Author Topic: "Pillow Case" liners  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Corpseflower

• Posts Too Much!
"Pillow Case" liners
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:06:02 PM »
So I've never actually *made* liners for my CN or my Super Pet, I just cut fleece and stick it on with binder clips.  Recently these binder clips have been annoying the crap out of me and my boys just find a way to crawl under the liners so I've been trying to think of an alternative.  What I've come up with is to basically make the liners like a pillow case.  What I mean by this is that they would slip over the shelf and zip up on one end for easy cleaning.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this.  Or if you see some gigantic flaw I'm missing.  :yelcutelaugh:  Thanks!

Offline critterchic

• Posts Too Much!
Re: "Pillow Case" liners
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:41:55 PM »
This is how I make my liners for the FN. I use one piece of fleece for the top, rat side, and sew a piece of cotton fabric for the under side, sew Velcro to both ends. The cotton fabric in solid colors is about $1.99 a yard on sale. Then I make a double sided fleece liner with felt inside, for stability, and put that on top of the pillow case liner so they will burrow under that and leave the pillow case liners alone. They are very easy to make.

"This is the beginning of a new day.You have been given this day to use as you will. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.When tomorrow comes,this day will be gone forever; in it's place is something that you have left behind, let it be something good."

Offline Corpseflower

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 08:47:15 PM »
So it basically velcros together?  Like, on one side or all the sides?

Offline critterchic

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 08:51:36 PM »
Sew velcro on the ends of both pieces, then put those two ends together (wrong side out) then sew up the remaining three sides, turn right side out and done.
"This is the beginning of a new day.You have been given this day to use as you will. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.When tomorrow comes,this day will be gone forever; in it's place is something that you have left behind, let it be something good."

Offline Corpseflower

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 08:56:20 PM »
Ah, that does sound a lot more simple than a zipper.  Is it hard to get them off when you clean?

Thanks for the advice!

Offline critterchic

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:04:45 PM »
Glad to help.  :BlueDumboSmile:

Take the pan out, undo velcro, pull out pan and done. When washing just make sure the velcro is together or it will attach to anything else in the wash.

Offline DaniDee

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 09:04:36 AM »
I make the pillowcase style too, but I dont even bother with velcro.  I just make it about 3 inches longer than I need to, stick the pan in, and just fold the extra three inches under when I put the pan in the cage.  Call me lazy, but it works.

Offline arumberg

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Rat Lounge
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 09:36:28 PM »
I make the pillowcase style too, but I dont even bother with velcro.  I just make it about 3 inches longer than I need to, stick the pan in, and just fold the extra three inches under when I put the pan in the cage.  Call me lazy, but it works.

+1

I do the same thing.

Offline neelia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 11:19:39 PM »
I'd try one set before you go crazy with it. My girls ripped apart my pillow case liners within days. I can still use them... but now they look more like a holey book  ???

Offline Corpseflower

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 11:20:52 PM »
That's the plan, neelia.  :thumbsup2:  My boys aren't extreme chewers though, so maybe I'll have good luck.

Offline Claymore

• Posts Too Much!
  • Claymore my <3
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 03:03:00 AM »
I use the pillow case style too, except that mine are a little more complicated.  I have the cage-side section made out of a layer of fleece, a layer of towel, a layer of vinyl mattress cover, and another layer of fleece.  The underside is just cotton fabric.  I also use the velcro to close it.  For the shelves of my FN, I have the liner covering the bottom of the metal shelf itself, and put button holes in it for the hanging loops to fit through.  I use eyelets for the top layer so that the ladder fits through, and use button holes on the bottom for the tip of the ladder hook to go through so it doesn't wear a hole in it.  I'll post some pics later on when I get back on my own computer.  The boys don't really chew the liner, and the places where they do can just be hand sewn closed.  The towel and vinyl layers keep the pee from soaking all the way through to the pans and shelves, and I don't really notice a smell from the liners themselves, and therefore only change them once a week.  That is no guarantee they don't smell, though, I just don't notice it because I'm in the house all day (I don't have a job).  The liners are relatively heavy because of the towel, but I find it's worth it, and they are a lot more cushy.  The boys will chew out the bottom of their shoe box so the liner is the floor inside the box, lol.
Happy Endings Mischief: Jack, Cooper, Moe, Solitaire, Othello, Rossie, Jazz, Raquaza, Elmo, Breeze, LaRaeRae & Laurelee.

Rainbow Bridge: 29 angels waiting