Author Topic: A food related question.  (Read 7175 times)

Offline RavensFallen16

Re: A food related question.
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »
Sawyer- are we in the same area? The same thing with Petco happened here. They could get different food for cheaper but sell it at the same price. The ingredients don't even look half decent (forgetting the name of the switched in).

And as to being my lazy self I'm going to just say thanks to everyone else who posted :].
The grain store had no food left (dog wise) so that route will have to happen later on.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 01:42:48 PM »
Wow thats just wrong.  The almighty dollar wins again.   >:(

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »
yes, the dollar wins again in the not favor of our dogs. If only they understood that we need to be able to feed our canines something not poopy. But the won't if they can make a profit. Silly places like that are no good anyway since they just look for the profit.
I went to a different Petco today (I needed criks) and looked at their dog food selection, they actually had Iams...which made me go huh didn't think it'd happen. They also had the Nutro stuff...but only for senior...which is dumb since my girl isn't even 4 years old! I saw the wellness bags too, but I believe it was cat food? I was wandering the aisles...like I do when I am bored waiting on the 20 something old guy to stop playing with all the random things he can mess with...he found a sprayer for reptiles and tried to convince me to buy it for our Raven for in the summer >< gah. I told him the best I will do is get her a kiddi pool and fill it up. It has been said she likes that option to cool down!

Offline SawyerAshton

• My Photobucket Album
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »
Not sure Raven,  I'm in South Louisiana and the Petco I'm talking about just opened in the past year. 

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 10:31:58 AM »
I have convinced my Grain store people to order me dog food. I requested if they could do Wellness, Blue Buffalo, or something else (still looking online) they said they could get Blue Buffalo defiantly so I may go that route, and wellness is an iffy if they can they can if not then not.

I am noticing Raven has been itching a LOT. This is off topic. But there's no fleas that I can find (I have looked her over maybe fifty times already and I haven't seen any). What should I do for her? If she is this itchy it's no fun! So I dunno. Should I wash her with something? I was thinking about using a flea and tick just in case, but that normally dries her skin out, and even using conditioner doesn't help enough with the dry skin, and then she itches anyway. She last got a bath at Petco (my guys sister is a groomer there and did it for a discount) but this was about two weeks ago, and she wasn't itchy when she came home from that, but is now...I'm wondering if she just needs another bath. We actually don't bath them a lot. Maybe once a month in the winter if even because they don't get into anything. In the summer forget it, they are lucky if it is only once a week they like the swamp to cool off...

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 08:27:33 PM »
Raven it might be possible that you pup Raven has dry skin and if that is the case that could be what is causing her itches.  If you part her fur you may or not be able to see some dry flaky skin.  Deuce gets quite dry and itchy in the winter time.  We supplement his food with salmon oil capsules.  We just throw them in with his food and he scarfs them down with his meal.  We quite often increase the amount he gets in the winter as we find that he does tend to itch more then.  Just one suggestion.  If this is the problem then a bath could dry her skin out even more.  The food she is on right now wouldn't be helping her skin or her coat either, I would imagine that you will see an improvement in both once you have her switched onto something better quality.

Offline Lady_Penrhyn

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 09:48:47 PM »
Yeah, we add a capsule of fish oil (1000mg) to our dogs food everynight, it's helped her coat so much, it's soft and shiny and her nails are really strong now (she had a problem a few months back where her dew claws on her front feet kept splitting).  If you can't get fish oil, a raw egg will help.  Kara loves a raw egg once a week (or so), though we have to crack it for her and put it in a bowl.  Once gave her an egg in the shell and she just rolled it around the back deck for an hour :P

5 mice: Janet, Sam, Cassie, Vala + Jennifer
4 Guinea Pigs: Josephine, Caramel, Frank + Josef
1 Elephant/Guinea Pig/Basenji/Fox Terrier: Kara (sounds like an Elephant, eats Oxbow Pellets...strange creature!)

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 11:44:21 AM »
I actually take fish oil capsules. I didn't even think of giving her them! We used to give out aussi an egg every week, she rolled them around as well so we had to crack it. (the cat gets an uncracked egg weekly as well but she gets how to get it open)...when we gave the other pup the egg tho, it gave her wiked BAD gas, so I prefer to not use egg on dog...gah gas grossness, stinky too...lol sorry...it was just clear the room out dog farts...so yeah
I will try the fish oil. Would she get the same as a person? She weighs 115pds roughly. So...yeah, my big girl!

I was going to try to stay away from a bath unless I found fleas...still none, although the cat has them mysteriously, so I dosed her with topical flea and tick (she is an inside outside- and we have woods and nothing seems to keep the fleas away from her) And no I can not stand that cat inside all the time, she gets cabin fever and goes mad. She likes to be outside especially in the summer time. And she does come to when we call her (I got her, and had to bottle feed her since she was just a mere week old-mommy passed away, and the dog actually helped raise her, wet cat butt anyone?) and I mean comes to with a whistle and her name being called and there she goes running right to us. So she is in at night and let out in the summer. Winter time, she won't go out with the snow for whatever reason, so she gets her box and is left alone but I despise winter because she gets soooo rambunctious and she has kitty friends too! They chase none stop, even putting the dog and ferrets in on the fun (ferret play time is super supervised though!) And sorry, I had to go off on a rant...

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 09:27:16 AM »
Deuce is 125 lbs and we give him one capsule (not at home so not sure how many mgs but they are BIG capsules) with his morning meal and one with his evening meal.  I would start off with a smaller dose with her to begin with, maybe just one a day, until her tummy adjusts and then if she is still itchy and dry, etc increase the dose.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 10:13:43 AM »
You will also want to start off low because it can cause the runs.

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
I have to take low doses of things since it makes me sick. So I got 500mg ones (Which can be hard to find!!!), and gave her one today. Had to hid it in a little bit of peanut butter. (We have to give my sisters akita daily pills and hid it in peanut butter or he out right says NO shakes his head and bounces his front paws in a heck no I won't take it.) She took it fine. No runny poops thankfully. Although I know this since she had an accident in the house  :doh: I wasn't being very diligent on making sure she didn't need to go out, and someone grabbed her attention and out the room she goes, she gave the signal she needed to go potty but of course the sibs and their kids don't know what she does still  ??? I mean honestly! When a big puppy dog does the potty dance don't you catch on? Specially when by the door >< oh and potty dance she did, 2 seconds later (after someone patted her on the head since I heard all about it) she squatted and poo'd right in front of the back door!! If only she waited another minute! I was headed down stairs to see her and do dinner for her and the cat (who attacked me btw... :shocked2: )...

Offline DebsRats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 04:06:46 PM »
A better dog food will definately help the itching issue. If you can get a supplement for the skin. I like animal essentials but a lot of
places don't carry it. Something with the essential fatty acids and omega 3's.