Author Topic: New cage!  (Read 602 times)

Offline defzeppard

• Posts Too Much!
New cage!
« on: March 04, 2010, 05:33:12 PM »
Picked up a new and bigger cage at Petsmart a few weeks ago.  Old cage was big enough for one rat, but after adding some toys and a hammock.....I quickly ran out of room.  Nicodemus is in heaven in this cage I think. :rattysmiley: :rattysmiley:

Mommy to: Four retired lab rats: Skinner, Edward, Nikola, and Tesla
At the Bridge: Nicodemus, Pearcy, Crosby, Ozzy, Montee, Marty, DeMartini, Gizmo, Bandit and Badger

Offline Rhyendel

Re: New cage!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 05:47:39 PM »
I like it! How are you hanging that hammock from the shelf (it looks like) on the left?

Offline defzeppard

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 06:31:45 PM »
I tied some twine to the grommets in the hammock and used some paper clips to hang it on the cage bars.
At the Bridge: Nicodemus, Pearcy, Crosby, Ozzy, Montee, Marty, DeMartini, Gizmo, Bandit and Badger

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 12:42:23 PM »
I have this cage for 3 boys of mine who refuse to become litter trained and I really like it.
There is a pic thread just for SuperPet cages around here somewhere, it would be nice if it got a little more action.

Are you going to leave the shelves uncovered?  I have mine covered with fleece and can't even begin to imagine the mess that little 'pee-river' would contain if I left them uncovered.  I know some people here don't cover and just wipe them down a few times a day--but I'm kind of OCD about stuff like that and would have to stand watch and wipe them down the minute a crumb hit the shelf  :).  If you do decide to cover them, large binder clips are the easiest way to do so.

I'm sure Nic will love the extra space.

Offline Jennandjuicetm

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 01:20:12 AM »
If you do decide to cover them, large binder clips are the easiest way to do so.

This probably won't be an issue in the Exotics since there are only three shelves, but in my other SP cage, Ferret Multi-Floor, when I used the clips on the sides all the levels wouldn't fit side-by-side, and I was afraid the hanging leftovers would tempt them to chew it. Instead I pulled it tight around and clipped it underneath with small binder clips. Like this:

Sorry for the crappy quality, my camera is in the car and it's cold outside.  ;)
RIP:

Offline rat_cuddler

• My pets are my world
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 01:18:11 PM »
It looks great and I am sure Nick loves it. I have a similar cage for 3 boys. I love being able to move the shelves around.

Offline defzeppard

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »
The shelves right now are uncovered.  Nic mostly uses the bedding when he has to go.  I find a few scent mark drops here and here.  So, covering the shelves isn't necessary at this point.  But, depending on my Dad I might be getting Nic a cage mate.  *crossing my fingers*  He might be finally giving in.  We'll see how the new guy is when that time comes.