Author Topic: Calling hammock makers and rescues: hammocks to rescues for the holidays :D  (Read 17181 times)

Offline tysetsu

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ty's Rat Shack
I know that I am certainly planning to donate hammocks for the holidays, Christmas to be more exact, as I will be on winter break from school then with much more time to sew. No rattie should spend christmas without a warm hammock to cozy up in!  :heart: I'm sure other hammock makers were planning on the same thing, so I was hoping that we could organize our efforts in some way.

I'm open to suggestions as I haven't completely thought this through. Some ideas:
We could compile a list of rescues and a list of hammock makers willing to donate. We may have to gather donators first too see what kind of load we can handle?
If there are others out there who can't donate directly, we could create some way for them to purchase directly from us makers and have the hammocks sent to the rescues for a discount.

Current List of Hammock Makers
Myself- tysetsu
Neelia
Rattiesix
LOTR_Ratties
evilhobbitgirl
Lauren_22
monkey7
JesB
Claymore
LWade0319
synelovator

ETC Donators
Pennylane

List of Rescues
*Those who would like to be considered for this list, please let me know*
Mainely Rat Rescue
Huron Valley Rat Rescue
Capital City Rat Rescue
Wee Companions
Star's Rat Recue
Rhinelander Rat Rescue
Small Angels Rescue
Houston Rat Rescue
Little Mischief Rescue
Tipsy Tail Small Animal Rescue
Critter Camp
Kavid's Rodent Rescue
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:03:19 PM by tysetsu »
Custom hammocks <3 Add Ty's Rat Shack on facebook!

Offline neelia

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Calling hammock makers: donating hammocks to rescues for the holidays
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:42:27 AM »
I love the idea of getting this organized into one thread. I am hoping to donate hammocks too as it's going to start getting cold out there for lots of rescues. Especially if the rescue ratties don't mind scrap fabrics that aren't the prettiest patterns! I got a bunch for free of freecycle, that way I can donate more because if I had to buy all the fabric I couldn't do much!  ;D

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 10:20:45 AM »
I can donate some. Count me in!

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life ends when we become silent about what matters
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 11:05:37 AM »
I was definately planning on making some hammies to send to a rescue or two around Christmas time. And I love the idea of us all planning together what to do. Maybe this way, if we plan who is going to send to where, no rescue will get left out! That would be wonderful. Well I'll keep checking back on this thread to see how things progress! :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Offline tysetsu

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ty's Rat Shack
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:07:04 PM »
Awesome! I'll start putting together a list of donators and a list of rescues.

Is there any way we should "assign" rescues to donators? Would random assignment be best?

Also, are any of you guys willing to donate to more than one rescue?

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
I may be willing to donate to more than one rescue depending on my financial situation at the time. I can donate to at least one rescue.

We could get all the rescues we want to donate to on a list, and then figure out how many hammocks we want to donate to each rescue. Then people could sign up per rescue depending on what they could donate?

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
I'm in! :)
I was thinking of stuffing a flat rate box full of some things for a rescue (hammocks, hooks, nummy food pouches). If we got a good list of rescues together we'll have a better idea of whether people who are able are needed to send out more than one.
Hopefully we can make it so every rescue gets at least one Christmas box from us! :)

Offline tysetsu

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ty's Rat Shack
Yay, thank you evilhobbitgirl :) Yeah, I think for now I'll just work on getting the lists together, and then we'll see about doubling up and such.

Oh, and I suppose we could start recommending rescues. Any rescues who aren't named, but would like to be listed, please let me know!

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Obviously Mainely Rat Rescue and Huron Valley Rat Rat Rescue. Those are two off the top of my head.

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
Here is a little list I put together with their websites. I'm sure there are more out there that I didn't think of/find!

Mainly Rat Rescue
http://www.mainelyratrescue.org
Capital City Rat Rescue
http://www.capitalcityratrescue.com
Wee Companions
http://www.weecompanions.com/
Huron Valley Rat Rat Rescue
http://www.hvrr.petfinder.com
Star's Rat Recue
http://www.starsratrescue.com/
Rhinelander Rat Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/rhinelander_rat_rescue/
Small Angels Recue
http://www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline tysetsu

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ty's Rat Shack
Awesome! I'm about to head to library to write a paper, but later tonight or maybe tomorrow, I'll go through and see if I can find more rescues/etc. In the meantime, please feel free to suggest more, or have your name added to the list of hammock makers.

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life ends when we become silent about what matters
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
Don't forget about Houston Rat Rescue! They are wonderful. Here's their link:
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/TX1028.html

I will make at least one medium flat rate box stuffed with hammies for whatever rescue ends up needing it most, I don't really have a preference. I will TRY and make another box full for a second rescue, but let's see how the first box goes first! I will start now just making a hammie here and there in my spare time whenever I get the chance. Are we going to set like a certain date that everyone should have their hammies ready to ship by or anything? Thanks so much for starting this Ty, wonderful idea to have this be more organized!!! :thumbsup2:

Offline Pumpkinseed

• Posts Too Much!
and Wee Companions O.O
Mommy to: 7 Furbabies; Bug, Boo, Banana, Kazoo, Elliot, Simon and Duncan,
and one skin Baby; Little Miss Lily-Bug

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed...
    • The Rat Stash
I think this is a wonderful idea. I'm most likely going to stick to doing my flat rate boxes & letting whoever wants to donate the shipping cost pick their rescue for it to go to, but I can definitely try & keep you guys updated on what rescues I've sent out to if it helps you any. Right now my order volume is just too far out to say for sure how much I will be able to sew, even with my helper elfs chipping in, but if you guys fall short definitely let me know & I'll see what I have on hand to help out!

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
You can mark me down!

ETA: Also for a rescue, don't forget Little Mischief Rescue!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:53:50 AM by Lauren_22 »

Offline neelia

• Posts Too Much!
I'm so excited to use up this box of random fabric that's just been sitting here on my printer for 2 months  :cheeky:

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
I can do at least a medium flat rate box, maybe a large one. I have lots of odds and ends and really random fabrics around here, as well as some cast offs that have some uneven seams, or things like that. And I can definitely make more.

Ill try to remember to check this thread to see which rescue I'll be donating to, or however we decide to do this. :P

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed...
    • The Rat Stash
Petunia just mentioned to me that if you mail within your own postal "zone", you can usually send a box larger than a flat rate for less money than the flat rate box cost. Something to look into & consider when pairing people up with rescues!  :thumbsup2:

Offline monkey7

• Posts Too Much!
    • Monkey's Corner
I will donate a medium/large flat rate box of goodies to a rescue.  I'll update when I figure out what I can give.

Offline JesB

• Posts Too Much!
Hey ... I don't sew often ... or ... really at all anymore ... HOWEVER ... I have tons of fabric sitting around ... and a sewing machine ... and seeing has how I'm usually up til all hours of the night ... I can' probably make at least a good amount of standard hammocks ... maaaybe some cubes ...

I guarantee nothing fancy ... but I can definately make some donatable stuffs ... and it'll give me, Kate ... and ... I think I'llll pull my sister in on this too .. some practice!!

We had plans to start making hammocks to help fund our own rescue operation we have starting up here LOL!

So, if anyone has any tips on how to make some of the more advanced stuffs ... I'll take it ...

But you can count me in for atleast some hammocks!

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
Hey ... I don't sew often ... or ... really at all anymore ... HOWEVER ... I have tons of fabric sitting around ... and a sewing machine ... and seeing has how I'm usually up til all hours of the night ... I can' probably make at least a good amount of standard hammocks ... maaaybe some cubes ...

I guarantee nothing fancy ... but I can definately make some donatable stuffs ... and it'll give me, Kate ... and ... I think I'llll pull my sister in on this too .. some practice!!

We had plans to start making hammocks to help fund our own rescue operation we have starting up here LOL!

So, if anyone has any tips on how to make some of the more advanced stuffs ... I'll take it ...

But you can count me in for atleast some hammocks!

www.rattributes.com has some great tutorials on the basic hammocks and some of the more advanced hammocks.

Offline tysetsu

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ty's Rat Shack
JesB, thanks so much! It's great of you to offer, and no worries, I'm sure whatever you make will rock! the rattributes link is absolutely wonderful! That's actually how I learn to sew my hammies haha

Offline JesB

• Posts Too Much!
Ooooo that website looks nice ... we'll go thru our fabric laters ...

Maaaybe we'll even have some up for sale next week  :yelcutelaugh: :yelcutelaugh:

Offline neelia

• Posts Too Much!
Got some more free & cheap fabrics today at yard sales that I'll be using most of to do hammock donations!  :hyper:

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
I was going to suggest also, that if anyone wants to help out but they don't know how to make hammies that they could donate fabric to the makers, which would help a great deal.  :thumbsup2: