Author Topic: 4 month old male aggression?  (Read 149 times)

Offline Prican_RatLuver

• Ritten
4 month old male aggression?
« on: September 22, 2009, 01:43:47 AM »
i have a 4 month old male rattie, i had bought him & his cage mate about 2 maybe even 3 weeks ago. his cage mate died the next day after bringing him home. at first "squeaky" was skittish and a little shy. now he is fun, comes to his name, follows me, grooms me and all the good stuff.

but i had read about how they practically NEED a companion, and i got one a few days ago & btw the baby i just got is 6 weeks old. i let them run around the bathroom and squeaky is acting mean towards him. i dont know if its him being dominant, or aggressive or just playing. he will make a hissing sound at the little guy then try flipping him on his back and try biting his ears or grabbing his fur. the baby just squeaks and gets all scared. i break it up when it happens. they arent in the same cage, but are in seperate ones. after squeaky attacks the little one then he will run all over me and sit on my shoulder & start making his little chattering sounds and cuddle with me. is he better off being a loner? or what else can i do to get him to like his new friend? the baby hasnt been aggressive to me or tried biting me, he actually gets more calm when i hold him close to me. but i dont know if i should wait a little more longer or what more to do. i only let them interact with eachother for about 10 mins and then i put them back in their cages and let squeaky run around as usual.

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
Re: 4 month old male aggression?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 01:59:19 AM »
I think your older rat is showing the new guy who's boss. They kinda wrestle each other and for a new little one it can be pretty dramatic and it sounds very dramatic. The rule is no blood no foul but keep a very close eye on them. Squeaks are normal, I hear them daily and they range in intensity. When your new it's hard to spot normal dominance behavior and aggression. I know some people keep a spray bottle close just in case things get out of hand. This is why it's good to slowly introduce them. You can get your older rat fixed when he's old enough and I've read that that can lessen aggressive tendencies. I read somewhere that you can put a dab of vanilla on both the rats and this helps with intros, I can't remember the specifics sorry.

Hopefully someone else can give some advice as well.

Offline Prican_RatLuver

• Ritten
Re: 4 month old male aggression?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 02:29:42 AM »
thanks for your advice,  :)