Author Topic: FN/CN Question??  (Read 704 times)

Offline beantherat

• Ritten
FN/CN Question??
« on: January 05, 2010, 01:38:49 AM »
Hey all! I've come here for quite a while to get cage ideas/tips on the care of my rats and I've finally decided to join!

I've recently gotten some money saved up and was thinking of getting my kid's a new cage, and have come to the conclusion it's going to be a double level FN or CN. BUT.....

Do either of these cages have a insert to put in the bottom so I can just fill the bottom with their litter?

I have tried EVERYTHING listed on this site under litter training and they just don't/won't use litter boxes, they just kick all the litter out of them and pee where they please, but at least they poo on the very bottom floor  :thumbsup2:

I have a rat manor right now (before you say it's too small there are 2 1year+ rats and one less than a year the 2 older boys really only get active during free range and little sprout is the only one in the cage who runs around alot).

It has a bottom piece where very little litter can be splashed out, I really like that about it.

ALSO..

Do you really need to line the cage with fleece, because honestly that just doesn't sit well with my boys, no matter how many treats/toys/distractions are in the cage they focus on ripping these things to shreds  :doh:

Offline Secor

• love is a gift
Re: FN/CN Question??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:54:39 AM »
Im thinking from the sounds of it you might need a pan for the bottem of the cage. The pan they have in the cage when you get it is not deep at all and doesnt really hold litter that well. I believe Base pans sells them. Not to sure what there website is though. I line mine with with fleece but i have at times not lined the shelves with fleece. I guess you could try. I would think they might like the fleece. I have found that my girls leave the fleeze alone if its not sown togther and not tucked in. May not look fancy but it last longer.

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 02:08:59 AM »
I second the Bass pan idea. You might want to consider only getting a pan for the very bottom level, some people have found their rats only potty on the very bottom of the cage and you could use fleece on the top pan.

Offline andie3131

• Posts Too Much!
  • Harley RIP
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 02:13:13 AM »
Here is the link for the bass pans.  You'll wanna do a forum search for how to paint them though because they are galvanized and will end up smelling if you don't.

Offline beantherat

• Ritten
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 02:13:59 AM »
Yeah- a base pan! That is what I mean, but, is it really necessary to line the upper levels with fleece, I've tried this, they shred it within 24 hours and any loose fleece laying in the cage just gets pulled into hammocks/down to the bottom in the pee/poo

Offline andie3131

• Posts Too Much!
  • Harley RIP
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 02:21:25 AM »
Do you mean the shelves?  Either way if you don't line the shelves or the flat pans they will be covered in pee.  You'd have to wipe them consistently in order to keep them reasonably clean.   But if you get the upper and lower bass pans you can use litter.  But I would still reccomend lining the shelf.

Offline beantherat

• Ritten
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 02:29:44 AM »
Okay thanks! Maybe they'll grow out of terring them up with the new cage, because they were in the current cage for a while before I tried lining the shelfs with fleece.

would that maybe make some sort of difference?

Offline andie3131

• Posts Too Much!
  • Harley RIP
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 03:05:30 AM »
Some rats just like shredding things.  Mine usually chew at there liners.  Sometime only a little bit and other times alot lol.  With mine it just depends on there moods.  Same with there hammocks. I still have a couple that are over a year old and other hammocks have only made it through a few cage changes.  If your going to keep the original pans and line them with fabric you can also try using cheap towels.  I do that and just tuck them under the sides.  Also, sometimes they will chew the liners less if you get cage pads and just place them down on top the pans so they are able to get under them.  That seems to be what they really want.    It's basically a trial and error lol.