Author Topic: Homemade Rat Treats-- recipes  (Read 2219 times)

Offline ZooKeeper

Homemade Rat Treats-- recipes
« on: January 09, 2010, 04:46:06 PM »
So I was going to post a thread asking for ideas for Rat Treats that I can make, but I figured I'd do my own looking!! And share  ;D

Here are just 2 sites I found for treats and things you can buy at the grocery. I'd like to invite anyone with a new recipe for the rattums to post it here and share for other rattums to enjoy!! These arn't mine of course, but some good ideas I'd like to share. Enjoy!  :yelcutelaugh:

Homemade Rat Treats: http://hubpages.com/hub/Homemade-Rat-Recipes
Healthy Rat Treats: http://hubpages.com/hub/Rat_Munchies

Offline Rana

Re: Homemade Rat Treats-- recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:46:56 PM »
Those look great! I may have to try some of them out when I get the time...

I just recently made a really simple batch of biscuits for all the animals in my house, and my rats love them! They're gluten-free, because one of the cats is allergic to the stuff. Fun times. Basically it was one package dried mashed potatoes, about 1/2 pound of rice flour (maybe 2 cups? I just divided the package I had in half), more or less a cup of peanut butter, and around 20 shredded carrots. I made them really thick so they took forever to get really baked and dry, but basically just put the oven on 200 degrees (F) and let them sit for a few hours.

The next batch I'm planning is just for the herbivores- the same potato/rice base, but with apples, grapes, and banana. The carnivores are going to get another batch as well, but with leftover ham from Christmas.

Offline ZooKeeper

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 10:35:49 AM »
That sounds like a yummy idea BrainDeadRana! Actually yesterday I got all excited and went shopping for the rats to see if I could come up with something they might like. My original plan was to get things that I could remember were on the ingredients for Suebee's mix. But I couldn't remember everything and just started to get yummy healthy things I thought they might like. I have a list of foods not to feed them in my room so I checked it to before I gave them anything.
I made this yummy noodle combination that even I would like to eat! And they didn't like it  :doh: I had wheat pasta, sweet peas, and corn all cooked and mixed together with a little bit of olive oil. I even bought cherry tomatoes for them (more to see if they liked them or not) and cut them up and mixed with the noodle dinner. And all they ate was the corn....  ::) I experimented with the girls first, but I don't think they were very hungry.  So I tried to boys, which they never pass up a treat. They didn't really know what to think about the tomatoes. They'd drag them off somewhere, taste them, then go back for something better. I think I have picky eaters on my hands.
I even tried to make a snack with dry pasta and a couple raisins. I think they liked some of the pasta because it's crunchy, but not the raisins at all. All this stuff I made them couple be people food too. Which it might end up becoming. I also bought some spanish nuts, but when checking the NEVER FEED list discovered that raw nuts arn't advisable. And they are raw, so now I'm going to see about roasting them for the little buggers.

Which brings me to a question: how to roast those Spanish nuts...And if I should even feed them to my rats after roasted??

Offline Drache

• The Crittery
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:20:07 AM »
Do a Google search for "birdie bread" or "parrot recipes". Making your own bird treats (usually in the form of cornbread muffins or some kind of bread) is extremely common in the parrot community. The muffins are easy to make, convenient to freeze until needed, and generally healthy. You can add all sorts of veggies, fruit, juice, nuts, etc to keep a good variety. For lots of rats you can make regular sized muffins, for a few rats you can make mini ones.

I do advise paying attention to the recipes however, because lots of the parrot ones contain hot peppers which your rats probably wont like. Birds can't taste the spicy. :)

PM me if you need help joining!

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:26:04 AM »
I've always wanted to make rat treats.

I had an idea to make little treat balls with some honey and seeds that were ok for them to eat. Kind of like the ones sold in stores. No idea how this would turn out but it was just a thought I had.

Offline PKT

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 10:25:02 AM »
That sounds like a yummy idea BrainDeadRana! Actually yesterday I got all excited and went shopping for the rats to see if I could come up with something they might like. My original plan was to get things that I could remember were on the ingredients for Suebee's mix. But I couldn't remember everything and just started to get yummy healthy things I thought they might like. I have a list of foods not to feed them in my room so I checked it to before I gave them anything.
I made this yummy noodle combination that even I would like to eat! And they didn't like it  :doh: I had wheat pasta, sweet peas, and corn all cooked and mixed together with a little bit of olive oil. I even bought cherry tomatoes for them (more to see if they liked them or not) and cut them up and mixed with the noodle dinner. And all they ate was the corn....  ::) I experimented with the girls first, but I don't think they were very hungry.  So I tried to boys, which they never pass up a treat. They didn't really know what to think about the tomatoes. They'd drag them off somewhere, taste them, then go back for something better. I think I have picky eaters on my hands.
I even tried to make a snack with dry pasta and a couple raisins. I think they liked some of the pasta because it's crunchy, but not the raisins at all. All this stuff I made them couple be people food too. Which it might end up becoming. I also bought some spanish nuts, but when checking the NEVER FEED list discovered that raw nuts arn't advisable. And they are raw, so now I'm going to see about roasting them for the little buggers.

Which brings me to a question: how to roast those Spanish nuts...And if I should even feed them to my rats after roasted??

Where did you read that raw nuts aren't advisable?  I give my girls raw nuts all the time, especially in the shell.  Hope it wasn't a bad thing to do.

Offline Drache

• The Crittery
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 10:36:32 AM »
^ Same. My rats get raw nuts all the time. And actually, right now is a great time to buy nuts because they are on sale from the holidays. I got mixed nuts (pecans, hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts) for less than $1/lb. yesterday!

There are a couple of nuts that I wouldn't advise, like Pine nuts. They are full of fat and go rancid VERY quickly. Only buy them if your source keeps them refrigerated. Raw Peanuts can sometimes have aspergillus on the outside shell, so I always buy human grade peanuts, usually with no shells (less mess anyways!)

Keep in mind that all nuts are high in fat and protein. Too many nuts can lead to weight gain and itchy skin. They are a great addition to the diet, but like anything else they are best in moderation. :)

PM me if you need help joining!

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 11:11:59 AM »
I also give shelled nuts. The harder the shell the better the work out for the rat lol. It's really funny to see them try and fit a huge nut in their mouth a they grab it to run and stash it   :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

Offline ZooKeeper

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 11:18:28 AM »
Forbidden Foods

"Generally, if you would eat a food, you can give it to your rats. Here are some exceptions and notables:
raw dry beans or peanuts—contains antinutrients that destroy vitamin A and enzymes needed to digest protein and starches, and causes red blood cells to clump
raw sweet potato—contains compounds that form cyanide in the stomach
green bananas—inhibits starch-digesting enzymes
green potato skin and eyes—contain solanine, a toxin
wild insects—can carry internal parasites and diseases
raw bulk tofu—can contain bacteria, packaged raw tofu is safe
orange juice—forbidden for male rats only, d-limonene in the skin oil, which gets into the orange juice during squeezing, can cause kidney damage and kidney cancer due to a protein that only male rats have in their kidneys.  Pieces of the orange fruit are okay if you wash the orange-skin oil off of it after peeling it."
http://www.ratfanclub.org/diet.html

This isn't the exact same place, but has the same info I posted on my wall. And most nuts at the store are already roasted anyways. If they arn't it says so on the package. And this package says "Raw Spanish Nuts". I just don't want to feed my ratties something they shouldn't eat. Opinions on the nut issue???

**EDIT: I just realized it says PEANUTS and BEANS.... not just strictly nuts in general. But still my question remains.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:20:34 AM by ZooKeeper »