Author Topic: taking care of a bun whos not use to people NEED HELP  (Read 3295 times)

Offline another day another pet

taking care of a bun whos not use to people NEED HELP
« on: December 24, 2009, 12:27:16 AM »
ok so here my long story i walk into class in the morning and im asked to take care of a rabbit for break i know nothing about them so im taking care of her and im realizeing this rabbit has some very  minor rare fear agression issues most of the times shes a calm bunny but then she starts making these weird oinking sounds she lunged at me once she has never bitten me she is a nice rabbit and i hope im not doing anything rong i really need help bad if i would not have taken here she would have been stuck at my school for a week in a half in the dark so if anyone can help me any info would be great she is tame and litter box trained but maybe shes just adujsting to her new surrounding and thats why shes doing this ? :help: :help: :help:

Re: taking care of a bun whos not use to people NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 08:28:23 AM »
im gonna try to get pics of her today her name is Funny

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 01:39:50 AM »
I bet shes scared. Keep her in a quiet room while she is with you. Is she lunging & honking when you put your hands in the cage? If so, she could have cage aggression. Even though she is with you for such a short time, you should still let her run around in the bathroom (all cords/chemicals put away)...as rabbits need daily exercise.

Why is this rabbit in a school, but yet not used to people?

Make sure she has hay. If she isn't used to veggies, then I wouldn't give them to her. You can feed her a few bits of old fashioned (not instant) oats as treats...also a couple cheerios or craisins. What type of pellet is she eating? What type of bedding/litter?

Rabbits need to be spayed & neutered, and since she is a school bunny...I'm assuming she is not. I took in a female bunny who was 5 months old and had her spayed a month later. During the month of having her, she used to honk & lunge at me...but now that she's been spayed even since just last Friday, her hormones have calmed down and she has stopped acting out in that way.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 03:50:16 PM »
most of the time she is relaxed this is a high school and shes part of the animal lab so i dont think she is let out much  shes come out of her shell now and likes me alot she loves my dog and they play alot and she now lets me rub her behind the ears i guess she just needed some time are there any good toy i can give her to play with ?

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 04:09:14 PM »
Quote from: another day another pet  link=topic=4064434.msg4670461#msg4670461 date=1261774216
most of the time she is relaxed this is a high school and shes part of the animal lab so i dont think she is let out much  shes come out of her shell now and likes me alot she loves my dog and they play alot and she now lets me rub her behind the ears i guess she just needed some time are there any good toy i can give her to play with ?

She has no toys  :(? That is incredibly sad....poor baby girl. I'd give her some cat toy balls with bells inside, baby key rings, empty toilet paper tubes, fill a small paper bag with hay & old fashioned oats/cheerios/craisins...you can tie off the bag at the top with a thicker piece of hay.

I'd really try to read up while you have her and get her out of that high school. A lot of high school kids probably aren't respectful to animals....so I bet she is really unhappy there, especially if she never gets to play and has no toys. What a boring life....thats like locking a cat in a cage, except bunnies can't meow to show their "pain"....they suffer in their silence  :'(.

www.rabbit.org has a lot of good advice, too.

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 04:24:54 PM »
she has tolit paper rolls and newspaper i just want to give her more toys this is the former animal science teachers fautl he threw like 10 rabbits at the new teacher then quit shes trying her hardest and makes sure they have fun houses to go to for break i really am trying to give this bunny the best life i can shes really nice and likes to play

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 04:26:51 PM »
plz understand i am really trying to make this bunnys life a good one while shes with me

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 04:36:33 PM »
I'm definitely not faulting you! I think it is great that you took this bunny home on school break. I do think that the school doesn't need to keep bunnies, though, as its got to be rough on the rabbits living in a noisy school environment and then having to go to strange houses on breaks. Rabbits are easy stressers and shouldn't be tossed around a lot.

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 04:41:02 PM »
they have there own private room so no loud noises the bunnys name is Funny and she really likes playing with me now