Author Topic: 3 week kitten with 3 feet. (Added pics. Warning: Graphic.)  (Read 5791 times)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: 3 week kitten with 3 feet. (Added pics. Warning: Graphic.)
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 09:51:08 AM »
Forky, the kicking doesn't seem to be too much of a problem yet, as her nub doesn't quite REACH for it to rub anything, but boy does it kick. Lol.

I'll hit PetLand this afternoon and see if they have it there cause it's next to my house. If not, I'll run to Petsmart later. :]

Heather, she is definitely not three weeks. She looks closer to 4-5. She has all her teeth that I can tell, and they're SHARP! I forgot how sharp little kitten teeth were. I'm still softening her food a little bit, and she munches happily on it.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 11:45:25 AM »
I thought she looked older too. I decided from a previous thread I was a poor judge of age from pics.  :P

Her eyes are starting to color from the dull greyblue young kittens have. I dont know what age that actually happens but my rescues eyes were around that color and the vet said 6-7wks. 

Hopefully the leg heals and you have no problems.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 11:30:11 AM »
Well, Forky, just to make ourselves feel better, we switched her to Blue Buffalo kitten chow. She's doing well on it, no more diarrhea. She's active, and keeps busting open her wound. We've called the vet, and they said they'd prefer to wait until she's a bit bigger before amputating.

I'm going to post my hammocks and pet beds in the pack rat section... And see if maybe I can sell enough to help pay for her amputation. All vets office, including my rat vet which I think I'll be taking her to, is quoting me with office visit and such around $350-$400. Even if I can get some of that from selling hammocks it will help immensely. Not sure if you saw my puppy's thread, but last week she was spayed, and then had an allergic reaction and had to be rushed to the vet. So that set us back a little bit.

Oh, and also, most vets have quoted us that they will not take off at the knee, that they would take the entire leg off. What do you think of that?

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 01:26:17 PM »
I dont know. The back leg is a whole nother area. It may be it causes back issues or something.

I would definitely search high and low for good info.
I have had vets suggest things just because the alternative is more difficult or takes longer than the other.

From years and years of past experience of not doing the ideal thing because the vet said it was ok I am much more careful to be better informed now.

Will she let you wrap it? Can you glue it shut with tissue glue?  I wanted to put one of those rubber chair leg caps on my cat. lol  I think it would be ideal if you could get it to stay on.  :)

ETA****

I googled amputate cat hind leg images and found all of them that i looked at to have remove the entire leg.

It also will give you an idea of what it will look like afterwords.  If you have a vet school nearby you might check to see if they are interested in doing it. I dont know how you feel about going to a school though.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:58:14 PM by forkyfork »

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2009, 02:02:55 PM »
I think I'd prefer to just go through my vet, but I am still calling around. I posted in Pack Rat. If you know anyone looking for hammocks, pet beds, or just to make a donation, please send them that way. We all know any little bit helps.

I searched pictures, too. They look horrible. I'm scared for the wee mite.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »
You might want to put a link at the bottom of your sig and in the cat and dog pack rat.

I didnt know cause I dont go to the rats pack rat and they are all different.

I am looking for a dog bed. I was going to make one because I need something in particular. Ill email you later to see if you have any ideas.

I read a few stories. Cats are amazing in that they really adjust well to physical changes and they seem to handle pain well.

I did read something about phantom leg pain. It said to curl the nerves and this helps. See what you vet suggests.
I never really thought about it. Leo lost the use of his nerves in his leg before the amputation.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2009, 09:55:02 PM »
I will probably do that.

Yes, feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do for you!

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009, 11:35:15 AM »
I'm glad to hear she's not a little baby kitten! Looked older to me too but sometimes kittens are hard to judge when they are little. If you want to get her on raw now is the time. Kittens are the easiest to switch but the longer you feed dry or canned food the harder it gets because it's addicting. PM me if you want some pointers. Waverli weaned onto raw fully at 4.5 weeks.. if your kitten has teeth she can eat bone (though small and soft- obviously not a giant turkey leg).

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2009, 12:44:58 PM »
I think that the reasoning behind removing the entire leg, vs. just at the knee, is that whatever is left of the leg is essentially dead weight, and can throw off the cat's balance, whereas if you remove the entire leg, they move the remaining leg toward the middle, and you'd never know they were missing one.  It does look scary, but once she heals up, it'll be hard to tell that she's missing a leg!  Cats really do adjust very well to this, and the younger the are, the easier it is for them to adjust.  Give the sweetie kisses for me!  She's such a doll.

Offline Padre

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2009, 06:45:58 PM »
Hi...I'm new here and work in emergency medicine for the past 20 years...and anyway...I've not read through the whole of the posting yet, but on the first page I have not seen any suggestions for fashioning a "boot of sorts, whihc is exactly what we would do if this were a human.

I see no reason why this could not be done and opt out of the full amputation, whihc always presents additional problems along with it.

That's a beautiful kitten and I'm willing to bet since it's already so little, it could get used to or trained to wear a boot lengthening the leg to normal size and then you just change as time goes on.

In humans, we rely on a suction for a lot of prosthetics, so if you have no ideas, a harnes of some type could be made, with a lightweight, broad strap or pattern that will keep the boot/prosthetic in place and you will simply change it every once in a while as the kitten grows into adulthood.  If you begin to see a pressure sore developing (we call these decubitus ulcers in himan and they are the same in animals...), you make adjustments, massage the area to keep blood flow regular (take the boot off during "down" time and I see no reason the cat should not do well like this.

I cannot believe somebody has not already come up with this, since it sure beats the heck out of the risky amputation surgery.

If you need help, I'm nearby and you can send me a note to dougnoneyobusiness  at yahoo.com and I will gladly assist you.

If the would breaks down, a lot of the bacteria that plagues animals is the same for humans, just get some triple antibiotic ointment or cream if you want to avoid the grease of the ointment, and put a layer on there under the boot, and the cat will not lick it off.  I'd probably opt for the cream in this case since ointment will not penetrate as thoroughly.I'm no more than a few hundred miles from you...so I could just drop something in the mail or if we have private messaging in this forum, we could do it there, because you don't know me...but you've already got some pretty good advice here and hats off to nakedrats since that was really nice of you to get into detail and offer your help like you did.  Maybe you guys can help me with a dilemma I will post next...

Offline reddeb

• Ritten
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 04:08:24 AM »
Hi,

I just logged in so I could discuss your kitty. I think she's older then 3-4 weeks. Definitely looks much more mature than a 4 week old. A 4 week old usually is not at the stage of toy-playing yet but just beginning to self-groom. I would age her at 6-7 weeks at which point she really shouldn't need kmr or goatsmilk, should save you some money.

I'm dealing with my own tripod rescue this week as well. I'm in Los Angeles. I received a phone call recently from a local shelter that they were at their limit of cats/kittens and if they received any more they would simply euthanize. My friend runs a rescue, I rushed over to pick up and save the 3 kittens the shelter that would be 'put down'. While they were being placed in my carrier a man came in with a tiny baby, missing her rear foot. He found the mother attacked and mostly eaten with just the one baby, it's foot missing and beginning to heal. The shelter worker gave her a quick look over and then placed her in the carrier along with the other 3.
She is definitely too young to be adopted. She cannot yet go to the bathroom on her own, at all. I need to rub her bottom with a warm, rough wash cloth. She does have some teeth and will eat some canned kitten food which I have mixed with kmr. I have also given her kmr in a shallow dish which she laps up. The other kittens have shown no interest in the kmr. They are self-grooming and playing with each other and with her but not yet with toys, maybe 5-6 or 7 weeks. She is not yet grooming or playing. She is missing just her foot, right at the ankle and she walks on the stump. I am guessing her to be 3-4 weeks and your baby looks about twice her size. Your baby looks older than the other 3 kitties I'm currently caring for, but who knows, there is often variation.

I'm going to take the 3 older kittens to my friend in the morning so she can offer them as part of her Sunday adoption but I'm going to keep the little wee tripod baby home. She is so clearly not ready for adoption and I could never forgive myself if my children & I went to so much trouble to care for her these last few days and then she went to a home where her new people did not know how to accommodate her special needs. My dogs have fallen madly in lover with her, the one dog refuses to go in the yard to the bathroom, I have to take him for a walk to get him to leave her side. he then comes running back in to check on her. She loves having a bath, it's so sweet. I've been adding a drop of orange essential oil (kills fleas safely) and a drop of tea tree oil (natural antibiotic, very healing) in the bath water. Just a drop each, not enough that she ends up smelling of it, but I think it safely helps with the healing. You don't want to put it directly on the skin, I've been washing her in the bathroom sink, a drop or 2 is all that's needed. This little girl's wound is healing quite well, but another inexpensive treatment option is colloidial silver, which you could put directly on the wound. You should be able to find it at Whole Foods, silver has been used in healing skin wounds for hundreds of years. We used it when one of my sons had an mrsa skin infection, doctors are now going back to older treatments.

Like I said, I'm new here! If you'd like a picture of my baby, let me know and I'll try to figure out how to post one! How great is it to know you're not alone!

All my best~

Deb

Offline Padre

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 03:49:05 PM »
Silver is a great idea for an open wound and so on, and we use it in human medicine for burns regularly, but this wound in your pictures should really just need to be kept clean and for your kitty as well as the other new user here (I'm including myself as new since I've only been here a couple days) your little one might actually suffer skin and tissue breakdown as she ages sinvce she is not yet walking on the stump with any significant weight.

The silver will help heal and kill and push back a bacterial infection, but often infections like MRSA stay doremant in the body afterward.  Localized infections are  knocked down but the germs are often systemic in nature.

Regardless, does the oil from the orange actually kill the fleas?

Is it in any way poisonous to the animal or..?

It would be great to have a really effective natural way to kill them and I actually like the smell of oranges and citrus so if it isn't that sickly old woman perfume smell...I wouldn't mind the cat smelling like oranges.