Author Topic: A raw feeding question  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Kutoja

• My LJ
A raw feeding question
« on: March 02, 2010, 04:33:52 AM »
Hi,

I've been trying to teach my girls to eat raw meat, with varying results. Neither has any idea how to use their claws to help tear a large chunk of meat. Suzie (aged approx. 3) digs right in, but she only tries to chew the meat up into mince - eating takes forever. Wet food, on the other hand, disappears before you can blink. (And she's constantly asking for more... If we let her, she would probably eat non-stop. I'm starting to think she needs some sort of appetite suppressant!) Sammy, who we think turned one this winter, only licks at the meat - even when it's at room temperature - and takes even longer. She'll swallow just enough to take the edge off and then start playing with the rest. She does make an effort to chew on her wet food, though.

Does anyone have any tips for teaching the girls to tear their meat (short of giving myself food poisoning by trying to teach by example!)? I've tried chicken and beef, both cut into strips, pieces and chunks of varying sizes, with all of the same results. Help?   :puppy_dog_eyes:

Thanks in advance,
Kutoja
Somewhat paranoid first-time cat-mum. Beware of confused, sometimes ridiculously basic questions!

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
    • Confessions of a Rat Breeder
Re: A raw feeding question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 12:29:22 PM »
Not all cats are going to tear their food. Chewing at it can actually be good because it stimulates the digestive track and gets it "warmed up" so to speak. By the time the cat actually gets food down there, the digestive track is ready to do its job.

Start with small chunks mixed in with their wet food. Gradually add bigger and bigger chunks, with less and less wet food. Eventually you will be able to graduate to whole chunks not cut up. If your cats are still chewing and not tearing, don't worry about it, as long as they are eating.
NOM-ology A study in rat nutrition.
http://nom-ology.blogspot.com

Confessions of a Rat Breeder
http://bwr-rats.blogspot.com/