Author Topic: Warning for the fokes that use Yesterday's News...  (Read 12193 times)

Offline Lindsay Hannah

Re: Warning for the fokes that use Yesterday's News...
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
ANY type of bedding can give mites. Thats it why you should freeze it 24-48 hours before use. If you have limited freezer space like I do then put 1 litterbox change worth in a ziplock bag or some type of container and freeze when you clean the cage. By the time the cage and or litterbox needs cleaned you will have mite free bedding.  ;D
I did freeze it, so I doubt it's mites then.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 07:21:16 PM »
How long did you freeze it?

Offline Lindsay Hannah

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2009, 07:25:24 PM »
Three days. Or two and a half. I was using up the rest of my CareFresh (I can't express how much i HATED that stuff)

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2009, 07:31:17 PM »
hmmm what made you think they had mites are they boys or girls or both?

My boys and I hate carefresh too. I got a whole plastic grocery bag for free along with a green and purple superpet cage with the slide. They just threw it out of the litterbox and it SMELLED.

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
  • My name is Grace, not Penny! ;)
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
Are there any other kitty litter for rats? I know clay is no good... walmart has a huge aisle for kitty litter, but maybe it's all clay.
This sucks because I'm going to be have a BASS pan in a month or something (counting paint curing time and actually getting around to ordering it).
I am ratless. Someday I will own rats again.

Rats across the Bridge: Penny, Heidi, Jerry, Teddy, Lucy, Sophie, Silhouette, Jupiter, Ozy, and Rorschach. I love you all and hope we will someday meet again. :heart:

Offline Stina

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2009, 08:51:44 PM »
I'm probably the ONLY person who does this....but in any cages I use that have deep enough (for rats mice and birds) I use a mix of coconut fiber bedding (like Forest Bed or Eco Earth...the fine stuff) and wood pellet horse bedding pine....but the process to make it removes the harmful oils).  Works VERY well for me...never had a problem with it....relatively inexpensive as well

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2009, 09:09:09 PM »
I use that coconut stuff for my T's and BP. I think it would be too dusty for rats. I do like that you can reuse it though if you boil it.

Offline Stina

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2009, 09:15:01 PM »
I dont' find it to be truly dusty...the "dust" is mostly larger particles and they don't really become airborne easily.  I even raise my litters on it (mice and rats) and have had no problems.  I do not use it with my snake though.....it was getting caked in its mouth and made it not want to eat!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:20:31 PM by Stina »

Offline Lindsay Hannah

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2009, 09:27:18 PM »
hmmm what made you think they had mites are they boys or girls or both?

My boys and I hate carefresh too. I got a whole plastic grocery bag for free along with a green and purple superpet cage with the slide. They just threw it out of the litterbox and it SMELLED.
both are girlies. could they get mites from my cats?

Offline Stina

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2009, 09:35:22 PM »
Mites are generally species specific...so its not likely

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2009, 09:42:04 PM »
Lindsay Hannah what made you think it was mites? Are they just itchy or what?

Stina do you use it moist or dry? when it is dry I do find it very dusty. It makes very wonderful snake bedding. Do you feed her in the cage? I used to until mine accidently bit the dirt instead of the rat and she got a mouthful. I now feed her in a rubbermaid conatainer lined with newspaper.

Offline Stina

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2009, 09:51:25 PM »
I start it moist...but the pellets absorb the moisture very quickly and it dries out fast.  There is dust...bu its not regular dust...like I said, it's larger particles than "traditional" dust and I've never had any problems with it.
We put the snake on it when we first brought it home and I noticed the bedding in its mouth after the first time I tried to feed it an it wouldn't eat...afterwhich I immediately changed the bedding (I do feed out of the cage though)

Offline Lindsay Hannah

« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2009, 07:33:29 PM »
what made you think it was mites? Are they just itchy or what?
they're itchy itchy little buggers and they have little scabs. someone on here said the scabs were from mites.

Offline Bloo Cheese

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2009, 01:17:22 PM »
What kind of laundry detergent do you use? Maybe the mites are from the food do you freeze that?

Offline Lindsay Hannah

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2009, 09:48:16 PM »
What kind of laundry detergent do you use? Maybe the mites are from the food do you freeze that?
I use Tide Free because of my allergies. No enzymes, dyes, fragrances or anything. I make Suebee's.

Offline Nightmelody

• Posts Too Much!
    • Crossroads Rat Rescue!
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2009, 12:19:29 AM »
just a random note - I used Exquisicat for a while before the YN cause it was cheaper, but it smelled horrible, not like anything in particular, just chemical-y. may have just been me,  but the YN seems to have much less odor to begin with. maybe i will see if i can find some stove pellets. I hated the exquisicat almost as much as the carefresh b/c of the smell.
Founder, Crossroads Rat Rescue - Oklahoma http://crossroadsratrescue.webs.com/

Offline Sakkasie

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2009, 12:11:59 AM »
I use Sun Seed Fresh World Bedding which I get at PetsMart.  It is 100% recycled paper and has the added benefit of baking soda to help with odor control.  I haven't noticed that it's overly dusty.  It's not the softest bedding in the world but to combat that I just spread a very thin layer of CareFresh on top.  I'm really impressed with it.

A little bit of product info from the PetsMart website:

"Non-toxic, phenol-free and color-safe! This highly absorbent bedding is ideal for all small animals and is made entirely out of recycled newspapers and magazines."

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2009, 05:45:43 AM »
I used Sunseed with my mom's Chinese Hamsters, and originally in the Maternity bins for my foster rats.
It is very effective.

The one thing I was not a fan of was the hefty price tag that came along with it.