Author Topic: Babies possibly on the way in Northern IL...  (Read 2607 times)

Offline *~Phoenix~*

• Posts Too Much!
Babies possibly on the way in Northern IL...
« on: March 07, 2010, 05:06:54 PM »
So i HATE making threads like this...

Every day my rats have free play time in a playpen in my family room. Last night I went to put my group of 9 girls back in their cage and I thought I counted and double counted (like I usually do), but I must have miscounted because I accidentaly left Emma in the playpen. I didn't realize this until just now when I went to put Ryley back in his cage, and I saw both of them in the playpen. I told my parents, thinking that admitting that I messed up would count for something, but obviously it didnt. Because they both flipped out and said that we weren't having any more rat babies in this house and that if she turns out to be pregnant that they are going to get her put to sleep.  :'( So I'm praying to God that she isn't pregnant. But hopefully if she is, they will give me the chance to try and find homes for the babies. Sadly the babies would be black and white hoodies, which I know isn't a great color, but they still need love just as much as any other ratties. Emma has been with me since the day she was born. Ryley is actually her father. Emma is a good girl. A little whiny and squeaky sometimes when she's busy playing and you go to pick her up, but she's not a biter or anything. She's never been sick. Ryley is a big cuddle bug. He doesn't live with anyone because he's very protective of his cage, but he's good with people. When I got him, he was almost dead from a respiratory infection, but it cleared up with meds and he hasn't been sick since.
If anyone would be willing to help give a home to any potential babies, myself and Emma would really appreciate it...
Home of Daisie, Maizie, Bailie, Maci, Ebony, Kassadee, and Ivy (mice); Chico and Maggie (dogs); Smeagol, Mia (cats); Wildfire (horse); Sullivan (aka Sully) and Jakey (goats); Starlight, Starbright, and Esteban (fish)

Offline Blackthorn

• Posts Too Much!
    • Central Texas Rat Rescue
Re: Babies possibly on the way in Northern IL...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 05:27:47 PM »
I would recommend getting her spayed immediately - at the very least, getting her spayed if she doesn't go into heat within the next week and starts gaining weight.  It will be next to impossible to adopt out a large litter of all black hooded babies to good homes, even if your family allows the mother to live to produce them.  You may want to seriously consider saving up to spay all your females or neuter all your males so you don't risk this happening again, too.

Offline *~Phoenix~*

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »
That is a good idea that I will definitly look into. My current vet doesn't do spays, so I'll have to look around a bit. It would be next to impossible to spay or neuter all of my ratties because I do have a large amount of them.
I just spent my vet fund on a teeth trim for one of my boys, so I won't be able to get her spayed at least until I receive my next paycheck (in about a week). Like I said, i'm just praying that she ISN'T prego.
Home of Daisie, Maizie, Bailie, Maci, Ebony, Kassadee, and Ivy (mice); Chico and Maggie (dogs); Smeagol, Mia (cats); Wildfire (horse); Sullivan (aka Sully) and Jakey (goats); Starlight, Starbright, and Esteban (fish)

Offline jasugar

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:24:57 AM »
It seems your parents are being a little hasty. Maybe they should suggest a spay rather than putting the poor girl down. That fixes the problem much better. I'm sure they're wanting to pay to get her put down, since your vet fund is depleted? Tell them to pay for a spay instead. It's cruel to put her down for doing something that is normal for animals to do.

Offline jasugar

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:26:07 AM »
Also, where in Northern IL are you? I'm near St. Louis & would be willing to travel if you have any boys. If she's pregnant, that is.

Offline *~Phoenix~*

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 12:53:44 PM »
They would pay for her to be PTS but I would have to pay them back. Which I think is so stupid because if they're forcing me to do something, they shouldn't make me pay for it. I really really don't want to get her put to sleep. I weighed her again today and she's gained 5 grams since last night. I'm going to start looking around for vets that do e-spays and if she's still gaining weight in a week, I'm going to try and get her e-spayed (I'd rather not get it done unless I know for sure she is pregnant).
Oh, and I live in Gurnee (right by Six Flags). Hopefully there are no babies, but if they are that would be awesome if you could help out with some boys.

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 01:26:58 PM »
I absolutely agree with Blackthorn. Please take the compassionate route and E-spay ASAP! Contact Arlington Heights Animal Hospital. Their prices are pretty awesome for surgeries (and actually tooth trims, too, from a recent thread), and though it's a little bit of a drive down 94 it should save you money.

I also have other recommendations for amazing (but expensive) rat vets in actual Chicago on the north side, but I'm sure that's a stretch for you to get there and pay city prices.

And not that I'm condoning this by any stretch, but if anything, why wouldn't your parents allow Emma to give birth and euthanize just the babies?

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 02:47:01 PM »
Ditto on Arlington Heights having reasonable rates.

Offline ItsLeeNotLynn

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
I live in the same area as you. What vet do you see normally? I live about 10 minutes away from six flags and I go to an exotics vet in Libertyville. The office is called Libertyville Animal Care and Medical Center and their head doctor, Dr. Harris is a god send. He's helped me out when I was in a lot of binds. The initial exams are over $60 and a spay is around $300, but they allow payment arrangements. I hope that helps, I am actually in the same boat as you are, though I have 3 rats that could possibly be pregnant.

http://www.animalcarelibertyville.com/

Offline *~Phoenix~*

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 07:21:42 PM »
I live in the same area as you. What vet do you see normally? I live about 10 minutes away from six flags and I go to an exotics vet in Libertyville. The office is called Libertyville Animal Care and Medical Center and their head doctor, Dr. Harris is a god send. He's helped me out when I was in a lot of binds. The initial exams are over $60 and a spay is around $300, but they allow payment arrangements. I hope that helps, I am actually in the same boat as you are, though I have 3 rats that could possibly be pregnant.

http://www.animalcarelibertyville.com/

That is actually the vet that I use. I adore Dr. Harris. He has saved so many of my rats lives. They do spays? I asked them about it awhile back and they said they didn't spay rats. I'll ask again.
It's funny that you live so close to me--I only know of one person by me who has rats!  :)

Offline ItsLeeNotLynn

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 08:48:30 PM »
Yeah! When I read you were near six flags I was like "woah! that's so cool!". I think patti may have mentioned you before. She always tells me about the one other rat owner who frequents them! Hah, how cool. I actually just called about a spay today they told me $263 with everything included. Dr. Harris spayed one of my girls who had pyometra which makes surgery very difficult, and he did it perfect! It may be pricey but, it's worth it.

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 08:52:34 PM »
 I used the Arlington Heights  vet when i had the 3 boys neutored. The prices at the time were under 100 now its more than that but still pretty good prices for our area.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 11:05:45 PM »
I'm going to use them for a tooth trim (it's $20) so I'm glad to hear good things about them! That's really decent pricing for a spay! I'm probably an hour away from you guys. It's weird knowing other people in my area  :wave2:

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 11:10:44 PM »
Yikes, that's a pricey spay! But, I guess if the Dr is good......although I have to admit I ended up at AHAH because they were cheaper and had a good reputation. But I have gone to our local vet too on occasion.

BTW, I grew up in Libertyville :)

Offline Addicted2Rats

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • The *original* Addicted2Ratsİ
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 12:29:56 AM »
A neuter at Arlington Heights Animal Hospital costs $100, and a spay is $150.  Dr. Kuhnle is the rat vet there, and she's wonderful.  I would highly recommend using her for the e-spay.

Deb

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat photos
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 01:17:37 AM »
small world.. so thats 2 people in Grayslake -Gurnee area.. and now Libertyville too..wow..small world
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 10:14:51 AM »
There's a lot of people in Chicago and the N and NW suburbs! Uh, not me anymore, but lots of others. :)

Offline brrrbrrrr

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 10:30:35 AM »
Chicago Exotics does e-spays. They also do them fairly late on in the pregnancy though not through preference.   They are on Dempster in Skokie like 10 minutes east of the Edens. I just talked to the receptionist there and she said an e-spay would cost $200-$300.  Their number is 847-329-8709.  I would not recommend Arlington Heights.  I  transported 3 male rats there and back for some one else who couldn't afford $150 each to neuter her boys.   The vet did not close the wound on one of the rats and did not provide antibiotics or painkillers.  They ended up going to my vet to get the wound closed and for after care and if I remember correctly, more was spent than the money saved by going to the cheaper vet.

Offline guardiantrinity

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 12:29:30 AM »
I am sorry you had such a terrible experience there brrrbrrr-- AHAH has been phenomenal for me (specifically Dr. Kuhnle). Unless they very recently changed prices again, I am surprised they charged you so much for the neuters. I have had multiple ratty surgeries done through them and only one had complications (due to her chewing out of boredom). Even then, appointment to have her seen again and the course of Baytril to keep infection at bay were considered post-op treatment and they did not charge me a dime extra. I really cannot give enough praise for this clinic.

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat photos
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 12:53:01 AM »
 I had my 3 boys done and they were given pain killers and medications.  I had no problems

Offline PKT

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 01:33:44 AM »
For what it's worth, I just had a girl spayed at Chicago Exotics last week and had a great experience.

Good luck with your (hopefully not pregnant) girl!

Offline Addicted2Rats

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • The *original* Addicted2Ratsİ
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 12:51:20 PM »
I also had quite a few of my boys neutered at Arlington Heights Animal Hospital, and never had a problem.  She always sends home pain medication, but doesn't always give antibiotics.  If you feel you really would like antibiotics, you can ask her and I'm sure she'd probably give you some.  Like I said, the most recent price I paid for a neuter was $100 and a spay was $150.  I had Oliver done in December '09 or January '10 -- can't really remember.

Deb

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 11:39:13 PM »
I'll be there on Tuesday for a tooth trim/ third opinion on my rat Peanut. I'll let you know what I think. I'm no vet expert but I've been to three different clinics so I think I have a pretty good opinion about these things  :wink5:

Have you decided what to do yet? Have you talked to your parents about homing babies or a neuter?