Author Topic: dig box contents  (Read 8266 times)

Offline earhtmother

dig box contents
« on: January 09, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »
I posted this as a reply to a previous post and I think perhaps I should make this a new topic on its own.  I have 1 hob 'Snowman' that LOVES to dig, and a couple others who dig when the mood hits them.   I started with a water box since the dogs water dish was the first place Snow tried to dig.  This was a big hit, but I was worried about them being damp this time of year, and my carpet being constantly wet.   So what does everyone put in their boxes if they have them?  I have heard packing peanuts (the cornstarch kind), soil and playsand.  Soil is a definate NO as I really don't want all the mess I forsee them creating, peanuts are a maybe depending on the accessability and cost, sand seems like the best idea but I have some questions.  How do I keep them "clean"?  I am assuming I can't vacuum them before they go back in their cage  :P and I am worried about all that sand in their coats, ears, eyes etc.  Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

elaine

Offline Kyleybear123

Re: dig box contents
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:46:04 AM »
I posted this as a reply to a previous post and I think perhaps I should make this a new topic on its own.  I have 1 hob 'Snowman' that LOVES to dig, and a couple others who dig when the mood hits them.   I started with a water box since the dogs water dish was the first place Snow tried to dig.  This was a big hit, but I was worried about them being damp this time of year, and my carpet being constantly wet.   So what does everyone put in their boxes if they have them?  I have heard packing peanuts (the cornstarch kind), soil and playsand.  Soil is a definate NO as I really don't want all the mess I forsee them creating, peanuts are a maybe depending on the accessability and cost, sand seems like the best idea but I have some questions.  How do I keep them "clean"?  I am assuming I can't vacuum them before they go back in their cage  :P and I am worried about all that sand in their coats, ears, eyes etc.  Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

elaine

I would definately use the peanuts.
Sand would get in their eyes, fur, and mouth (icky!) haha
Soil is way to messy.

You can buy an actually dig box with ferret-safe packing peanuts in it for $9.99 at www.drsfosterandsmith.com
Hope this helped  :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:48:43 AM by Kyleybear123 »

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 01:30:28 PM »

I used aquarium gravel before, but mine thought it was boring and ignored it.  Those may be easier to keep in a box.  Especially if you do a box-in-tray situation.  Clothes swimming was always a bigger hit here.

Offline Patsy

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 08:33:30 AM »
My Ferrets always loved digging in a big box stuffed full of crumpled up news paper!    Ive also tryed the aquarium rocks and it as well didnt go over very well!

Offline Daydreamer2993

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 05:05:46 PM »
I'm thinking of making a dig box for my girl Mika who just adores to dig. I'm not too sure about where to get the packing peanuts close by so I'm thinking more along the lines of crumpled up newspaper. I also would be able to get my hands on some shredded paper. My question is what else do u put in the box? Would just the paper be fine or should I had more things like treats or toys. I'm not too sure. Any Ideas?

Mother 2 Mika

Offline halblingefrau

• Ritten
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 09:33:13 PM »
I made mine with uncooked long grain rice and it was fine with Loki.  But when we got Asher, I noticed undigested rice grains in his poop.  Little turd was eating the rice.  I freaked out and took it away because I didn't want them to get a blockage.  I'm thinking of using the cornstarch peanuts but I don't know where to buy any locally.  I might pilfer a huge bag of paper shreds from work, but I'm concerned about the inks.

And to answer Daydreamer2993's last post, I would put some toys buried in the box.  Mine are not treat whores so the treats just get ignored.  They LOVE pulling out their little stuffed fleece balls though.  Loki will dig until he has all of them and has transported them to his bed pocket.

Offline Daydreamer2993

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 08:25:44 PM »
thanks so much for the help. I went out today and got Mika a new hammock since we had been gone a couple days on vacation. My aunt who has three ferrets herself babysat her. I missed her SOOO much. haha!

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 08:33:25 PM »
I used to do a dig box with cut up fleece strips (washable in a lingerie bag), but Eco-Bedding is another big favorite.

You can buy an actually dig box with ferret-safe packing peanuts in it for $9.99 at www.drsfosterandsmith.com
Hope this helped  :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

And if you order anything sort of large from Drs. Foster and Smith you will receive the exact same dig box and peanuts free. :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Whaturmuva

• http://simplyhomemade.org/
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »
Unfertalized top soil is what we use for the rats, might work for the ferrets as well.

Offline Moonbeam

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 12:22:49 AM »
I have tried many different dig boxes and the peanuts seem to be the best option imo. We first tried soil and that is a huge mess but I added a cover with a couple holes and it was not so bad. Than we tried bird seed but they got bored and I was worried they might eat one. Than I ordered some cornstarch peanuts and they love this one. I hide toys and treats and they love when you shake a blanket over it so they can jump up at it. I also was shredding paper, I have this cheap paper shredder and I just bought fresh paper or used newspaper, they enjoyed this as well but there is dust and I was not sure health wise how this would be. I suggest the peanuts.

Offline Tiinasaurus

• Ritten
  • Oh hi.
    • Dragondust Studios
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 05:12:29 PM »
Hiya! I'm new to the forum, but I thought I'd share what my boyfriend and I came up with for our ferrets to dig in. We have two boxes for variety since our ferts get bored VERY easily.

- One is a canvas storage bin full of plastic easter eggs (the kind you put candy in) from the dollar store. We avoided the coated ones that looked metallic, just in case said coating could flake off and get swallowed. They like to bury themselves and fall asleep which is fine, since they wont suffocate. And I occasionally find plastic eggs hidden behind the sofa. XD

- The other dig box is a giant plastic storage bin that we filled with Carefresh pet bedding from the pet store. We keep this box closed and only let them play in it with supervision. When we got our boys from the pet store, they were living on this kind of bedding and we noticed bits of it in their poop. Granted, it was getting kicked into their food bowl and they slept in it as well, but still. Better safe than constipated. :)

Offline htsr4

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 02:51:53 AM »
I use childrens play sand. The ferrets love to dig in it but they also think its a litter pan. I have given them dirt and only Rena will dig in dirt but no one uses it as a bathroom. 

Offline FerretLover<3

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 07:30:55 AM »
I posted this as a reply to a previous post and I think perhaps I should make this a new topic on its own.  I have 1 hob 'Snowman' that LOVES to dig, and a couple others who dig when the mood hits them.   I started with a water box since the dogs water dish was the first place Snow tried to dig.  This was a big hit, but I was worried about them being damp this time of year, and my carpet being constantly wet.   So what does everyone put in their boxes if they have them?  I have heard packing peanuts (the cornstarch kind), soil and playsand.  Soil is a definate NO as I really don't want all the mess I forsee them creating, peanuts are a maybe depending on the accessability and cost, sand seems like the best idea but I have some questions.  How do I keep them "clean"?  I am assuming I can't vacuum them before they go back in their cage  :P and I am worried about all that sand in their coats, ears, eyes etc.  Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

elaine
I am going to upgrade to a bigger cage soon and so I will have room to put one in the cage. I have read that you can fill them with ping-pong balls and that a lot of ferrets like that. But as everyone else has stated, the packing peanuts are also highly recommended.
★♡Ƒƪơωεг♡★