Author Topic: Rat scratch caused a blistery rash on my hand?  (Read 11991 times)

Offline Meechity

• Queen of the Superlative
    • Meech!
Rat scratch caused a blistery rash on my hand?
« on: November 29, 2009, 01:17:41 PM »
I am getting scratched a lot administering oral medication despite long sleeves. A particular area often scratched is my wrist, on the bone below the thumb. I now have a very itchy, burny, very blistery rash that's been spreading over the last 5 days. The blisters are tiny and clear, and the skin/rash is reddish. I have never had an allergic reaction to the rats.

Anyone have any cautious advice before I chalk it up to a simple allergic response? Thank you.  :heart:

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: Rat scratch caused a blistery rash on my hand?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »
Likely just an allergic reaction. Perhaps a deeper scratch than normal or an increased amount of bacteria on the nails from urine/feces that got into the wound.

Offline JOOOWEE

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 01:55:50 PM »
Can you post a pic?  Does it improve if  you take benedryl? 
Julie Pierce
Massachusetts
Ratty babies: Nora, Blaze, Hanna, Bella, Marathon, Chloe, Misty and Kojak

Offline BSP17

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 02:14:27 PM »
It sounds like what my sister had. Except she got the rash everywhere except her face. The doctor prescribed her two days worth of steroids and a large dose of benadryl for two weeks. I doubt you'll have to go to the doctor, if it's just your hand. Just start taking allergy medicine and it should go away. Definitely DO NOT scratch at it though. That's how her's spread so badly.

It's gone now, but when she plays with the rats, she'll sometimes break out into hives on her hand and her face will get red, itchy and slightly swollen.

Offline maesie

• Posts Too Much!
  • 100% Aussi
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:15:05 PM »
I used to get the same thing from my cat. We used to play rough and my hand was her toy... so scratches + bites + saliva (hers not mine lol) = rash + blisters etc... Scratching it yourself def spreads it. I found though, if I was able to leave it alone, it wouldn't end up like that... just ba some small scratched. So, after getting scratched, I'd was the affected areas, and then apply ointment... antibacterial if i could... and then put on a bandaid. Often at night it would get worse too, as it gets hot, but you've just gotta try and not scratch. Anti allergy meds sounds good too... worth a try hey.

Offline Meechity

• Meech!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 04:33:53 PM »
Here are some photos of my wrist; they're sort of gross, sorry. :)

I never thought of trying Benadryl, but I have some and I will. I have gotten hives before and this isn't like anything I've ever gotten, except for waaaaay back when I was a little kid with extreme poison ivy!

I haven't been scratching while I'm awake, but it's definitely spreading, so I'll cover it up tonight. Good advice.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/Meechity/rash1.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/Meechity/rash2.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/Meechity/rash3.jpg

Offline Rattiesmitten

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 05:25:16 PM »
Might be ringworm, google it to have a look - itches like mad, it does, and lasts a good 2-3 weeks.  The round, pink skin will show for a long time after it's gone, too.  You can put OTC anti-fungal cream on it, like Lamasil, or any of the ones made for athlete's foot.  It'll help with the itching, but it really has to run its course.  The benadryl is a good idea.  When I had it (twice now) I covered it with a band-aid when I went out as ringworm's still associated with being 'dirty'.  But at home, leave it uncovered so it'll dry out. 

If it gets bad enough, a doctor can prescribe Aclovir (sp?), but most times it can be treated at home.
Currently smitten with Jillybean, Radar and Tigger.

Any many more already at the Bridge - mama loves you all!

Offline Ms. Kate

• You would if you had robot ears.
    • Tumblr?
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 06:37:21 PM »
I had exactly that, one on my chest and another on my shoulder. I definitely got it from rat scratches too.

It never got bad enough that I thought to go to the Dr.'s so I'm not sure what it is. I just kept it clean and tried not to touch it at all. It spread for the first few days (never got bigger than a nickel), stayed the same for about a week and them SLOWLY started to go away over the course of another week or so. Sometimes there would be little tiny globes of the clear fluid that oozes out of cuts (ew, gross, but you know what I'm taking about). It's been almost two months now and you can still see a faint reddish tint to those spots.

Let me know what it is if you figure it out!
Currently spoiling: Wednesday, Nils, Fynn and Ivo

Offline Meechity

• Meech!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:39:21 PM »
Sometimes there would be little tiny globes of the clear fluid that oozes out of cuts (ew, gross, but you know what I'm taking about). It's been almost two months now and you can still see a faint reddish tint to those spots.

Let me know what it is if you figure it out!

Hello again! I DID figure it out. :) It got worse overnight, so to quell my fears I went to the doctor earlier tonight. She took one look and said "Looks like contact dermatitis. Something's been rubbing and rubbing and rubbing that spot, irritating your skin and you eventually had a reaction." I was starting to think I had something scary...

Below are 2 photos of what it looks like a day later: it's drying up a bit, but much redder and uglier and 2 inches across. I'm sure this post will be of use to someone (or someone's parents or SO) thinking the worst.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/Meechity/rash4.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/Meechity/rash5.jpg

Thanks for your help! :heart: