Author Topic: Ugh, please don't let this be them un-bonding  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
Ugh, please don't let this be them un-bonding
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:48:40 PM »
I guess this isn't so much wanting advice (though if you have any I would be more than happy to take it!) just support.

Fidget and Rafiki have been bonded for nearly 2 years now and everything was going great until a week or so ago when Rafiki started to chase Fidget around when I brought them veggies. It has now escalated to anytime Fidget comes near him. He isn't being aggressive, if she stops he will too but this isn't a game like they used to play and Fidget appears scared of him at times.

Nothing has changed in the environment, same routine etc. I really don't want to have 2 seperate cages with 2 lonely rabbits especially when used to be so close.

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
Re: Ugh, please don't let this be them un-bonding
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:52:21 PM »
 :-\
I didn't realize rabbits could become unbonded. Are they neutered?
I want to get a husbun for Kirby in the (maybe far) future and I was already worried about the bonding... now I have to worry about UNbonding!!

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 11:11:22 PM »
Yeh they sure can, I never even let it worry me until now. It's normally after they have been separated (vets for example) and you try to re intro them and they won't accept each other but can be a change in the surroundings. Both are spayed/ neutered but I have to wonder about Fidgets spay. She does everything that a spayed girl isn't supposed to :doh:

Offline DebsRats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:30:55 PM »
I've never had them unbond before.

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 01:32:30 AM »
I'd work on rebonding them. Keep them together still, but do things to bring them closer again - like car rides in the same carrier, play times in new areas in a pen, etc.

A bonded pair should NEVER be separated...if one goes to the vet, they both go. Rabbits date a lot like humans date, so it just sounds like they are having a bit of a rough time.

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 04:14:10 PM »
Thanks for all your support. I have no clue what is going on but apart from feeding they get along really well. They still cuddle together, don't fight over treats etc but come feeding time everything changes. Rafiki has been gaining lots of confidence recently, maybe that has something to do with it? I am going to attempt to feed them separately for a while to see if that helps though I have no clue how to go about that!

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 04:27:18 PM »
I'd feed them the veggies in separate pens right next to each other :).