Author Topic: Fun Cat Fact!  (Read 1902 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Fun Cat Fact!
« on: September 16, 2009, 03:24:56 PM »
So as many of you probably already know, all Calico cats are female, but today, we learned why and I wanted to share! Because females have two X chromosomes, we have what's called "mosaic" genes. The Calico pattern is a mosaic pattern and can only occur with two X chromosomes. That's it, but I thought it was interesting :)
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Rotten Applesss

• Posts Too Much!
  • Peace, Love, & Paw Prints.
    • The Knotty Rat's Nest
Re: Fun Cat Fact!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 03:31:02 PM »
That is intersting :)
Thanks for sharing that with us!
RIP <3 Edward, McLOVIN, Jay, Silent Bob, Jigsaw, Templeton, Moe-Moe, Little Foot, and Jobin --- I miss you dearly <3

http://theknottyratsnest.etsy.com

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:58:26 PM »
This is why male calicos are very rare, and thus, very valuable.  I would think that a male calico would be XXY, chromosomally (is that even a word?).  In humans, that's called Klinefelter Syndrome.  Not sure if it'd be the same in cats or not...

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 05:08:37 PM »
If there were to be a "male" Calico, it would be XXY, and would be completely sterile. :)
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline lularat

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 06:14:32 PM »
Interesting, I always knew that calicos were female, and rarely male. I have a female who looks like both tortoise and calico. Are most tortoise females also?
~Carolyn~

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 06:16:14 PM »
Yes. It's the same genetic variation.

Offline Finding Nemo

• Just keep swimming!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 07:37:29 PM »
I had a took care of a male calico a few years ago, and he was completely sterile.
That didn't make him any less manly though! He as constantly by my side and demanding attention. But he was a bit on the small side, I don't know whether that's because he didn't have as many hormones to boost his growth or whatever, or if it was just his parents. Either way, I loved that cat<3
Oreo
Kiwi
Nemo

Offline flannel

• Posts Too Much!
  • When I grow up I wanna be a dumbo!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 01:17:39 AM »
So what is it, exactly that makes the calicos and torties totally spastic nutcases erm...unique individuals?  I don't think I've ever met one that didn't have some serious personality.  Does anyone even know?
"Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform."
- The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 06:57:56 PM »
Waverli definately has the most interesting personality that I've EVER seen in a cat. Her characteristics are that of a very emotional human. If you talk to her in the wrong tone she gets upset but on the flip side if, say for instance, she's in the pantry and you have to get her out she flies off the handle and slaps whoever's closest- be it one of the dogs or other cats or your leg.. :-\ She has never been allowed to be on the counters or tables (in her whole 2 years of life) and she'll jump on the coffee table right in front of me and sit down. Hello? What are you doing? Our other cats have personality but she takes the cake.

Offline miss_jenna

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 07:19:15 PM »
So what is it, exactly that makes the calicos and torties totally spastic nutcases erm...unique individuals?  I don't think I've ever met one that didn't have some serious personality.  Does anyone even know?

ha! I would like to know too! My tortie's nickname is toilet cat because the ONLY time she ever wants attention is when we are sitting on the toilet. lol.

My sweet girls <3

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 07:42:03 PM »

ha! I would like to know too! My tortie's nickname is toilet cat because the ONLY time she ever wants attention is when we are sitting on the toilet. lol.

I can't go to the bathroom without Waverli digging at the door and crying until I come out. LOL! My dad's calico has a weird foot fetish when you're on the toilet.

Offline ejp78

• ~A bunny cuddle a day keeps the bad moods away!~
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 01:46:54 PM »
I honestly didn't know that!  :eek:  Wow, very cool.
One of my first cats was a calico named "Honey" and she was a great mouser I remember that!  ;D
~Always imagine.~

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 12:32:41 AM »
Oh I love calicos!  :heart: My precious (pain in the bum) Emy is a calico. She knows she is special, and as such feels she deserves her own room  (our guest bedroom) :yelcutelaugh:

I knew calicos are mostly female, but oddly enough I've known a couple calico males. They were such grumps  :-X (ferel farm cats)
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3