Author Topic: Warning for the fokes that use Yesterday's News...  (Read 12188 times)

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
Warning for the fokes that use Yesterday's News...
« on: October 31, 2009, 10:32:04 PM »
It's not 100% paper and actually contains 50% wood pulp--both hard and soft woods.

Thank you for contacting Nestlé Purina PetCare Company.

We appreciate your interest in our products. Yesterday's News(r) brand is made of recycled newspaper and wood pulp. It consists of 50% Recycled Paper (Newspaper, Magazine, Office Paper, Kids Homework, Corrugated Cardboard Material), 50% Wood Pulp (Hard and Soft Wood), Myacide - An antimicrobial agent to "Prohibit the Growth of Odor-Causing Bacteria", Unscented - Of course has no fragrance.

The inks used in newspaper and magazines are mainly soy based and any residual solvents are flashed off during the printing process. Our pelletizing process physically removes any "free" ink from the paper during the sizing procedure. The pellets are under high pressure and heat preventing any inks from bleeding onto carpets or cat's paws. A pellet can be dropped into a glass of water and the ink will not bleed. We test our products for heavy metals and petroleum based toxins periodically throughout the year and they pose no threat to pets or other small animals.

The difference between the litters is scented or unscented and the pellets are of different sizes.

Yesterday's News(r) brand Cat Litter Original Formula Unscented -Absorbent 1.5-inch long grayish-black paper-based thin rod pellets with odor control for cats. Unscented Original Formula. Larger Pellets.

Yesterday's News(r) brand Ferret Litter - Absorbent 3/4-inch long grayish-black paper-based rod pellets with odor control for ferrets. Mini pellets texture. The ferret litter is the thinnest of all the litters. Non-scented. Made with recycled materials (50% post consumer content). Mini-size pellets

Yesterday's News(r) brand Rabbit Litter- Absorbent 1.5-inch long grayish-black paper-based thin rod pellets with odor control for rabbits. Regular texture. Non-scented. Made with recycled materials (50% post consumer content). Larger pellets.

Yesterday's News(r) brand Small Animal and Bird Bedding- Absorbent 3/8-inch long grayish-black paper-based thin rod pellets with odor control. Small animal bedding texture. Non-scented. Made with recycled materials (50% post consumer content). Smaller pellets are ideal for Animals That Dig and Burrow.

We hope this information is helpful and that you will let us know if you have any other questions.

Again, thank you for visiting our web site."

I know many people have used it for years with no problems, but it contains soft woods, which as we all know are huge no-no's. Just thought I'd let you guys know :)

(Cross posted from another rattie site.)
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline Moo_Max_RATS

• Posts Too Much!
  • ~If you take the Plunge, be sure you can Swim~
Re: Warning for the fokes that use Yesterday's News...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:18:24 PM »
Wow, That is suprizing. :-\

Offline mcfate

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 11:56:02 PM »
 :(  I only use it in litter boxes...but darn.  So since it has softwoods in it, and they pee on it, it could release those itcky fumes that are bad for them?  Maybe aspen would be the way to go now?

Offline Drache

• The Crittery
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 01:17:39 AM »
Softwoods are not recommended because of the phenols (oils) that are released during processing. These oils are toxic when inhaled and can have lots of negative effects on our pets health. Everything from respiratory problems to kidney problems to small litters and poor development of young.

However, kiln-dried (that is to say, heat treated) softwood bedding doesn't have these phenols. The processing eliminates them. Even kiln-dried pine beddings can be safely used for rats, provided it's not too dusty. The "high pressure and heat" process this company uses most likely renders the pellets free of phenols. We'd need more information to know for sure, but take a whiff of a bag of pine, and then take a whiff of a bag of YN and tell me the difference.

To be honest, I'd be more concerned about the "antimicrobial agent to "Prohibit the Growth of Odor-Causing Bacteria" ". A) What is this agent, B) Why don't they call it by name, and C) Why do they use quotation marks for the Prohibit the Growth of Odor-Causing Bacteria?

I use YN in my rats litterboxes too. I'm interested to know more, but this email doesn't concern me too much.

PM me if you need help joining!

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 01:49:11 AM »

To be honest, I'd be more concerned about the "antimicrobial agent to "Prohibit the Growth of Odor-Causing Bacteria" ". A) What is this agent, B) Why don't they call it by name, and C) Why do they use quotation marks for the Prohibit the Growth of Odor-Causing Bacteria?

The quotes around that phrase worry me as well. The original poster from FR emailed Purina again to find out more about that. I'll post what, if anything, they find out concerning it

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 07:45:02 AM »
I use Exquisicat unscented paper litter from petsmart I wonder whats in it...

Offline Nat Loves Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • My sweethearts, Alice and Rosalie <333
    • Rat Love
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 11:31:36 AM »
 :( But I was just planning on buying that for the litter boxes! It's still safe... right? No? Risky? Ahhh!

PS- I currently use aspen in the litter boxes and it gets kicked EVERYWHERE.  :P

What do we do now?  :-[

Offline PotHBP

• Posts Too Much!
  • "You are my life now"
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 11:39:08 AM »
I only use Aspen now, but I've tried Yesterday's News before. I always thought it was the best kind of litter. Hopefully it's still okay.
Vegetarian since August 2009. 

Pet's name: Victor

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 11:39:55 AM »
:( But I was just planning on buying that for the litter boxes! It's still safe... right? No? Risky? Ahhh!

PS- I currently use aspen in the litter boxes and it gets kicked EVERYWHERE.  :P

What do we do now?  :-[

buy scatterproof litterboxes http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752717

Offline Moe

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 11:55:04 AM »
Honestly, I'm not too concerned. Yes, the evidence overwhelmingly suggests that prolonged contact with soft wood chips results in lung and liver damage. However, most of us aren't keeping our rats on YN. My rats get in their tiny litter box when they need to eliminate, leave their droppings, and hop out. Thirty seconds every now and then on top of a material that's part soft wood is not comparable to the conditions created in experiments that led lab researchers to stop using soft wood.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 12:12:40 PM »
the softwood isn't the issue it is the mystery stuff they use to treat the litter.

Offline Nat Loves Rats

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Love
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 12:17:03 PM »
Oooh, ahhhhh

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 12:56:08 PM »

They do name it. It's called Myacide. The reason they put it in quotes is because it's quoted from the BASF website.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline mcfate

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 01:27:10 PM »
I was trying to reseach about the Myacide, but kept getting things about oil rigs and what not.  So is Myacide safe?  The BASF website is not helpful?  or maybe the cold medicine is making me floaty?

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »

They do name it. It's called Myacide. The reason they put it in quotes is because it's quoted from the BASF website.

Oh I didn't even read the OP

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
  • My name is Grace, not Penny! ;)
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 05:29:06 PM »
Could it cause respiratory infections? My rats have had bad, mysterious URIs... I'm not pleased with this new discovery...
I am ratless. Someday I will own rats again.

Rats across the Bridge: Penny, Heidi, Jerry, Teddy, Lucy, Sophie, Silhouette, Jupiter, Ozy, and Rorschach. I love you all and hope we will someday meet again. :heart:

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 06:15:44 PM »
Could it cause respiratory infections? My rats have had bad, mysterious URIs... I'm not pleased with this new discovery...

With rats sensitive respiratory systems, it's always a possibility. YN is a bit dusty though, so that could irritate their lungs. It's not nearly as dusty as Carefresh is, but way more than the Country Cat I'm using now.

The OP from FR hasn't posted any new info the company has sent her. I'll update about the "antimicrobial agent" if/when she does :)

Offline Nat Loves Rats

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Love
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 06:22:32 PM »
I bought a scatterless litter pan  ;D

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »
Awesome! Let me know if yours like it, I'm probably going to buy one too  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline Nat Loves Rats

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Love
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 07:29:44 PM »
I don't know if the "like it" exactly, lol, but they are interested in it. Same with everything  ::)

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 07:53:11 PM »
well i mean use it lol

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 11:51:14 PM »
I have been buying the Petco brand paper pellet cat litter for awhile. It is very similar to Yesterday's News and it is more often than not on sale for $11.99 for the 25lb bag ($3 off). I had to buy Yesterday's News once when they were out (the 26lb unscented cat kind) and it was WAY dustier and 'unsafe' looking compared to the Petco brand. I was surprised at it.. I don't think I'd buy it again unless I had to. That's really interesting to hear that they make it with woods. I always assumed it was all paper. I wonder what Petco makes theirs out of?

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 01:37:07 AM »
The Exquisicat paper cat litter from petsmart is made from 100% recycled paper and is $9.99 for 25 lbs with petsperks card $10.99 without. It is not dusty like the yesterdays news is at all and is like 50 x more absorbant. I HIGHLY reccomend this litter http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3399918

Offline Justadae

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 04:28:21 AM »
I use the Exquisicat brand as well.. I like it a lot but I've only ever used Carefresh before it, never YN. I just found the Country Cat brand at my feed store, 40 lbs for $20 so I might consider trying that out just to see if I like the smell of it better.

Offline HopLikePopcorn

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 10:00:17 AM »
Wood stove pellets are 100% hardwood, at least to my knowledge, and generally cheaper when you buy in bulk, so there's that at least.

It's too bad, but this is yet another reason to never trust any pet item produced by Purina. They've had some serious issues in the past, and keep continuing to have issues even in the present. Lead-laden toys, fungal (poisonous) wheat from China in their food, corn husks being used for dog food, advertising using gimmicks and lies to sell cheaply made food with no natural ingredients...the list goes on. I knew YN was produced by them so I chose to avoid supporting that line of products and now I'm really glad I did so!  :-\

Also, for anyone wondering, as far as I know Myacide can be used safely, but not in mass production lines where the dosage amounts are hard to control. So there's definitely a risk factor.  :-[

Owned by:
4 Velveteen Dumbo Rats (Mercutio, Iago, Titus and Edgar)
1 Pomeranian (Keeper)
2 DSH cats (Tom and Tillie)
3 White's Tree Frogs (Miss Octavia Tickletummy and her cohorts)
2 D. Leucomela poison dart frogs (Darwin and Mendel)
1 Blue Tongue Skink (Steve Irwin)