Author Topic: May adopt birds in the future... but which kind of bird?  (Read 3840 times)

Offline coeurfragile

• Posts Too Much!
May adopt birds in the future... but which kind of bird?
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Hi guys! I normally stay to the rat section of the forum, but I had a few questions.  I'm a lover of all types of animals, and really have had no experience with birds beyond having a cockatiel or two as a child, but never really being their caretaker.  In the (distant) future, I would like to have a feathered companion.  I am not really sure what type of bird would suit me, though, and I don't want to get into something I can't handle.

Do you have any suggestions as to a type of bird that is good for a beginner to handle?  All I remember about our cockatiels is that they were insanely noisy and not very friendly.  That may be the pet-store type though.  I would definitely find a breeder if/when I decide to get a bird.
Owned by three kittehs (Raja, Adrian and Audrina), and two pups (Sunny and John). Currently on a break from ratties.

Offline Maeume

• Facebook!
Re: May adopt birds in the future... but which kind of bird?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 11:54:02 PM »
I know this is a super old post, but I *really* need to answer this one.

Having a rat AND a parrot or two can be a bad idea. Why? Well, my rat could very well kill one of my parrots.I've had her 3 weeks and they've already been in a fight (No blood, thank god) but they will always try to go after each other. If you are confident you can keep them separated ALL the time, Then having both parrots and rats wouldn't be an issue. Doesn't matter how much you trust your animals, be cautious about intros. My opinion? Keep them in different rooms.

Look up different bird breeds. Are you looking for something big? Look at macaws (B&G tend to be the best tempered of the bunch). Are you looking for a medium size bird? Look at Conures. As a first bird? Don't go for anything from CL. PLEASE go with a breeder that will let you socialize with your bird. My boyfriend, for his first pair, bought 2 quakers that were over a year old and were obviously abused. The female ( we were told BOTH were males, and then one laid eggs a couple months later. The only way we could tell was from feeling pelvic bones of both birds, and now we know which is a girl.) is EXTREMELY aggressive and territorial of my boyfriend. The male (maybe? No eggs yet..) is incredibly frightened of everyone and anything but the female he came with, whom he is extremely territorial over. Pay close attention to bird breed characteristics and keep them in mind. We saw "Cage Aggressive" with Quaker Parrots. Didn't believe it until we got them and almost lost fingers over it.

I've pleaded with my boyfriend over and over about just giving them up to the Gaberiel Foundation, but he refuses to and wants to give them a shot. God Bless him  :bow: how do I know all this? well...experience for one. I raised a bunch of Cockatiels and still currently own those Quakers. :0
Proud owner of : 2 Cats (Saint and Saffron!), 2 Parrots (Clover and Rocky) And Sookie's 5 Babies (R.I.P Sookie. <3)
http://www.facebook.com/cadie.hamilton

Offline coeurfragile

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 10:55:10 AM »
Well I was thinking of getting a bird (s)  waaaaay down the line. After the rats are gone, after the cats are gone, etc. You don't have to worry about that!

I would definitely be getting something from a breeder.  I was thinking something small like a budgie or a cockatiel but I don't know if they are good "beginner" birds!  Definitely not a huge parrot.
Owned by three kittehs (Raja, Adrian and Audrina), and two pups (Sunny and John). Currently on a break from ratties.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 10:18:44 PM »
What are you looking for from a bird?   A companion?   One who is more a cage body to watch and talk to?   A talker?   

Do you know anyone near you who is very knowledgeable with birds?  how long do you want to commit to the bird?   

My first cockatiel was a family pet.   He still lives with my parents, and is....  12 years of school, plus 9 years since I graduated....   21 years old.   

Then there was my parakeet that was given to me from a friend of my sister who was moving and didn't want to drive cross country with him with a kitten... so figure he was 2 when I got him.   I had 2 more years of high school... again, I've been out of school for 9 years....   so he's about 13 and still alive and doing great.  Both were pet store birds. 

I got one cockatiel from a breeder after I got married....  found the breeder fed her birds on lasagna and hot dogs....   I held her while she died.  (very short process)  So just because someone claims to be a breeder does not mean the best.   So same as with rats, you need to know what to look for and if you have a friend who knows a lot about birds that will go with you to pick yours out that is better. 

I don't think craigslist is all bad, but again, ask questions, know what warning signs to look for.  And the hardest part, know when to walk away.