Author Topic: Escape proofing a FN142....help?  (Read 432 times)

Offline ZooKeeper

Escape proofing a FN142....help?
« on: December 05, 2009, 11:40:08 AM »
So I got a wonderful FN142 not too long ago and immediately put the girls in it. For the first few weeks they seemed to like it. One of my girls, I noticed, could stick her head through a few of the gaps near the corners. I know if a rat is able to stick their head through something, more than likely the rest will follow. So I improvised with *lots* of zip ties around the widest gaps. Then I come in the check on them...and she's gone!!! Luckily for me, I found her rather easily. And she went in my other single rat cage. She's been in that cage for about a month now, and when cleaning, I just wanted to see how much she had grown, and I put her back in the FN142... but she escaped again... So in the single cage she stays until something is done to escape-proof this friggin 142!

I've seen pictures of other cages with chicken wire around the outside, which to me sounds great. But how in the world would I fascine it to the cage? This little rascal will chew through anything she can. Thats how she got past my improvised zip tie blockades! Are there other ways to escape-proof this wonderful cage for this smaller rat? I feel just horrible with her and her sister apart like this... ideas? help?

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.

Offline MADRATTER★

• This is a place that time should have missed...
Re: Escape proofing a FN142....help?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »
Shcrute said it all!
7Rats,2Dogs,2Cats,TonsOfFish.