Author Topic: My First Try!  (Read 533 times)

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
My First Try!
« on: March 20, 2010, 10:39:50 PM »
So here they are, my first cubes.  I made them this week while the hubby was home for spring break.  I've been doing tons of sewing this week: custom liners for my SP cage, hammies that are lined with thick faux fur for my newcoming nekkid girl, cuddle cups & cubes.  But I wanted to show off the cubes because I thought they would be a pain in the tush & they actually came out quiet nice!

Sorry the pictures are crap.   ::)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:45:12 PM by AlwaysAmy »

Offline amyshizzle

• Posts Too Much!
Re: My First Try!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:43:46 PM »
They look good!  :thumbsup2:  I wish I could make them!  haha...heck...I wish I knew how to sew!!  lol 
I miss having ratties!

Offline justKris

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 10:51:21 PM »
I love the fabric! I haven't attempted a cube yet, I thought about trying over spring break then decided to get away instead. Good to hear they are fairly easy.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 11:02:09 PM »
They look cute!  I love the fabric, the robot one especially.  May I ask how you closed the hole?  The only way I know is to slip stitch, then top stitch it.  I suck at slip stitching so it doesn't come out too well.  Thanks.

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 11:09:09 PM »
I put the two pieces with the print side towards each other.  Then I sewed around the hole, sewing the two pieces together.  I pulled it off the machine & pulled one side of the fabric through the hole.  Then the pattern side is showing on both fabrics.  Then I ironed the pieces so they would lay flat while I sewed them again. 

I hate to pin, I never pin, god, I hate it.  So I do a lot of ironing, which works just as well for me.  Anyhoo.

Then I sewed around the hole again to give it a nice lip & finished look.  I did the hole piece first & then I attached all the other squares after. 

Does that make sense?  You might have to try it for it to make sense.

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 11:10:50 PM »
Those look great, like you've been doing them for a while! I don't think I'd ever have the patience to try, especially knowing that my rats would destroy them in minutes. Kudos! ;D

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 11:15:46 PM »
Those look great, like you've been doing them for a while! I don't think I'd ever have the patience to try, especially knowing that my rats would destroy them in minutes. Kudos! ;D

That is WHY I want to make them.  I don't want to spend all sorts of $$ on something that I can make for much less, especially if it's going to be something they destroy in a couple of weeks.  Plus, I love to make things, that is part of the joy of having rats (for me).  They love the things I make.  I get to keep making new stuff for them to eat up & watching them so they can give me new ideas about what they'd like me to make! 

I make the crocheted 'rat poofs' that you see in the cage too.  They love to snuggle down in those & it gives me something to do, that keeps my hands busy, while I spend couch time with my husband.  It's a win, win for everyone really.  :)

Offline amyshizzle

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:22:04 PM »
Yeah before I got Kairi and Midnight I never used to have to buy/make hammies(hand sewn) all the time but Kairi seems to be the destroyer and mess maker now.  haha Anastasia is so docile and calm she never destroyed anything or made a mess.  You should see what Kairi did to the cage last night haha.  BUt yeah I want to learn how to use a sewing machine so I can make hammies faster, neater, and with less hand wounds haha. And so I dont have to spend as much money on something that will just be destroyed in hours. 
I miss having ratties!

Offline vivianelizabeth

• omnomnom
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 04:25:17 AM »
pretty damn nice!!
My mom and i use the rattributes tutorial patterns to make the seamless cubes.  my girsl love'em!

Offline Claymore

• Posts Too Much!
  • Claymore my <3
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 07:00:44 PM »
For larger pieces of fabric, you can use the temporary spray adhesive to hold the edges, then just wash when your done.  It comes off nicely in the wash, even though it is sticky when you turn your project right side out, so I advise that you only use it on the edges.  I use it on my liners and it works very well.
Happy Endings Mischief: Jack, Cooper, Moe, Solitaire, Othello, Rossie, Jazz, Raquaza, Elmo, Breeze, LaRaeRae & Laurelee.

Rainbow Bridge: 29 angels waiting