Author Topic: Rat Potty Training *Adventures*  (Read 1203 times)

Offline ZooKeeper

Rat Potty Training *Adventures*
« on: January 06, 2010, 05:45:31 PM »
So after much thought and contemplation on my boys ability to succeed, I bought a corner litter box and some litter. I figured I'd just share my adventure in teaching my boys to poo in a specified place. And also so I can have suggestions.... I'm real not sure about this!!   :eek:  And I'm trying to teach my new kitten to use the litter box, and not my bathroom rug  :doh:

And the costs for starting this learning experience (for me and them) started at 10$. I bought an "All Living Things Litter Pan" for rabbits and Ferrets. I wanted to get a bigger pan because I've read stories of other rat owners having problems that their rats will go in the pan to poo but will miss...  :-\ Hopefully this will be big enough for my boys. And I bought a small bag (5 liters/4.5 dry quarts) of Carefresh- the fun colors too. I was reading a thread on here about litter. I really wanted to try the crushed walnuts, but Petsmart didn't have any today. So I'm going to use this amount and see how it works for my boys and me.

And since my internet isn't at my house with the rats, I don't have pictures yet. But I am headed to the "Zoo" (as I call it) to get this adventure started...  ::)

Offline ZooKeeper

Re: Rat Potty Training *Adventures*
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 08:41:40 PM »
So I went home to get the litter box all set up and ready.
My Tools: and if you look ever so closely you can see a little grey body, that would be Paulo.

The selected poopy corner:

And while trying to shove those fat plastic screws through the wire mesh the boys rat all over the cage confused and excited. Paulo tried to climb on my shoulder, contemplated jumping onto my arm, and insisted on being inside the litter box while trying to get it in place. And all the while I have this tag staring back at me:

And for some reason the Jackson Five song "ABC. It's easy as 1-2-3..." was ringing in my head.... but for some reason it didn't feel as easy as 1-2-3. I was getting pounced on by rats, snagged by the wire on the cage, and pestered by my cat Oliver wanting to "visit" the boys.  ::)
Finally, once I got it all organized in the corner, the boys wanted "test" it out:

And consequently that meant tasting the litter  :doh:

But now it is filled with colorful litter and old poo. I will cross my fingers that the boys catch on. They are smart...... I think. They act that way anyways. Well what am I saying, we all know rats are deceptively smart!! Like someone said, if they had thumbs they'd rule the world!!!  :bow:  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline malilyfae1

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:04:53 AM »
My girls use their litter box almost every time for #2, still having some pee issues, they are less discerning about that!  We have a corner litter box with high sides, and use hamster litter in it, like they had at their first home before we adopted them.  I am noticing it is getting a little smelly now that it's been in there for about 2 weeks, even though I scoop it at least once a day.  When they do pee in there it clumps so I can scoop it, so that is nice. 

I'd be open to suggestions on different products to use, what is that about walnut shells?  How are you finding the care fresh as litter?  I'd only seen it used as bedding.  Do you try to scoop it, or just dump it and replace it?  *curious!* 
Momma to my girlies Midori and Olivia!  Slave to Mister Buttercrunch, my new baby boy! 
Missing my first ratties, Itzy and Sprinkles - RIP

Offline ZooKeeper

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:58:14 PM »
As I breifly mentioned I am trying to potty train my kitten at the same time as these boys. My kitten Oliver is in fact, NOT a kitten but a one year old stray. He knows exactly where the litter box is and knows precisely what it is used for. Yet he still pops squats on rugs and in bathtubs.  :doh: I have been really lucky to catch him every time before he did anything *crosses fingers* but I realized last night as he was proceeding to "water" the ferns in the bathtub that I can't catch him everytime... So I mercilessly locked him in the ulitity room with his dreaded litter box. I was on the other side of the wall hearing him cry and knock things down and whine and beg to be let out. I kept thinking to myself "you can just let him out this time and if he does it again lock him up for good tonight..." But my gosh! How am I supposed to catch him while sleeping?!!? :eek: Needless to say I went to the other bed room on the *other* side of the house, where I could still hear him tearing the room apart.

And when I woke this morning, who did I find curled up with me? That little fart!! My sister had let him out earlier in the morning, but he was all purring and cute like nothing tramatizing had happened last night. Shesh. I really hope the rat boys are much easier than this... :-\

Offline TNHannan

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »
I gave up on litter training because they just poop everywhere... Theres no corner that seems to be used more. I also switched back to bedding (YN) because liners werent doing anything for smell for me
Shredder, Peter, Scar, Dumbo

Offline Billie40

• Posts Too Much!
    • Billie's Bunks & Hides
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »
I have the same pan and litter :thumbsup2: I normally use wood pellets but the store was out. CareFresh does absorb pee quicker, but mine don't really pee on it, just poo. I'l be switching back because it sticks to my fleece so bad. Grrr! My adult rescues took about 3 wks to be consistant so I was picking up poos several times a day for a while, my 6 wk olds were instant. All I did was pick up poops and put them in the pan and 4/5 got it. One of my adult girls refuses to use the pan but I can't figure out who it is. My boy is sometimes too lazy and just poos 2 steps from wherever he was sleeping, but being a boy, that's pretty normal. So I dump the pan mid week, wash it when I do my weekend cage scrub, but still have to pick up raisins 1-2 times a day for Ms.Stubborn. I don't know how your kids are but mine like to tunnel under their liners so they always unhooked their pans. I even bought a new pan that had a slightly different latch system. I gave up. ::) They just sit on the floor of the cage now, one per level, but luckily they never dump them over. They play in them and stash food and sometimes use it as a safe spot to secretly nom. So even if they weren't potty trained, I'd still let them have it ;)

Offline paax

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 04:21:55 PM »
I feel lucky in comparison, all I did for potty training was stick a litter box in the cage, throw their old poo in the box and they did the rest.  Of course I do have a stray poo every once in a while, but other than that they stick with it really well.  Good luck in your potty training adventures ZooKeeper.
~Emily
4 Rats: Alice, Angus, Anna and April; 1 Guinea Pig: Lennie; 1 Russian Box Tortoise: Lucy; 3 Dogs: Charlie, Adam and Milo; 3 Cats: Callie, Kitsa and Henry; and 3 Mice: Wacko, Yacko and Dot

Offline Lindsay Hannah

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
My girls caught on immediately. I just out the box in and they used it.
Good luck though! 

Offline malilyfae1

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 11:13:47 PM »
They just sit on the floor of the cage now, one per level, but luckily they never dump them over. They play in them and stash food and sometimes use it as a safe spot to secretly nom. So even if they weren't potty trained, I'd still let them have it ;)

Midori does that, she takes snacks into the litter box to eat!  Glad it's not just her, lol!  All she needs now is a little rattie magazine, jk
Momma to my girlies Midori and Olivia!  Slave to Mister Buttercrunch, my new baby boy! 

Offline malilyfae1

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 11:16:33 PM »
I just got a CN, and found that the pan sits inside, versus underneath the bottom as a pull out- for anyone who has a CN, do you put bedding in the pan, or cover it with fabric?  I imagine the bedding could end up all over the floor if they dig around in it, since it's a shallow pan  :-\  The cage they are in now sits inside the pan, so that doesn't happen too much.

Offline Billie40

• Posts Too Much!
    • Billie's Bunks & Hides
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 09:21:06 AM »
Most do cover it with fabric in a variety of ways. Check out this thread, it's all CN's. Something like 65 pages of them :thumbsup2:
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,99999999/topic,4048200.0/topicseen,topicseen
If you prefer litter in the pan, some use Bass pans (brand name) or rig something similar up using coroplast. That way it's a deeper pan that will hold a couple of inches of litter. If you do forum search you'll find quite a few people chose to make those for their CN's.

Offline malilyfae1

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 07:03:14 PM »
Thank you!

Offline TNHannan

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 10:25:05 PM »
The bedding does get kicked on the floor but less than i thought it would. I just sweep it up every other day or so.

Liners are best if you can use them
Shredder, Peter, Scar, Dumbo

Offline ZooKeeper

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 03:38:40 PM »
Thanks for the comments!! Things are going... I've noticed that the boys are pooing right next to the litter box  :sad3: But they seem to poo more on the plastic of the pan under the towel I have down in place of their usual fleece. So I dumped the litter out of the litter box, and cleaned the poo up into the box in hopes that it will help...

I'm just wondering about how long should I give this plan of action until I try something else? I know I need to give it like 2 weeks or so, but what if they haven't caught on after that amount of time? Are their other approaches I can do in hopes of getting them to realize this is where the poo goes?

As for my cat... he tried to pee on my bed yesterday. I think it was his way of marking his territory since he hasn't learned to spray yet. So I'm a bit  more forgiving. But he knew for sure he did something wrong. I've moved his litter box to the hallway inbetween the rooms he uses the most in hopes of encouraging him to use it more. *I also gave him a bath last night, he apparently never had one before because he didn't even know how to stand up when I lowered him into the tub!!*

Offline ZooKeeper

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 06:47:36 PM »
I got my first purposeful poo in the potty!!!! It was a smooshed raisin, but a step in the right direction!

Offline alibaby

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 11:23:28 PM »
I feel lucky in comparison, all I did for potty training was stick a litter box in the cage, throw their old poo in the box and they did the rest.  Of course I do have a stray poo every once in a while, but other than that they stick with it really well.

My boys were the same. They caught on really quickly.
Although, they still pee everywhere.
Mother to:

1 male cat: "Chuckie", 1 female Groodle: "Maybe"
RIP Fester <3