Author Topic: Slowing tumor regrowth  (Read 140 times)

Offline PKT

• Posts Too Much!
Slowing tumor regrowth
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:57:42 PM »
I'm sorry if this is a redundant care question.  I did some searches and was unable to come up with this information.

Tabibu is around 14-15 months.  She was spayed about 10 days ago in order to remove a uterine tumor.  During the spaying procedure, the vet noticed that Tabibu's tumor had extended past the uterus to the vagina and ureter.  The additional surgery went well, and Tabibu is back with her cage mates now.

Because the tumor was so extensive and intertwined with vital organs, the vet could not remove all of it.  It will certainly grow back; it's just a matter of time.  I am supposed to give her Metacam twice daily for the rest of her life (which could be a month, could be a year).

My questions to you:
1) I trust my vet when she says that so much pain medication will have no ill effects, but I was wondering if anyone on this board has had experiences to the contrary.

2) Anyone have any advice for slowing tumor regrowth?

Offline mccauleywent73005

• Posts Too Much!
    • Fantasticall Frugal Hammocks
Re: Slowing tumor regrowth
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 10:13:36 PM »
any tumor that feeds on estrogen can be slowed or stopped by using tamoxifen. yes i know she was spayed but it takes several months for the estrogen to die down after a spay in a older female. you might want to ask your vet about that.

as with the pain medicine.. long term usage in humans can cause osteoporosis, vitamin deficiency (very strong narcotic drugs ie opium derivatives) and of course addiction. if you need to use it long term- make sure you never miss a dose as she can suffer withdrawal from it.. im not sure if rats are the same as humans tho :) i think it will be fine to use long term as long as you remember to give it at every dose.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 10:45:41 PM »
Is the metacam being used for pain or as an anti-inflammatory to shrink tumor tissues?

I would definitely watch her diet.  Sugars, and fats feed tumors and make them grow so much faster...keeping these at a minimum should help a lot.

Offline PKT

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 11:13:38 PM »
lilspaz, The vet said it was for pain, because when the tumor grows back it will press against her bladder and make her uncomfortable.  I wasn't aware that its anti-inflammatory properties could shrink the tumor as well.

I'll try to limit sugars and fats.  Unfortunately, they are my friend in terms of actually getting her to take the medication (she is taking Baytril and Benebac as well for another week). 

Mccauley, I'll ask about Tamoxifen.  I wonder if it is an effective estrogen blocker in non-mammary tissues.  Thanks.

Offline mccauleywent73005

• Posts Too Much!
    • Fantasticall Frugal Hammocks
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 11:19:01 PM »
on the meds.. is it possible you can get it in powder form and mix it at home? i mix my doxy with flavored sugar free  water (giant eagle brand is great) and put it in a syringe. they grab it automatically because of the smell and i squirt it in their mouth ;-) and best of all... sugar free/calorie free and tastes great!