Author Topic: Violet LED lights?  (Read 171 times)

Offline Corpseflower

• Posts Too Much!
Violet LED lights?
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:28:03 AM »
My fiance bought me some for my room [they line the ceiling in a circle], part of it hangs over the rats' cage [not close enough to be grabbed, don't worry].  Will it bother them if I have it on at night?  Just don't want to irritate the little ones!

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
Re: Violet LED lights?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 01:52:18 AM »
I did a search on what rats see and found this "In a nutshell, rats are dichromats: they perceive colors rather like a human with red-green colorblindness, but their color saturation may be quite faint, and color appears to be far less important to them than brightness" So if you see the light they can, they wont see the color as much as the brightness. is it a nightlight? If it's and LED light I would think it would be fine.

I found my info on this website http://www.ratbehavior.org/RatVision.htm#ColorPerception There's more info there if your interested
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:55:19 AM by Hippidy »

Offline Corpseflower

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:10:32 PM »
They're lights like you'd hang outside.  We got them from the halloween section in walmart.  I had them on last night, and it certainly didn't deter them from their nighttime antics. Which may or may not be a good thing.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Billie40

• Posts Too Much!
    • Billie's Bunks & Hides
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 01:53:07 PM »
As long as they're not too bright I don't think I'd worry. If they're bright enough for you to read by it might confuse them a bit and alter their patterns. Most animals require a certain amount and quality of dark and light for optimal health.