Author Topic: Questions about Beginning Intros  (Read 528 times)

Offline ZooKeeper

Questions about Beginning Intros
« on: January 09, 2010, 03:53:21 PM »
So I have 2 girls and 2 boys. The boys were neutered this past Tuesday so I still have a few weeks to go before introducing them on neutral territory. I've never introduced 2 rats to 2 other rats. I've only introduced a big squish man rat to two girls --which went great. My boys and girls have smelled each other, had each others cages right next to one another-- so they are very familiar with their different smells.

I just don't know how to go about neutral territory intros with 2 boys and 2 girls. Should I introduce them all at the same time? Introduce one boy with the girls, see how that goes, then introduce the other? Honestly I'd be shocked if my boys got aggressive. The last intro I did with the girls, they were just skiddish and unsure about their surroundings. I'm just wanting some suggestions for when I do end up introducing my ratlets. *I can't wait!!!!!!!  :yelcutelaugh: *

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: Questions about Beginning Intros
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 03:59:55 PM »
I know that a lot of people believe in doing individual introductions, and it seems that they work out quite well!

However, in my own personal experience, when I need to introduce groups, it has always worked out better to leave them in their groups.
The one who other wise would have been singled out seems to derive a great deal of comfort from their normal companion.

It is hard to say though!
I think a lot of it has to do with the individual temperament of the rats though, so the only person who will know how nicely things will go (or are going), is you!  ;)

Offline craze_176

• Hillary?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 05:31:08 PM »
Make sure you wait 5 weeks! My neutered boy fathered a litter of 15 4 weeks and a few days after his neuter. :\

Rats are pretty easy to introduce and it usually takes a little stress off to do it in groups vs one on one. That way it's a party instead of a challenger :P

Offline maesie

• Posts Too Much!
  • 100% Aussi
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 07:15:13 PM »
If quarantine time is over, I'd sit the cages near each other until your boys are sterile. This way they can smell and see each other. I have 5 kids and did group intro's with lots of food treats and distractions. Worked fine. If things go bad you could do individual ones, but I'd try group first.