Author Topic: Getting a new bunny, can't remember a thing about them! (Updated with PICS!!!)  (Read 2899 times)

Offline RainbowRatties

• Home Over the Rainbow Rattery
    • Home Over the Rainbow Rattery
I got my bunny today! She's definitely female, and beautiful. She's got these HUGE doe eyes, and her markings make me think of a horse... like a pinto and she's, well, she's huge. Not Flemish giant huge, at least not yet, but I have no idea what she is, or how old, just that she's female and the cage she's in is much too small, and one of her ears flops over.

I'd like to know what anyone thinks she may be, I was told possibly a mix of Flemish Giant and English Lop. Here's pics!

Also, any advice as to feeding, litter training, and things to watch out for would be great.

I had a couple of rabbits when I was a kid, but I didn't know much about them then, and they were outdoor bunnies. This one will be staying in a large pen in the living room, specifically decked out for her (any suggestions there would be great) and she'll be able to run as much as we can allow, which will be at least a few hours a day.

Name suggestions are great too, she reminds me of a dear or horse a lot of the time, so those could come into play, we've been thinking about Willow, Jade, and a few others, but any and all thoughts are welcome!

If she didn't find a home, they were going to sell her to a place that uses them for stew, and that's why I'm rescuing her. Not to mention that I like, fell in love when I saw her.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 08:47:48 PM by RainbowRatties »

Offline animalcrazy

Re: Getting a new bunny, can't remember a thing about them!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 03:57:03 PM »
Congrats on the rabbit!

For feeding she will need hay available to her at all times, after a certain age I think you are supposed to feed rabbits timothy hay, but I can't remember the cutoff, my guess would be your safe with giving her timothy hay now.  I don't know how you are really supposed to litter train but the only way it works for most of mine is to put the litter pan where they go to the bathroom the most (which won't take very long to figure out), but some of mine will move it to wherever their little hearts desire. lol.

Some of the things to put in her cage could include cheap baby toys, they like to pick stuff up and throw it, I also use the kinds that can be hooked together and hang it from the top of their cage and have attached bells to some of them and she might run around that (but if you don't won't her to wake you up at night, don't give her a bell ;D ).  If you want to go green you can use shredded paper in her litter box, but she will most likely dig in that and make a mess, not that she can't do that with anything else so you may want to put cardboard around that part of the cage, on the outside.  I also heard from the previous owner of two of my rabbits that they like to tear up old phone books.  As treats I've given them these things called Floss-eez, which are pieces of hollowed out wood stuffed with parsley and chlorophyll, it's basically a healthy dental treat.  I've also toilet paper tubes and stuffed them with hay (this idea came from a humane society), but I have not paper towel tubes because they usually have too much glue.

You can also give her some fruits and vegetables, they like kale but they can't eat too much of it because it will give them gas which isn't good and she shouldn't have more than ONE SMALL carrot a day despite popular belief.  If you ever have to give her medicine the easiest way to do that is to inject it into her favorite fruit, I use banana for mine, but she may be smart and start to associate that fruit with medicine because it will change the taste, in this situation you may have to switch it up a bit or force her to take it, but I will hope for both of your sakes that she doesn't need medicine.

Some things you may need to look out for poop being stuck to her butt, not eating, drinking, or going to the bathroom, sneezing, change in behavior, or goopiness (I can't think of the right word) around her eye, which comes from her tear ducts.

Good luck and have tons of fun with her!
Loving my bunnies, gerbils, frogs, fish, turtles, snails, and my boyfriend!

Offline animalcrazy

Re: Getting a new bunny, can't remember a thing about them!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 04:01:45 PM »
I forgot to add that you should also watch out for how long her teeth get to be.
Loving my bunnies, gerbils, frogs, fish, turtles, snails, and my boyfriend!