Author Topic: Abscess?  (Read 1909 times)

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
Abscess?
« on: December 21, 2009, 10:08:43 PM »
I have found that my 5 year old Miniature Schnauzer, Charley has a small lump on his left hind thigh. He doesn't seem to even know it's there. When I touch it he doesn't react. What else could it be? These are family dogs, and my mom is responsible for paying for their vet bills. However, due to them getting into some dark chocolate the other day, she has just spent over 600 dollars there, and is quite reluctant to take them back so soon. Does anyone have any suggestions for what it could be and if it's something to worry about? I've also noticed that our 8 year old Toy Poodle has what appears to be a small pimple on her back. Again, she doesn't seemed pained by it and it doesn't appear to be a bite of any kind. What could this be? Thanks! :)
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Abscess?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 03:00:03 PM »
Is the lump anywhere near where he might have gotten vaccine injections in the past?  Sometimes dogs and cats do get injection site sarcomas, though they're more rare in dogs than in cats.  In cats, they can occur up to 3 years after a vaccination.  Like I said, it's rare, but it's a possibility.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 05:53:48 PM »
The one on the poodle could be, as it's near her neck, but I don't think the vet has given injection in his leg. The one on his seems to be the size of a quarter, maybe even a silver dollar. it's also not very raised, just slightly. I'm baffled.
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 10:28:47 PM »
My MIL's toy poodle got lots of those little lumps as he got older.  They never seemed to affect him.  He had lots of other issues, but those seemed pretty benign.  I think my MIL had one biopsied at one point to make sure they were harmless, and then let the rest grow.

I know sometimes, to avoid a reaction to vaccines, vets will vaccinate in sort of odd locations.  How high up on the Schnauzer's leg is the lump?

Offline calicojenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pray without ceasing, rejoyce in ALL things.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 07:19:16 AM »
It could be a cyst too, my parent's lhasa has had several.

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 11:07:41 AM »
My MIL's toy poodle got lots of those little lumps as he got older.  They never seemed to affect him.  He had lots of other issues, but those seemed pretty benign.  I think my MIL had one biopsied at one point to make sure they were harmless, and then let the rest grow.

I know sometimes, to avoid a reaction to vaccines, vets will vaccinate in sort of odd locations.  How high up on the Schnauzer's leg is the lump?

I hope it's benign. I'm going to show my mom, and ask if maybe she can get i biopsied. If I remember correctly, she had a possible melanoma, and so I kind of worry about that. :( As for the Schnauzer it's kind of on the back of his thigh on the outside. He doesn't seem to feel it at all.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 02:38:56 PM »
The vet I worked for used to do shots in the hindquarters sometimes, but it would be above the hip, where they could get some loose skin, so the thigh would make that less likely.

A cyst is a possibility, for sure.  Abscesses are less common in dogs unless they've been in fights, so I wouldn't jump to that immediately.  Biopsies for both are probably not a bad idea.  A fine needle aspirate at the vet should be able to give you some idea of the type of cells in there without requiring anesthetic or surgery, and at least let you know if they're likely to be malignant or benign.