Author Topic: Mega-Clean!  (Read 933 times)

Offline Nat Loves Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • My sweethearts, Alice and Rosalie <333
    • Rat Love
Mega-Clean!
« on: January 03, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »
Okay so if you see from my other thread I am going to sell my old cage for vet money. I need to know how to totally disinfect it so that it is thoroughly cleaned when it goes to some new ratties. :) What cleaners do I use? How do I get it really good so there's no trace of my girls scent left?

Thanks!

PS- I will also be using this info for my hamster's old tank, he's movin back into it because he's practically addicted to chewing the cage bars  :doh: I might use this info for a cat carrier too. It once held a stray, dirty dog I found (was brought to a humane society) but I want to use it for my pets.

Offline DebsRats

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Mega-Clean!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 06:40:43 PM »
I'm just using bleach for this cage I picked up. Letting it soak for a long time.

Offline Nat Loves Rats

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Love
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »
Just a bit of bleach?

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 07:43:48 PM »
I wouldn't dilute it too much, (50/50), but I would let it soak for a while.  Then, obviously, you have to rinse it quite thoroughly.  Honestly, as long as it's rinsed properly you could probably use straight bleach, but I believe that it is unnecesarry.

PS From your other post, don't feel bad about selling it to someone else, if they are looking for that, then their cage is much smaller most likely, or possibly even a tank!  Just definately put the dimensions in the ad.

Offline Rana

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 08:51:33 PM »
I wouldn't think you'd need to use that much bleach- maybe a 1:4 ratio. If you can smell the bleach, you're probably using too much, but I suppose if you wanted to be on the safe side for cleaning... Just don't use 100% bleach, it actually works much better diluted. Make sure to really scrub as well, so there's no physical buildup from your ratties left. :3

Coincidentally, I was thinking about trying to find a used RM to add onto my existing one. Would you mind if I messaged you about maybe buying it from you?

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 12:15:43 PM »
When I clean small cages, I just dismantle them, and fill the bathrub with water and toss them in, then pour in bleach. Let them soak a couple hours, drain the tub, and refill with just hot water. Then scrub, rinse with shower head, and stand to dry.

Offline Nat Loves Rats

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Love
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 05:29:26 PM »
Coincidentally, I was thinking about trying to find a used RM to add onto my existing one. Would you mind if I messaged you about maybe buying it from you?

Oh! Of course! Lol. I'll PM you  ;)