Author Topic: ?? about ivermectin ??  (Read 1170 times)

Offline JesB

• Posts Too Much!
?? about ivermectin ??
« on: February 20, 2010, 10:47:50 AM »
I've heard of people using it to get ride of lice/mites on rats and such, but, can I use it on cats as a dewormer?  With alll the cats in the house, it would be easier if I could just grab a tube of it in town (as this is farm country, and its a horse wormer) and dose the cats.  I'm ordering revolution in a week for fleas (my parents are ordering with me, and I'm waiting on my dads pay day) so should I just wait?  One of the bottle raised babies has tape worm, and the ONLY thing I can figure they'd have gotten them from recently is the fleas. 

NOTE ... flea baths do not work ... neither does the walmart junk so ... expensive revolution order herrrre we come! 

OR, will the ivermectin take care of tapeworms AND fleas??

help??

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: ?? about ivermectin ??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:50:18 AM »
I truly wouldn't risk it. JMO though.

Offline ThaRatChick

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Blackers :)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:13:43 PM »
I think it would... Becuase i think they use ivermectin for both endoparasites and ectoparasites.

But you would have to get the product for cats. Maybe you can check with your vet.
It's ASA!EXCLAIMATIONPOINT!

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »
My line of thought is trying to get the mixing and dosing correct (just like the horse wormer paste and rats issue). Ivermectin is something that can cause neurological damage if it's overdosed. If underdosed then the bugs can develop a tolerance, making them harder to kill. If you decide to do it, be extra, extra careful you don't OD and squeeze it all out in a container and mix it up real good.

Offline ThaRatChick

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Blackers :)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 12:06:30 AM »
Yep, thats the main concern. I personally would check with a vet, cuz i dont trust myself :P
It's ASA!EXCLAIMATIONPOINT!

Offline JesB

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 08:56:37 AM »
Unnnderstooods  heh