Author Topic: Neutering question  (Read 139 times)

Offline kittiesnratties

• I love animals so much I don't even eat them :-)
Neutering question
« on: September 23, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »
Ok, I have a rat named Sammie who will not get along with other rats at all. He bites to draw blood. He is an great with people but hates all other animals. Even when my cats go near his cage he attacks the bars. So whenever I let the boys out they HAVE to go near Sammie's cage. Well every time they do they get bit and end up bleeding. The same goes for when he is out, bee line for their cage to fight. Last night Guy got bit on his back and front feet. Poor thing was bleeding and holding his foot up. Well I decided it's time to get Sammie fixed. This is where my question comes in. I called my vet and asked how much and they between $100 and $150. Is this a lot or is it normal? I live by central Jersey shore so everything costs a lot more than most places but still have to ask. I will most likely bring him anyway because Dr. Sabia is great with rats and will be doing the surgery. Also will this most likely fix this problem? I really don't want to end up with a badly injured rat one day. And if he gets a hold of one of them he will be nasty and do damage. Plus I want him to have friends instead of being lonely. He is so smart and sweet though  :( Oh and is he biting his arm hair off or is this normal. It's been like this for as long as I can remember. He is around 9 months
RIP Dusty, Lenore, and Kiwi. My kitties: Selena and Jack My ratties: boys; Sammie, Tiger, Mister, Remmie, Shiloh, and Guy. girls; Pinkie aka Little Girl and Pumpkin My gerbils: Dora, and Deb  My Mice: Daisey, Mini and Patches My bunnies: Petey and Snickers

Offline coliekumar

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Neutering question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 12:36:07 AM »
It *should* work.  I have worked with many aggressive rats and a few VERY aggressive rats and neuters can really work wonders.  Him biting his arm hair off is not normal, but getting him "fixed" and in with some friends should greatly reduce that.  If he cannot get along with males even after his neuter (and I would wait a few weeks to let his hormones settle down before doing any intros) you can also try a female rat.  In the meantime try and move his cage away during free range  ;)
Two girls have arrived :) Names coming soon.

Offline kittiesnratties

• I love animals so much I don't even eat them :-)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 12:47:55 AM »
I was thinking the same thing about putting him with females after the fix. We have 3 females and I was must likely going to put him in with them. And as for the biting of his arms Idk if that is what he is doing. Does it look like thats what he is doing from the pic? Or can his arms just look like that? I also heard that if a male has a greasy back he is hormonal and his back does feels that way. I guess the best bet is to neuter. I just want him to be happy
RIP Dusty, Lenore, and Kiwi. My kitties: Selena and Jack My ratties: boys; Sammie, Tiger, Mister, Remmie, Shiloh, and Guy. girls; Pinkie aka Little Girl and Pumpkin My gerbils: Dora, and Deb  My Mice: Daisey, Mini and Patches My bunnies: Petey and Snickers

Offline caleppert

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 03:50:20 PM »
Neutering is the right way to go, it can help a lot with aggression issues.  As for the cost, I don't think 100-150 is really that expensive.  For surgeries, I see costs all over the place on this forum with some people having awesome clinics that charge 50 bucks for a tumor removal to people who have spent 500 dollars.  It really just depends.  If you are concerned about the cost, you could always call around to other exotic vets to get a better idea if you're getting a reasonable price for your area.  That being said, if you like this vet and trust him/her, perhaps paying more is worth it.