Author Topic: Odorless Odor Eliminator...?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline ZooKeeper

Odorless Odor Eliminator...?
« on: December 26, 2009, 01:29:27 PM »
I absolutely love smelly good candles and scents and all those smelly good things that rats don't like or shouldn't be around :-\ Which poses a problem for me. My rats are the smelly rats--smelly days before the clean-cages-day comes. I even spot clean in between, but they are stinky wittle ratlets  :confused: I honestly don't mind it horribly. When it gets bad, I do a more thorough spot cleaning in between. But when I have guests over...they mind it. I don't want to put candles and other "smelly-good" things to mask the smell because as we all know, rats have this wonderful sense of smell... yet they can be stinky? I'm just wondering if anyone out here knows of a good odor eliminator that won't mess with the rats sense of smell. Not sure if this is true, but I know water filters use charcoal...could something with that be used?

Offline chelipepper

Re: Odorless Odor Eliminator...?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 05:08:44 PM »
ah the smell issue .. i have tried various things with various degrees of success, but personally i think the bottom line is they are gonna exude rat-smell.  Some suggestions - a few drops of vanilla in their water (which changes the scent of the urine and makes it less 'skunky'-especially in males) ..try mixing in some rose petals or lavendar buds into their litter if u use litter and not fleece .. add a few drops of peppermint or spearmint essential oil into their wipe down water when u do a major cleaning (this, for me anyway, seems to provide the greatest help -and the rats dont mind it a bit)

some things to check - are u overcleaning? if u do , the ratties will compensate by marking more-if u have a few nervous ratties who seem to walk around marking right after u clean, the trick might just be to keep a small amount of the old bedding and mix it in with the new so their scent is there for them and they dont feel the need to remark ..  Are u making sure they have a good supply of water that everyone can get to ?  if they arent drinking enough the scent of the urine becomes more concentrated. Lazy drinkers can often be big contributers to the high-octane smell (i have a cat who is a lazy drinker too ..oy)  ..are u making changes to the cage or adding new ratties? markings increase with changes and also with the stress level of ratties

The problem with charcoal would be with them eating it .. ive turned the carbon issue around in my head a few times and havent come up with anything .. i have also considered the Odor Elimator spray they sell in the cat section of Walmart (citrus scented) because they say its safe enough to spray on your pets fur ..but in the end, i try to stay natural and leave very little to chance with them ingesting it

Good luck !
Proud mama of BabyKitty, Oliver, Molly, Sakura & TomtomTamale
Stepmama to Rosie 
our ratties ~Bozzuto and Kamilah
Missing our angel babies: Old Man, Helga, Big John, Pinkie, Mama Lily, Pongo,  Mimosa, Buttercup, Bert, Sweetie  and Jefe

Offline JOOOWEE

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 06:36:54 PM »
Hi
I bought a new little airfilter machine that is supposed to be made for breeders....go onto www.jbpet.com and its called odor grabber max.  Seems to be working so far.  There are also tons of other items to check out under Sanitation.  Good luck
Julie Pierce
Massachusetts
Ratty babies: Nora, Blaze, Hanna, Bella, Marathon, Chloe, Misty and Kojak

Offline coliekumar

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 06:43:22 PM »
An open box of baking soda in the room (where the rats cannot reach it) should absorb some of the smells.
Two girls have arrived :) Names coming soon.

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 07:35:47 PM »
There are charcoal air filters that you can buy for really cheap at home improvement stores. You just plug them and they pull air through the activated charcoal, removing a lot of the smell. You just have to buy new cartridges and make sure to get the charcoal ones as opposed to anything scented.

Offline ZooKeeper

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 07:41:39 PM »
Yeah I was thinking about the charcoal having like a piece of it just sitting near the cage but out of reach. Something like that, but if it works is another question. And that box of baking soda sounds like a possibility.  And I've never heard of charcoal air filters. Also something to check out. Thanks!

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 08:03:22 PM »
There is a product called Tap-A-Drop by Nil-Odor.  It is not completely scentless, but it is used in hospitals, as an example, to kill the odor in bed pans.

I use it, a few drops is a small bucket of water, as an intermediate rinse during cage cleaning (that means:  I scrub, rinse with water, wipe down with the diluted tap-a-drop, and rinse again with water) and it does wonders!  In "house guest" situations, I sometimes put a drop on a cotton ball or small piece of paper towel and put that in a cup in the rat room (not necessarily on the cage, sometimes just in the room).
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline deliciouspie

• Ritten
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 11:18:48 PM »
ah the smell issue .. i have tried various things with various degrees of success, but personally i think the bottom line is they are gonna exude rat-smell.  Some suggestions - a few drops of vanilla in their water (which changes the scent of the urine and makes it less 'skunky'-especially in males) ..try mixing in some rose petals or lavendar buds into their litter if u use litter and not fleece .. add a few drops of peppermint or spearmint essential oil into their wipe down water when u do a major cleaning (this, for me anyway, seems to provide the greatest help -and the rats dont mind it a bit) 

Okay, so are we talking about vanilla extract? And how much is a few drops in about how much water?

I REALLY like this idea. XD So I wanna make sure I'm doing it in a safe and secure way.

Thanks! :D

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 02:11:10 AM »
I can't imagine it would be healthy for rats to constantly be ingesting vanilla extract. Even the real brands(ie:not imitation) have a lot of alcohol in them, which is used to extract the vanilla in the first place. I'd never put it in their water for extended periods of time.

Why not just clean the cage more? Do you use liners or disposable bedding? Spot cleaning daily, changing out the liners every few days, and cleaning the cage with diluted vinegar will all help to decrease any rattie odors. Vacuuming with baking soda will also help to freshen the room :)
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3