Author Topic: Where to find Saline Solution for a Nebulizer?(Alternative to vet.. ?)  (Read 4996 times)

Offline Carrot

• the things we do for love
So this is pretty overdue, but I've had my nebulizer for at least two weeks now, and I'm still wondering where to buy Saline Solution for it. I haven't tested it yet, either  :doh: But, if anybody knows of a place I might be able to order some online, or find some in my city, that would be super awesome. I called my local pharmacy, and they didn't. I would be willing to seek out some medical supply stores, if that would help. Though I bet she would prescribe some, I'm sort of avoiding the vet for the moment, because it takes soo long to travel.

Thank you, Goosemoose!  :icon_rr:

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
Umm I don't know if there are different TYPES like concentrations or what have you, but contact cleaner is sterile saline solution.  You can get it at any drug store or walmart/kmart type stores.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Sterile-For-Sensitive-Eyes-Saline-Solution-12-fl-oz-2pk/12338343?sourceid=1500000000000007346330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=12338343

Offline Carrot

Ha, thanks Smesyna - You know, I've wondered about that too! I'm going to do some googling.

EDIT: Well, I didn't see anything about specific types of Saline - Is it safe to say it's okay to just use contact saline? If so, hopefully I'll get some tomorrow then  :rattysmiley:

And if that's correct, can anyone give me a good amount and time period for nebulizing? One of my ratties has recovered from Pneumonia but probably has some scarring and I'm guessing he might never fully heal - I was thinking 15 mins. a day, with saline.. ? How many ccs?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:14:35 AM by Carrot »

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
I read a little on it, and apparently albuterol is what is normally used, with saline mixed in.  So it may be worth it to see a vet.

I do not know how often-I found this about using a nebulizer but its about using it with saline and albuterol.  I did a lot of searching too http://www.rmca.org/Articles/albuterol.htm

I did find that you can use contact cleaner so long as it is preservative free.

I've never had to nebulize a rat yet, but I"m grateful to have a nebulizer in my house in case I have to use it when my rats get older.  Good luck!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
I would assume the sterile saline solution is in those IV bags. I used to get them for injections but now get Ringers Lactate.  I am not sure I would use contact lens saline for my rats lungs.

Offline Rattiesmitten

• Posts Too Much!
Just to confuse us further, my vet gave me a bottle of hypertonic saline solution, 7.2% sodium, marked, "for animal use only" and "preservative free".  Human saline solution for inhalation is .9% sodium.  I've used both, but I have to say that I think I can tell the difference - the 7.2% seems to work better and faster.  Though saline doesn't require a prescription, I imagine you'd have to get the animal-strength thru a vet - OP, any chance your vet would mail you a bottle or could you get it from a different, local vet?  Since my vet just handed me a bottle no charge, I assume it's not too expensive.

I neb mine with 6-8 cc's of the saline, 2.5 mL/0.5 mL of albuterol sulfate inhalation solution plus, currently, .5 cc's of Gentamycin, an antibiotic.   I treat them once per day for about 15-20 minutes and the solution lasts for two treatments, so the mix is for two days - if any was still in the cup after the second day, I'd pitch it and make fresh per my vet.  If I was only treating with the Albuterol, I would nebulize them 2-3 times a day as needed.  I've not tried just using saline only to nebulize, I always throw in the Albuterol, but I'd be interested in knowing if that seems to help - my boy has plenty of scarring as well and a dry wheeze to boot. 
Currently smitten with Jillybean, Radar and Tigger.

Any many more already at the Bridge - mama loves you all!

Offline mccauleywent73005

• Posts Too Much!
    • Fantasticall Frugal Hammocks
Just to confuse us further, my vet gave me a bottle of hypertonic saline solution, 7.2% sodium, marked, "for animal use only" and "preservative free".  Human saline solution for inhalation is .9% sodium.  I've used both, but I have to say that I think I can tell the difference - the 7.2% seems to work better and faster.  Though saline doesn't require a prescription, I imagine you'd have to get the animal-strength thru a vet - OP, any chance your vet would mail you a bottle or could you get it from a different, local vet?  Since my vet just handed me a bottle no charge, I assume it's not too expensive.
saline is super cheap. i worked in dialysis before and have ordered bulk orders of human NSS for very very little. i do believe it nebulizing would do no good at all if you do not have the albuterol tho so you would need to see your vet.

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
What are you nebulizing with it? I'm a little confused whether you already have drugs to nebulize or if you are planning on nebulizing just saline?

I bought a large bottle of sterile saline from my vet. Any old vet should carry it and sell you some, even it it's not your regular vet.

Offline mccauleywent73005

• Posts Too Much!
    • Fantasticall Frugal Hammocks
oh and sorry.. on the hypertonic saline.. they sell human variety of that too. saline is actually "A drug" when used on humans if it is for IV use. even tho it is just water.. kinda silly i know.. your best bet would be to purchase all supplies from a vet, but it does not necessarily need to be the vet you are trying to avoid.. all vets should keep it.

Offline Carrot

Mandycoot, I am attemtping to nebulize with only Saline. It doesn't work the same way as antibiotics and saline, but it does work as a relieving device to potentially loosen up anything congesting a rat via nasal passages and lungs. This can also work with human beings, via the research I've exposed myself to. Id be happy to provide some links, but I'm using my phone right now, so maybe later.

Onion still has breathing issues, and I'm really hoping if I can just neb him with saline, he won't need antibiotics for the rest of his life :/ which poses another question -

Does anybody have a ratty who needs abs forever? Don't they build tolerance, is that only a good idea in specific circumstances?

Everyone else, thank you very much for all the info! I'm going to call some local vets to see if maybe they can help, and of course, continue to do more research.

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Where to find Saline Solution for a Nebulizer?(Alternative to vet.. ?)
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 07:09:31 PM »
Mandycoot, I am attemtping to nebulize with only Saline. It doesn't work the same way as antibiotics and saline, but it does work as a relieving device to potentially loosen up anything congesting a rat via nasal passages and lungs. This can also work with human beings, via the research I've exposed myself to. Id be happy to provide some links, but I'm using my phone right now, so maybe later.

I get the concept; I use a neti pot daily. I'm just trying to ensure that you're not entering a situation where you're replacing medication with saline. :)

Offline Carrot

Re: Where to find Saline Solution for a Nebulizer?(Alternative to vet.. ?)
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 07:38:50 PM »
Ah okay - yeah, a neti pot is an excellent sort of analogy  :thumbsup2: