Author Topic: Bloody Nose, Among Other Problems, Time Is Coming Soon  (Read 824 times)

Offline trentsheba

• Posts Too Much!
Bloody Nose, Among Other Problems, Time Is Coming Soon
« on: December 14, 2009, 02:20:48 PM »
My oldest girl, Drusilla, has bone cancer, (or at the very least, multiple large bone tumors).  She's not doing well, although she doesn't seem unhappy and is still one of the first ones up for breakfast in the morning.  She can't clean herself well, but her cagemates help and I use small animal bath wipes to help too.  Some days she's up and about, other days, I don't expect her to make it through.
  Recently however, she's been getting a bloody nose.  I'm not talking porphyrin, she's having actual bloody noses.  I've been having to take care of them everyday.  There are no cuts or injuries.  What may be causing it?  Could it be related to the cancer?
  She also has two large mammary tumors, one of which is on her neck.  The one on her neck has a small wound on it.  It's not really broken open, just a little blood. 
  I'm considering having her put down after the holidays.  Would that be too late and just be making her suffer?  Again, she doesn't seem unhappy, but is definitely uncomfortable at times.  I guess I'm just looking for some advice.         

Pets name: Ben
 Moe

Offline TheCrazyRatLady

• Resident rat forum Lurker.
Re: Bloody Nose, Among Other Problems, Time Is Coming Soon
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 07:05:09 PM »
I have to say, it sounds, to me, just from what you haved described, like there may be a toumor on the bone in her snout as well, and that that may be causing the bleeding. Is it really dry where you are? That could cause it as well.

I would personnaly wait until she's actually suffering if you figure out the cause of the BN and stop them. Otherwise, I'd do it now.

I'm sorry you're having a tough time.

(I'm not an actual vet, so it's not law, just what I think, knowing animals.)
Proud slave to the two princes, Romeo and Snitch!

Offline trentsheba

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 09:52:26 PM »
I am going to try a humidifier.  I just need to get a filter for it.  We'll see if that helps the nose bleeds at all. 

I'm really just hoping she'll go somewhat peacefully, at home.  I'll do it for her when I have to, but the very thought of that final ride to the vet, is a bit more than I can handle at the moment.  I've had to do it a few times, but it never gets easier.  She's actually with me right now, bruxing.  She's not unhappy and her cagemates have been taking good care of her.  I have such wonderful girls.  The fact is though, that she can't move around the way she used to and I know this isn't something she's going to recover from. 

My little girl is going to die and I know that.  I just don't want to have to help her unless she's really suffering.  Is that too selfish?       

Moe

Offline TheCrazyRatLady

• Resident rat forum Lurker.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 09:56:20 PM »
I know how you feel. It's hard to know a pet iss going and it can't be stopped, rats especially. *hugs* You'll know when it's time.

Humidifier might help. Try it, the worst that can happen is nothing.
Proud slave to the two princes, Romeo and Snitch!

Offline trentsheba

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 09:37:37 PM »
  Well, throughout the week, things got much worse.  She was constantly hungry and eating, but you could feel her bones.  She was going off by herself and had little interest in being with her friends.  I decided not to wait any longer.  I took Dru to be put down this morning.  She was my beautiful little girl and her and I had a very special relationship since the day I brought her home.
  I just want to share a few memories of her with everyone.  I got her and her sister as friends for a lone female who had gotten depressed after her cagemate died.  Dru came in and immediately started jumping on everyone.  She would hang on to the back of the first girl and try to ride her around.  She would have to roll over on her back to get her off. 
  I have a bedroom that is the rat's free range room.  She would get enough speed up, that she would actually run up the walls.  Also, one day, while her sister was sleeping in a hammock, she ran up, jumped in the hammock, on her sister's belly, and proceeded to bounce on her like a trampoline. 
  Other times, she would find places to hide and wait for one of the other girls to wander by.  Then, she'd jump out and bite their butts.  They'd flip around to see what happened and by then, she'd be back in her hiding place.
  Dru could be a little brat and was a bit overwhelming to the others at times, but she was never mean and would welcome anyone new into her cage at first meeting.  She was always friendly and happy.  Dru was always very playful and had a true love for life.  She didn't seem like she ever had a bad day.  Just looking at her made me smile and she melted me faster than any of the others could.     

Moe

Offline sevenfourteen87

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 02:07:56 AM »
I'm sorry you lost your girl but I'm glad she was with you until the end! Thank you for sharing memories of her with us.  :)
Happily owned by Bad Sundae, Auddie-Bear, and Cooper-Duper

Missing Norrie-Doodle and JoAnna the Hooded Avenger