Author Topic: tumor?  (Read 139 times)

Offline ksquared

tumor?
« on: December 13, 2009, 04:15:14 PM »
our rat girls are almost two years old. these are our first rats and we've had absolutely no problems with them healthwise. my daughter was cleaning their cage today, and i usually take that opportunity to check them over. well, today, i noticed that our girl tess has a lump on the lower part of her belly, near her hip joint. i'm assuming this is a tumor. it moves around. it doesn't look like there's any injury there and it's not warm to the touch, so i don't think it's an abcess. it wasn't there a week or two ago, or if it was, it wasn't big enough to really be noticeable. i have a couple of pics but am not sure how to insert them. do i need to upload them to photobucket or some other site first? i'd like some verification of what i'm dealing with before making a vet appointment.
thanks!
kathy

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
Re: tumor?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 04:37:50 PM »
Yes; upload them on to photobucket and then paste in the link with the IMG tags.

Just because you post pics doesn't necessarily mean we'll be able to say right off the bat if it's a tumor or an abscess. To know for certain, you can have your vet do a fine needle aspiration to see if any pus comes out.

Offline ksquared

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 05:04:42 PM »
let's try some pics. the lump is on the lower right. the second pic shows it better.

i know you can't say for sure what it is, but any thoughts would be appreciated.
thanks!
kathy

Offline italianqt

• Posts Too Much!
  • Gennaro's hungry!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 06:04:53 PM »
I've seen some groin/uterine tumors start off in that location. If they're cancerous...they suck. A lot. I've also experienced abscesses in that area as well. Definitely going to be worth an appointment to the vet. Best of luck!
The kittehs: Fia and Nice Kitty.