Author Topic: First time, soon to be, rat owner, with questions  (Read 1621 times)

Offline digitalangel

Re: First time, soon to be, rat owner, with questions
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 04:05:59 PM »
The wood rat I ran into was not that big, maybe it wasn't fully grown yet, I had no clue they could even get that big o.O but we may also have a different species here in BC. It looked to be about 2 or 3 lbs and was the same height as a squirrel standing up, but seemed to have a much larger/thicker skeletal structure

Offline Moe

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »
Apparently your males are happy and lazy. But it is only your good luck that they haven't decided to leave that cage.

Hers and the countless other people who keep male rats in a FN.  Please explain how an animal that can only push to the start of it's zygomatic arch through the cage bars will be able to get the rest of the skull through?  Turning the head 90degrees won't do it either, I've watched my males try their damndest to get through the bars on occasion and they still cannot get any further regardless of how the head is oriented.  I will admit SP cage bars have some give so I won't discount that escaping from those are possible but a cage with rigid bars like a FN will hold a male rat of average size.

Ok. I admit that theyíre pretty well trapped if their arch is actually just over 1 inch in every direction. (Though until youíve skinned and flayed your rat, you really donít know that unless they have really big heads). I don't think the AVERAGE male's arch is necessarily over 1 inch. I also wasn't thinking about the ferret nation, which is much more secure than any other cage because you CANíT bend the bars even that little bit. It's the more flimsy cages like super-pet that you have to worry about.

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 10:55:08 AM »
I've never had a full grown male get out of the FN.  The girls are in a CN, because I can't say the same for them, lol!

I have a 685 - not currently in use - and it's a good cage.  Ditto on recommending the powder coating option.
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 11:29:42 AM »
Of course all of these answers depend on the rat, even the males which are most certainly larger, some are smaller than the average male. But pretty much, if they can't fit their whole head through, they can't get out. The saying "If you can get your head through you can get out" applies basically.
Since these are going to be babies you might want to get hardwire cloth just in case because these guys are gonna be small for a little while. My best friend had an adult female rat who managed to slip out of her 1/2inch bars a lot but like everything, this is a rare acception. I think the 1/2 inch spacing of the bars should be fine for your babies when you get them, but I do suggest keeping hardwire cloth On Hand incase they are little ninjas, and a tiny place/cage or something to put them in if/when you might possibly have to wire the cage if you don't trust them to free-roam your room just yet.

Pine and Cedar contain scents in them called Phenols, which are bad for a rats delicate respiratory system and have been proven to give them respiratory problems if they are on the bedding for enough time. The time varies but I don't know anyone that would risk that.
Carefresh and Kaytee SoftSorbent are paperbased, as well as Yesterday's News, which are perfectly fine for the rats to use as bedding. What I'd done is put bedding in the bottom tray and use fleece liners on the levels. It seemed to work perfectly fine.
Aspen is one of the only wood bedding I've seen recommended for rats. It doesn't contain the toxic phenols like cedar or pine so it's fine for the ratties.

I hope you post lots of pics of the lil ones when you get them :D Hope this helps

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 11:40:45 AM »
It's actually the urine combining with the oils in the softwood (any softwood) that create the phenols, but essentially you are correct - soft wood = bad news.  Aspen is the only marketed hardwood bedding, but I know people who use hardwood stove pellets as bedding as well.  With a FN and a CN, as well as a couple of smaller cahes, I use Aspen (although, the Rabbit does get Carefresh).
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/