in addition to cable/zip tying it, I'd "sew" it together with some twine or something.  Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Sounds like a great idea! I've thought of doing just that with a ferret...but alas getting a ferret did not work out-as of yet. And yes I did understand what you said and thanks for the link to show me what to use!!

Offline tofu_titan

• avid tree climber
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 09:03:01 AM »
i have been using this playpen called the 'grrreat wall' for a little while ... there might be more or less r's in the name.. haha..
anyway, it's basically a 15-20 foot long piece of thick plastic that you can unroll and fasten together to form a pen. but until you learn the trick to putting it together, it's kinda hard. it's probably 2 feet tall and plenty study. the only problem is my girls quickly found out they they could jump over. so i binderclipped a large bed sheet to the top to act like a ceiling, and that seemed to work... and after a while, when they're more used to the pen, i'll take down the sheet and *hopefully* they wont jump over again..   :P
*the trick that i learned, for anyone that this might help, it to roll it out while it's lying flat on the floor (not standing up) and fold it in half, longways. then then i fold over the bottom end onto the top end (it's like making a really long envelope without sides) and fasten it...  i hope that made at least a little sense...

here, i found an old goosemoose link to a grrreat wall convo : http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4034469.msg4348746/,

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 10:04:29 AM »
If you plan on having rats for a while and don't mind making a small investment in something that will last forever and you won't have to replace, I would recommend getting a Martin's playpen - http://martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/ (it is the very first item).

I have one and I'm not sure how I survived without it before.

Offline morris

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 04:45:01 PM »
I just bought a 4' x 8' sheet of corruplast from a local sign shop.  It's the white stuff used to make campaign signs that stick in the ground at the side of the road.  They cut it down to 2' x 4' and I cut it with a rotary cutter in to 1' x 4' sections.  If you cut halfway through one side of the plastic it bends nicely to make corners.
My 2 month olds can jump to the top, but it slows them down enough so that I can play with and watch them together.  I like to sit with them.  They climb over and under my lap and the plastic wall keeps them from getting too far away!

Offline ZooKeeper

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 04:36:08 PM »
I would recommend getting a Martin's playpen - http://martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/ (it is the very first item).

Thanks for the link! There are things on it other than the playpin that I'm interested in! And thanks for the idea. I intend on having rats for a while, so I am for sure willing to make that investment!