Author Topic: A food related question.  (Read 6849 times)

Offline RavensFallen16

A food related question.
« on: January 05, 2010, 04:00:59 PM »
This is probably on here somewhere, and I do apologize if it is, But I could not find information concerning it completely.

This is a dog food related question. Specifically for my female german shepherd mix, who weighs in a little under 115 pounds (shes 114.7). (And no she was said to be in very good condition and not over weight at all). Her name is Raven, and I have adopted her just 2-ish weeks ago. Now her food bag is getting low enough that I am pondering over food and what to do, there is enough left to do a switch over on food plus some, so I am not worried over that.

OH! And Raven is 3 and a half years old. I don't know if you needed to know her age but I thought it may be helpful.

She has been getting Iams large breed adult since before I got her. Now I was wondering is there a better dog food that I can find locally. I'm in Mass, I can not feed raw, I have played with the idea, but I just as an individual can not do it. And I do know about raw feeding, as I am playing with the idea still with my ferrets. But I am not going to take that step with our dog Raven.

She gets the Iams large bred proactive health formula. I saw a bag of Ol Roy in walmart today for under $20 (it was a 44.5 pd bag). I was wondering is Ol Roy good in other peoples view points? I'd love to switch her from Iams, since I can't find the adult large bred bag anywhere around me for some reason, and I really can not swing the prices of foods at Petco. I know the whole well then you shouldn't have the dog thing, but seriously? Who wants to spend $30 on a 25 pound bag of food that with this girl does not last that long.

What I'd like to know is what I want to really look for in a dog food? I am not new to dogs, but I am new to trying to feed them healthy (my mom used to buy the dog kibble). Raven is my pet solely, and I am indeed 19 years old.
What is the crude protein ideal for dogs to get? And more of the percents?

Also, the ol roy said for her size she would need to get 6 and a half cups (8oz size cups) of food...that just seems like a lot, she really only gets 3 and a half cups (8oz size) of Iams right now (as was suggested for her prior owners by their vet). Is that a lot of food to be given to a dog of 115 pounds? It just seems like we would go through a 40 pound bag in no time at all...

Thanks ahead of time for ANY input! And sorry I made this so long.
And please feel free to not try to use the facts of raw feeding to convince me to do so, I really am uncomfortable with the idea, since we have multiple animals in the house. I don't even eat chicken or pork as it is so since we have chickens and a single lonely pig (he needs a new friend...)

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
Re: A food related question.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 04:50:15 PM »
Unfortunately I have only time to offer a quick response, but dogfoodanalysis.com is a great resource that rates various dog foods.  Both Iams and Ol'Roy are awful- full of fillers.  Basically anything you can buy from a grocery store or Walmart, Target, etc. is not a high quality food.
I will offer some suggestions later!
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 05:21:39 PM »
I feed my little guys Nutro, and I really love it. I'd recommend getting Nutro Max Large Breed or Nutro Ultra Large Breed. :)
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline slynx

• Posts Too Much!
    • Maya's blog
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 06:14:55 PM »
For affordable high-quality dog foods, I suggest staying as far away from Petco/Petsmart as possible.  Instead, find your local feed or farm supply store.  At least around here, the feed stores carry premium dog food brands at reasonable prices. 

As far as costs, be aware that the price per bag is a somewhat deceptive index.  Both Ol' Roy and Iams are primarily made of low-nutrition ingredients (things like corn & wheat) so you have to feed larger quantities to get the same amount of nutrition.  With dog food made of higher-value ingredients (things like named whole meats, named meat products), you can feed less volume.  A bag of higher quality dog food lasts longer even though it costs more.

For example, let's start by saying there are an estimated 176 cups in a 44 lb. bag of dog food (the internet never lies, right?  I've certainly never counted myself).  Let's also say my dog requires around 1500 calories per day.  That's three cups of Canidae (around here, one of the cheaper premium kibbles).  A 44 lb. bag of Canidae costs around $50 at my feed store, which certainly sounds like a lot.  But the bag will last 58 days, by this calculation.  That's about $25/month.

To feed 1500 calories of Iams, I'd need to feed a little over 5 cups.  I don't know what you're paying, but google tells me it might cost around $30 per 40 lb. bag. For $30ish dollars, you'd get 32 days worth of food.  The $20 bag of Ol' Roy, based on your 8 cups a day serving plan, would last 22 days.  Which I could spend $27/month on Ol' Roy, $28/month on Iams, or $25/month on Canidae.

I was planning on working out the above by calorie, but alas cannot find the caloric content of Ol' Roy.  Apparently they change the mix of ingredients quite a lot, depending  on suppliers, and changed again after they were involved in all those dog food recalls.  The numbers are all rounded to the nearest whole number, since every place is going to have different taxes, different pricing, and so on.  The point is that all three cost very similar amounts per month.  But Canidae has more named whole meats, more named meat products, no corn, no wheat, and fewer artificial colors/preservatives...it's a healthier food, for the same price or less, even though the bag prices are so different.  The same holds true for plenty of other premium kibbles, in my experience.

Also, if you feed fewer cups per day, your dog poops smaller quantities.  This is a lovely side-effect of feeding a more nutritious food.  I assume other people are going to pile in with discussions of grains vs. no grains, whole meats and named meats, meat meals, protein sources, and all the other contentious issues of dog nutrition.  So I wanted to make sure I was the first to mention the poop issue.  :wink5:

Oh, and a good site for information about dog nutrition, dog foods, etc: www.dogaware.com

Offline Mommy4syd

• Shelli
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 06:14:55 PM »
Everyone will have their brand and their opinion on other brands, but I like Purina ProPlan, my best friend breeds and shows Dobermans and this is ALL that she will feed and her dogs are just perfect looking, I wish I had pictures of her dogs on this computer but they are on my old one.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:21:41 PM by Mommy4syd »
~~Shelli~~
Wife to Chris, Mom to our 2 girls & Zoo keeper:
4 dogs (Standard Poodle, Redtick hound, Boston Terrier & Chihuahua)
1 cat
fish
& now 2 rats

Offline SawyerAshton

• My Photobucket Album
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 06:20:11 PM »
I'd suggest these 2 websites if you are researching dog food:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/ (EDIT: sorry Star2.  Didn't mean to double post the link)

I personally feed Wellness Core (5.5 Year old Diabetic Australian Cattle Dog).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:34:12 PM by SawyerAshton »

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 07:36:56 PM »
Thank you all so much, every ones input is always helpful. (thanking the goosemoose people mentally for making this site!)

And I didn't know there were websites for this type of looking up of foods....of course though there are sites for everything  :doh:

Slynx- the information you provided was VERY helpful! I had no idea on how to figure out cost per month per bag. And I defiantly do not mind buying in bulk, especially better quality food (even if it is more!). I had the whim to buy Ol Roy, and I am SOOOOO glad I passed on that. I also figured the poop thing would be different. And yes as gross as it is Raven poops huge nasty ones, but only does so once a day...but they are terrible to clean up since I have the must go around the yard and pick poops up and get rid of the waste (ie. it goes over the fence) I hate stepping in dog poos...eww to that! And yeah I have local rain/feed stores by me (I live in great old cow country now horse country so yay for that!). I will have to stop in there tomorrow and check out what they have, it did not even dawn on me to check there, I always things horse feed, hay, and shavings! I love buying from the grain store down the street, they special order me big bags of aspen shavings (for the furballs), as well as various other things, plus their hay bails are only $5...which is a deal in my town. We put hay down on the dog house floor in the winter (even though Raven is indoor outdoor she'll refuse to come inside since she seems to LOVE the snow).
I know they have a blue brand type food thing...I will have to look into it though, it's the same company who makes the horse feed they carry.

SawyerAshton, Star2-- thank you for those links! I will be checking them out once this is posted.

And another thanks to everyone.

My problem is I haven't researched food, I came with the idea that all food was made equally...but clearly it is not. I figured that out once I researched some with the ferret food. And I wanted to know with dog food what in general I was looking for, because I don't want any of my babies to be fed poopy food...since it is soo not fair to them.

Offline SawyerAshton

• My Photobucket Album
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 07:58:32 PM »
I have to say Raven, when I began the quest of what is the right food for a dog after the diabetic diagnosis, I was APPALLED at the ingredients in most dogfoods and what they meant.  To think I had been feeding my boy ground up reject animal parts (not the good ones) for 4 years!  The vet had put him on Hills W/D prescription dog food.  When I looked that up, it wasn't much better than what I had been feeding him before.  That's when I decided to go grain free and higher quality ingredients.  I pay a good bit more per month now, but I only need to feed 1.5 cups twice a day!  It's also much more digestible. 

It really is horrible what dog food companies can get away with calling "food" 

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 10:54:52 PM »
What is ground up bone?...That's just a filler right? And anything meal? Don't they feed chickens meal? I am kind of grossed out now! I have looked through some ingredients, like what Raven was (is still) getting and that Ol Roy junk, as well as other dog foods. I think I may try to find something better, but before I go on a hunt, I am hunting around the grain store to see what the carry.
Blue Seal is the company that makes it. I think...I haves to double check!

SawyerAshton, when the diabetic diagnosis happened do they know why it occurred? Is it believed to be solely food related? I know high sugar contents can give it over time. (My b/f is diabetic...so I am kind of familiar with it). But is it something that what the dog eats causes it? I'm assuming it is like with people, feed someone a ton of sugar and eventually their body can't produce insulin correctly (and sugar meaning, sugar, or crap food). Am I thinking right? I'm just wondering...since I have seen other people mention it prier in the case of their own dog, also saw an old fella at the shelter with it...

Oh, and I don't mind spending more, but the way Petco sells their food is ridiculous (this is why I mentioned previously that I did not want to shop from them)! I was appalled just at their prices, I looked up some of the higher priced foods and a few where at the bottomer part of the rating list thing...that kind of annoys me because a lot of people will do the "Oh it costs this much more it must be so much better!" but then it really isn't...

I try for the best prices I can find for the best quality to be honest. Otherwise, I would be living in the dogs house. (My weekend tips go for food, plus a little extra to put aside, so it is ok if I budget more money in for Rave's food because I put all my tip aside, the rest goes into the vet fund-it is my animals money, my paycheck is for my use).

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 10:55:02 PM »
My problem is I haven't researched food, I came with the idea that all food was made equally...but clearly it is not.

When I was growing up my parents bought our family dog whatever was on sale ::)  She was on Kibbles 'n Bits one week, and some other crappy brand the next.  So don't worry!  You have to learn somehow!

It shows what a great owner you are that you came here and asked questions about the best food for your dog  :thumbsup2:
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 10:56:22 PM »
**Since I double posted**

Star2, my parents did the same thing.
We had two Australian Shepherd, and a miniature collie thing...(No clue what he was, but he was a car chaser ><)
They were all overweight, sicklyish dogs with the worst poop in the world because their food was switched so much.
So when I got my girl Raven, I decided, I want to get her good food, not switch it on her unless I have to and see where we go from there!
I used GooseMoose when I had my rats (sadly they had to find a new home from me), my current ferrets (who were rescues from 3 years ago), and now my lovely Miss Raven.

Please note, that Raven's name was Raven before I ever heard about her. My AIM s/n is the same as on here, and I have had it since I was 15 (now 19)....so How odd can that be?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:02:05 PM by RavensFallen16 »

Offline SawyerAshton

• My Photobucket Album
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Raven, the doctor didn't really know what caused his diabetes.  I however have my suspicions.  After the diagnosis I did a LOOOOTTTTT of reading.  I had been feeding him Beneful Healthy Weight formula thinking he's and inside dog so it would help keep his weight down.  He kept gaining and gaining.  I didn't think a whole lot of it because I could never really stop the friends and family from giving him table food, although he really didn't get much of it.  Well, from my extensive research, I have found that Beneful Healthy Weight has an Extremely high amount of sugar in it.  He had been on that food regularly for 4 years.  My assumption is that the food is what caused it.  The breeder and I had discussed health issues in the bloodline before I adopted him and that had never been an issue.  But, Who knows.  When he started drinking 2 gallons of water a day and having accidents in the house, he went to the vet that week and was diagnosed.  Now he gets his Insulin shots 2 times a day and all is well.

RE Food: I find my food at a small pet shop in the area.  Petsmart and Petco sell nothing close to what I wanted to feed him.  The store I get it from is probably a little pricier, but they keep it in stock for me since I usually spend about 75 bucks a month on food.  Any small shops around my be another avenue if you can't find what you want.  They may be able to order it for you.  Although, it does make you feel silly to go into the pet store and ask the worker, "What are the nutritional facts of this dog food?  I need to know how many carbohydrates there are per serving?"  That usually gets me some strange looks and I have to go into the full explanation.  So for our situation, Grain Free seems to be the best way to go.

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 11:33:19 PM »
Sawyer- In people the sugar thing does it. I know that much. I wasn't as sure with dogs if it would be the same.

Ah, the poopyness of living where I live. The petstores around here are all chain ones. I think there is one small locally owned one left, but she gets or got all her stuff from the chains (which makes no sense to me). Besides a grain store (which would be right down the street, they carry dog stuff but I never thought of food there) there is the big stores or online. If I need to I will find it online and have it shipped (although the shipping fee sucks unless its free). I may be able to get the grain store owner to special order me food though. They are very nice people over there and would probably do it while learning something new. They love when I come in I always have a new thing to tell them that I have been looking up on. (They didn't even know what aspen shavings where before me! they thought only pine existed.)

And as to price, if the grain store will special order it they will probably sell it close to what they get it for. (Thats why the shavings I get are so much less...they are normally 7-11 dollars per bail) if not, I was expecting quite a bit in cost of food. Already for the ferrets per month my cost is roughly $55-60 in total (food, supplements, ect). With the dog food it was 30 normally. So an extra 30 to 50 is ok, so long as I do ok with tips! (I normally walk away Sunday night from work with at least 150 in my pocket from tips from Fri/Sat/Sun night) And per month is even better! Imagine if we had to pay that much per meal of the dog? GAH I would be getting over my raw issue in that case.

Ok, well I have an early day tomorrow and its almost midnight here. Hope to hear more on this later! And again thank you!

Offline Lady_Penrhyn

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 02:58:13 AM »
PetSmart DO sell some good foods, Blue Buffalo to name one

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3144482

It's a 6 Star Food according to dogfoodanalysis
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=2292&cat=all

Avoderm is also not too bad, 4 star food for the most part.

Sometimes it's not always about feeding the absolute best food, it's about feeding something that they will actually eat and doesn't kill your bank balance.

If you have a Costco, their Kirkland food is actually really good for the price, it's actually a 3 star rated food (as is the regular Blue Buffalo!)

What I feed my dog is not the best in the world (I friggin' hate living in Australia, all the we have 'premium' food wise is Artemis, Eagle Pack, Nutrience, Nutro + Ziwipeak. then we delve into the world of Iams, Pedigree and Advance...).  We tried Kara on all the 'Premium' Foods and she only eats Nutro, so we feed her that.  Not my first choice, but it's better than My Dog + Pedigree (which she loves, but it's complete crap!...she was a rescue, whatever was donated to them was fed to the dogs).  The Smallest bag of Nutro is $32 here.  A single tin of food is $4.  A single tin of Eagle Pack is $5.   ...I'll stop ranting now sorry.

5 mice: Janet, Sam, Cassie, Vala + Jennifer
4 Guinea Pigs: Josephine, Caramel, Frank + Josef
1 Elephant/Guinea Pig/Basenji/Fox Terrier: Kara (sounds like an Elephant, eats Oxbow Pellets...strange creature!)

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 01:11:40 PM »
Lady_Penrhyn- Sadly, I am in an area where Petco is what it is. I went to check out petsmart but they closed the store down. So its Petco, some poopy local store, and the feed store.
I don't think we have a Costco...I'm not even sure what it is...
Also, currently I can afford feeding her on a higher budget. I have several different animals currently so we look at food bills being higher than an average household for the animals...and food prices fluctuate so we take that into consideration.
I still gotta go check out the feed store!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 02:45:20 PM »
I have the same problem here. Except that the feed stores carry the same as petco, plus diamond aka professional (avoid this food) and chicken soup (avoid this too its not the same anymore).

I feed my dog blue buffalo. Its the least evil of whatever is available. The 14lb? bag is $29. My dog only eats 8 1/2c a day so I wouldn't feel the cost as much as you will.

If you can find Pet Guard at any of the feed stores its very good and moderately priced.

Offline SawyerAshton

• My Photobucket Album
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 06:35:21 PM »
I agree about Blue Buffalo.  When I was looking, that was the food I had originally chosen, but the drive to get it was just not worth it.

Offline Lady_Penrhyn

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 06:44:47 PM »
The PetCo website is throwing a hissy fit so I can't tell what dog foods they actually sell, which is why I used PetSmart  :-\

1 Elephant/Guinea Pig/Basenji/Fox Terrier: Kara (sounds like an Elephant, eats Oxbow Pellets...strange creature!)

Offline calicojenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pray without ceasing, rejoyce in ALL things.
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 10:29:08 PM »
If you can find a tractor supply company  they carry taste of the wild which i HIGHLY recommend. It has excellent ingredents, is grain free, and is affordable. I fed it till i got my Great Dane puppy who i feed eagle pack holistic which i get from a local feed store.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 05:11:49 PM »
If you can find a tractor supply company  they carry taste of the wild which i HIGHLY recommend. It has excellent ingredents, is grain free, and is affordable. I fed it till i got my Great Dane puppy who i feed eagle pack holistic which i get from a local feed store.

Tast of the wild is made by diamond. Diamond used to be a decent cheap food. NOt anymore.  :-\
 They have had several food quality issues over the past few years. Their chicken soup food has gone to crap. Others have reported issues with the TOTW cat food it made the cats sick.

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 05:26:36 PM »
My dad used to buy ProPac at the feed store. I think it's a pretty decent food.. haven't looked at ingredients lately. The price was pretty reasonable too from what I remember. I feed raw (which I've found to be much cheaper than even the cheap and crappy kibble) so I'm not an expert on dry or canned food. I have heard Chicken Soup is no good anymore though and hav heard of problems with TotW.

Offline calicojenn

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 06:03:50 PM »
huh, I hadn't heard of anyone having issues with Totw.. It's pretty popular with the people who have adult Danes but haven't made the switch to raw yet as our babies tend to be prone  have skin issues and allergies ( i have to be very careful with mine as she doesn't tolerate any soy or egg well and they try to sneak soy into everything).   I  would like to go back to raw ( i had a hard time finding anything affordable other than chicken quarters and chicken livers last time we went that route), i am hoping to score some deer scraps this hunting season  to  supplement with at very least.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 12:26:06 AM »
Wellness is available at petco. They have a grain free food.

Offline calicojenn

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 01:39:28 AM »
petco is three hours away, But i have heard good things about that food. (My dane is not old enough to go on a grain free formula yet ( you have to watch their calcium/protein/phosphorus intake) so i would support that for the OP.

Offline SawyerAshton

• My Photobucket Album
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 09:03:35 AM »
Wellness is available at petco. They have a grain free food.

I'd call first.  The petco here took it off the shelves because they were offered a better contract deal from a competing dog food company.  (At least that's what the manager told me)

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »
Sawyer- are we in the same area? The same thing with Petco happened here. They could get different food for cheaper but sell it at the same price. The ingredients don't even look half decent (forgetting the name of the switched in).

And as to being my lazy self I'm going to just say thanks to everyone else who posted :].
The grain store had no food left (dog wise) so that route will have to happen later on.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 01:42:48 PM »
Wow thats just wrong.  The almighty dollar wins again.   >:(

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »
yes, the dollar wins again in the not favor of our dogs. If only they understood that we need to be able to feed our canines something not poopy. But the won't if they can make a profit. Silly places like that are no good anyway since they just look for the profit.
I went to a different Petco today (I needed criks) and looked at their dog food selection, they actually had Iams...which made me go huh didn't think it'd happen. They also had the Nutro stuff...but only for senior...which is dumb since my girl isn't even 4 years old! I saw the wellness bags too, but I believe it was cat food? I was wandering the aisles...like I do when I am bored waiting on the 20 something old guy to stop playing with all the random things he can mess with...he found a sprayer for reptiles and tried to convince me to buy it for our Raven for in the summer >< gah. I told him the best I will do is get her a kiddi pool and fill it up. It has been said she likes that option to cool down!

Offline SawyerAshton

• My Photobucket Album
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »
Not sure Raven,  I'm in South Louisiana and the Petco I'm talking about just opened in the past year. 

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 10:31:58 AM »
I have convinced my Grain store people to order me dog food. I requested if they could do Wellness, Blue Buffalo, or something else (still looking online) they said they could get Blue Buffalo defiantly so I may go that route, and wellness is an iffy if they can they can if not then not.

I am noticing Raven has been itching a LOT. This is off topic. But there's no fleas that I can find (I have looked her over maybe fifty times already and I haven't seen any). What should I do for her? If she is this itchy it's no fun! So I dunno. Should I wash her with something? I was thinking about using a flea and tick just in case, but that normally dries her skin out, and even using conditioner doesn't help enough with the dry skin, and then she itches anyway. She last got a bath at Petco (my guys sister is a groomer there and did it for a discount) but this was about two weeks ago, and she wasn't itchy when she came home from that, but is now...I'm wondering if she just needs another bath. We actually don't bath them a lot. Maybe once a month in the winter if even because they don't get into anything. In the summer forget it, they are lucky if it is only once a week they like the swamp to cool off...

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 08:27:33 PM »
Raven it might be possible that you pup Raven has dry skin and if that is the case that could be what is causing her itches.  If you part her fur you may or not be able to see some dry flaky skin.  Deuce gets quite dry and itchy in the winter time.  We supplement his food with salmon oil capsules.  We just throw them in with his food and he scarfs them down with his meal.  We quite often increase the amount he gets in the winter as we find that he does tend to itch more then.  Just one suggestion.  If this is the problem then a bath could dry her skin out even more.  The food she is on right now wouldn't be helping her skin or her coat either, I would imagine that you will see an improvement in both once you have her switched onto something better quality.

Offline Lady_Penrhyn

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 09:48:47 PM »
Yeah, we add a capsule of fish oil (1000mg) to our dogs food everynight, it's helped her coat so much, it's soft and shiny and her nails are really strong now (she had a problem a few months back where her dew claws on her front feet kept splitting).  If you can't get fish oil, a raw egg will help.  Kara loves a raw egg once a week (or so), though we have to crack it for her and put it in a bowl.  Once gave her an egg in the shell and she just rolled it around the back deck for an hour :P

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 11:44:21 AM »
I actually take fish oil capsules. I didn't even think of giving her them! We used to give out aussi an egg every week, she rolled them around as well so we had to crack it. (the cat gets an uncracked egg weekly as well but she gets how to get it open)...when we gave the other pup the egg tho, it gave her wiked BAD gas, so I prefer to not use egg on dog...gah gas grossness, stinky too...lol sorry...it was just clear the room out dog farts...so yeah
I will try the fish oil. Would she get the same as a person? She weighs 115pds roughly. So...yeah, my big girl!

I was going to try to stay away from a bath unless I found fleas...still none, although the cat has them mysteriously, so I dosed her with topical flea and tick (she is an inside outside- and we have woods and nothing seems to keep the fleas away from her) And no I can not stand that cat inside all the time, she gets cabin fever and goes mad. She likes to be outside especially in the summer time. And she does come to when we call her (I got her, and had to bottle feed her since she was just a mere week old-mommy passed away, and the dog actually helped raise her, wet cat butt anyone?) and I mean comes to with a whistle and her name being called and there she goes running right to us. So she is in at night and let out in the summer. Winter time, she won't go out with the snow for whatever reason, so she gets her box and is left alone but I despise winter because she gets soooo rambunctious and she has kitty friends too! They chase none stop, even putting the dog and ferrets in on the fun (ferret play time is super supervised though!) And sorry, I had to go off on a rant...

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 09:27:16 AM »
Deuce is 125 lbs and we give him one capsule (not at home so not sure how many mgs but they are BIG capsules) with his morning meal and one with his evening meal.  I would start off with a smaller dose with her to begin with, maybe just one a day, until her tummy adjusts and then if she is still itchy and dry, etc increase the dose.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 10:13:43 AM »
You will also want to start off low because it can cause the runs.

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
I have to take low doses of things since it makes me sick. So I got 500mg ones (Which can be hard to find!!!), and gave her one today. Had to hid it in a little bit of peanut butter. (We have to give my sisters akita daily pills and hid it in peanut butter or he out right says NO shakes his head and bounces his front paws in a heck no I won't take it.) She took it fine. No runny poops thankfully. Although I know this since she had an accident in the house  :doh: I wasn't being very diligent on making sure she didn't need to go out, and someone grabbed her attention and out the room she goes, she gave the signal she needed to go potty but of course the sibs and their kids don't know what she does still  ??? I mean honestly! When a big puppy dog does the potty dance don't you catch on? Specially when by the door >< oh and potty dance she did, 2 seconds later (after someone patted her on the head since I heard all about it) she squatted and poo'd right in front of the back door!! If only she waited another minute! I was headed down stairs to see her and do dinner for her and the cat (who attacked me btw... :shocked2: )...

Offline DebsRats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 04:06:46 PM »
A better dog food will definately help the itching issue. If you can get a supplement for the skin. I like animal essentials but a lot of
places don't carry it. Something with the essential fatty acids and omega 3's.