Author Topic: brand of anti bacterial soap?  (Read 254 times)

Offline flyingteapot

brand of anti bacterial soap?
« on: March 21, 2010, 03:18:38 AM »
ok, I'm insanely sensitive to chemicals. I can't use bleach to clean my cages. I have a cage we're converting to a RUUD, but has recently housed a sick boy (turns out CHF, not a URI). since I can't use bleach, I am going to use an anti-bacterial soap and let the cage sit for awhile without rats. just to let any bacteria that will die off from that die off, etc. this on top of the usual vinegar and water.

anyhow, my point! I went to the store today and was thinking anti-bacterial dish soap. but I saw nothing labeled anti-bacterial.

if you use soap to clean your cages, what brand do you use?

Offline RavensFallen16

Re: brand of anti bacterial soap?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 10:03:40 AM »
For all my cages (rats, ferrets, guinea (new baby brought to us out of rescue)) I use Dawn liquid soap. Not one with bleach or smell just the ORIGINAL DAWN. It works wonderfully. I wash down really good, rinse it extremely well. Then (Thanks to someone else's input on it) I spray it down with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. The Peroxide kills stuff I am guessing since that is what it is for. I then rinse it really really really well. I let the cages air dry, feel the plastic or metal and make sure it doesn't feel gross still and then re-decorate. I do the same thing for dishes. But water bottles we let sit in warm sudsy water and then clean and rinse those...

My biggest issue for my ferrets was they like to poop not in their boxes sometimes, and this mix of three things get the poo of the cage bars, thankfully!

Hope that helps! And if you use the hydrogen peroxide, it eliminates your need of antibacterial...
Warm water and soap kills germs too, it doesn't have to be antibacterial. But I know we use a Dawn soap, and a Joy one that is antibacterial on our dishes...if we don't get those ones we get one with bleach, but I don't like the one with bleach 'cause it smells funny to me...

Offline flyingteapot

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 06:41:59 PM »
yeah, I'm debating using just an organic soap with warm or hot water. because I have extremely bad sensitivities to chemicals. heck, just recently I used a hand soap with too strong of perfumes in it and my hands are STILL cracked and bleeding D: so I am not even going to risk using bleach for my sake D:

I'm hoping the soap + vinegar + letting it sit awhile will kill off most stuff. my vet said letting it sit for awhile (few days - a few weeks)with no rat use should help kill off some stuff, since not all the viruses/bacteria lives for very long outside of the body.

also going to let it dry on a sunny day, to help a bit.

Offline RavensFallen16

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 07:00:52 PM »
The rule of thumb is rat viruses die after 3 hours off the host...

Vinegar cleans fine, use something with not too high of an acidity to it...I use apple cider vinegar personally.
The peroxide and vinegar mix is all you would need...peroxide cleans and kills...it isn't really a chemical in my eyes, they use it on human wounds (never use it on a rat though!)...it cleans out infection but does kill good cells.

I have similar reactions to bleach and perfumes, but I don't get bleeding skin, just very dry and they will crack but before they get that way i use a Vaseline hand lotion that works for me...

You'll find hydrogen peroxide in with medical stuff in any supermarket or other market type store (target, CVS, ect).
You don't have to touch it, I don't scrub in the vinegar and peroxide, I spray it on one after the other, let it sit for like 3-5 minutes then rinse it off. I don't like how it smells...so I don't want my hands to smell like it...

And soap and warm water kills germs...it has to be warm enough and suds...
I'm a Med Lab student...annd, soap and water does the trick, all this use antibacterial stuff is actually impairing immune systems...all you need is the soap but soap use with rats can be bad...so always go over it with something like vinegar. I never use bleach with my pets...it is too harsh for me, plus I find it weakens plastic bases like all my cages are currently but one...

And if you want to do this without touching any of it, get latex gloves (or latex free with no powder or whatever...), I use latex free with no powder to clean with if I want to scrub stuff down...because it is what works with my skin...and then I am getting everything.

Pure bleach kills stuff, but mixed with water it takes up to 15 minutes. Just to give you the idea on that. Vinegar works differently, but we do not disinfect with vinegar since it doesn't do the same process!