Author Topic: Building a rat cage or Crtter nation  (Read 687 times)

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
Building a rat cage or Crtter nation
« on: January 31, 2010, 01:05:56 AM »
 I have had just about every type of rat cage and many sizes. Right now i have a Ferret nation and All living things cage ( old style) as my two main ages. Right now i am at a weird point. I have a total of 13 rats but Romeo and Sam are not well. They are 2 1/2 years old and showing signs of heart failure and my vet basically told me to get ready b/c the next few months.. may be all they have.

I have very limited space, and at one point ( next few years) i want to move out of my house and start starting my own family. I was thinking for a while i would get a critter nation b/c the only reason my 5 girls are in the ALL living things cage is because of the spacing, they can and have learn how to get right out and i can't risk it. I have both males and females, i am planning on getting my 4 males fixed but 2 males may not be able to be up under b/c of heath issues.

What i would like to do is try and build my own cage out of a bookcase or shelf unit since it would not only look nicer but it may help with the pee on the walls, poo falling out of the cage and onto the floor, i could make it whatever size i wanted.
 Thats the biggest problem. Even though most of my rats are pretty well trained i still get pee on the floor and poo which can be really nasty.
I like the Ferret nation its just big. ANd if there was anyway i could make a cage to fix my room better  that would be amazing.

I started reading posts but i have a few questions.
Where can i find the wire? It seems to be hard to find power coating and some say reguar wire is dangerous?
What kind of paint is water proof and safe for rats?
How do i develope a the right  cage size ? I want it to hold 5 girls and 4 boys and try to make it divided into two so that i would have a risk of any unwanted pregency.

Please let me know what you think and things i should do before hand to prepare.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
Re: Building a rat cage or Crtter nation
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 12:38:27 PM »
Is getting the FN add on an option?

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 05:11:24 PM »
 I have a two level FN but like i said the bar spacing is too big for my girls.
I came up with two different designs.
one being taller the other longer. Each cage would be build apart and just house each group there will be walls between so theres no chance of babies.

LONG: (each cage) 24inX 24inX 18-15 in the total length with two would be 48 in. I could also make one big cage and slip it in a way that they go across rather than up and down.

Taller: 48in X 24in X 18in- It would basically be standing like a FN. but not as deep and there would be a soild floor of wood between the two groups.

I just need to be sure that wire is safe for them and that its worth doing the extra work.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline tsk_n_such

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 05:20:14 PM »
Years ago I had a bookcase style cage and, while it did prevent poo from going out the back and was attractive, stuff did still find its way out of the cage. Eventually I got more rats and wanted them to have more room, so we went with a readymade cage and were much happier. One thing I did notice is that, unless you're starting out with existing furniture or have access to cheap supplies, it can quickly add up to the price of just buying a ready made cage.

The wee rat girls: Dysentery, Tularemia and Listeria