Author Topic: Should I be concerned or should I just stop buying Bunny food?  (Read 6019 times)

Offline RainbowRatties

• Home Over the Rainbow Rattery
Should I be concerned or should I just stop buying Bunny food?
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:57:52 AM »
Jubilee, my large, possibly mixed-breed bunny, doesn't eat her food.

She digs through it, flings most if it all over the house, and eats the little colorful things in it. She then proceeds to eat the dog food. We feed our dog Nutro Max Adult Natural, and it seems like everyone loves it. The rats, mice, ferrets, one cat, Jubilee, the Hamsters when we give it to them, pretty much everyone except the fish eat the dog food! Of course the only one who eats just dog food is the dog, but with Jubilee wasting most of her food and eating his anyway, should I even keep buying her food? We've tried a few different kinds, and she eats the hay that we have for her, but she just doesn't want the food. Should I feed her dog food instead of spending money that's completely wasted on her food? Would it be unhealthy for her? Or would it be alright if we fed her dog food and supplemented with some things, because there's really no way to stop her from eating his food, she has a corner of our living room, but she doesn't stay in a cage, and whenever she spots his food she goes for it.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Should I be concerned or should I just stop buying Bunny food?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 03:41:35 PM »
Rabbit food shouldn't really have little colorful bits in it.  If you have a Petsmart near you, they've started carrying Oxbow brand food, which is good high quality, stuff.  Both my guinea pig and my chin are on it, and love it. 

I'm not sure about a rabbit eating dog food.  I didn't think rabbits were omnivores, but I could be wrong. 

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 03:07:12 PM »
Rabbits are herbivores. Their food need to be all plant-based and access to the dog food needs to be blocked somehow. It isn't healthy for her.
The food with the colorful bits is not good rabbit food..there is a lot in there that doesn't need to be. Try Oxbow T which you can find at petsmart. It is a timothy-based pellet for rabbits over 6 months of age. This food is all pellets like it should be.
It is good that she is eating her hay. There are people who do no-pellet rabbit diets but you must be VERY aware of her dietary needs in order to give her the essential vitamins and minerals that she needs that normally would come from her pellet food. Not many people recommend doing it since it is so hard to balance. You supplement by feeding a great variety of vegetables in specific portions. It would take a lot of research. Some people would probably be happy to discuss it with you on this rabbit forum.

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 07:35:00 AM »
We do a mix of a alfalfa pellets and the kaytee timothy complete and it works really well. Plus veggies everyday.

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:26:24 PM »
Be careful giving an adult bunny too much calcium. Alfalfa is calcium rich and that is why the hay is only recommended as a treat. Too much calcium=bladder sludge=lots of vet visits and manual bladder expressing!

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »
Be careful giving an adult bunny too much calcium. Alfalfa is calcium rich and that is why the hay is only recommended as a treat. Too much calcium=bladder sludge=lots of vet visits and manual bladder expressing!
I do know that thanks :) They used to be on all alfalfa pellet diet and I never had any problems with sludge etc.

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »
It was worth mentioning, glad you already know though.

Offline Leah636

• Ritten
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 11:11:46 PM »
Have you tried Purina Rabbit Chow? It's always done great for me, but you can only get it at specific dealers. You can find one near you at www.rabbitchow.com. Also, they just came out with a new line called "Natural AdvantEdge." I was reading up on their website, and it's there's a lot of research about it plus it's made from only fresh, natural ingredients. Pretty good stuff!

Offline Lady_Penrhyn

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 06:11:25 AM »
The Purina Chow is average, it's Alfalfa based so can only be used on young rabbits (or pregnant/lactacting females).  The only two I would consider feeding to buns would be the Professional or Complete, the Garden one is quite bad, full of seeds + dried fruit which are high in fat + sugar and I would not feed that to a rabbit (or any animal actually).

I'd stick with the Owbow food personally, I have yet to find a better quality Rabbit food.

5 mice: Janet, Sam, Cassie, Vala + Jennifer
4 Guinea Pigs: Josephine, Caramel, Frank + Josef
1 Elephant/Guinea Pig/Basenji/Fox Terrier: Kara (sounds like an Elephant, eats Oxbow Pellets...strange creature!)

Offline RainbowRatties

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 03:16:30 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help! I've finally found a bunny food that she likes, she eats it well (very very well) and has been mostly staying out of the dog food. I can't remember the name of it, and since I'm not home atm, I can't really check, but I can get ahold of it locally and she's good about eating it, and as far as I've read here and in any links, it has all the stuff she needs, and she gets her healthy hay and some fruits and veggies, she's a big girl and she'll be very happy, as soon as spring comes she'll have her very own room on the sun porch  ;D.

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 11:44:39 AM »
I had to go back to alfalfa pellets for a while one of my buns is underweight from a injury. Unless someone can recommend something else for him to gain weight. I always stay away with anything with corn though.