Author Topic: Bedding?? Not sure what to do.  (Read 366 times)

Offline 2ratsforme

• Ritten
Bedding?? Not sure what to do.
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:38:03 PM »
Hi everyone! Im a new member today and this is my first post. Ive had 2 rats for just a few months now but love them so much I bought them a CritterNation cage. Problem is that it has the shallow pans. I need some advice. I was going to order the Bass pans but i found out that because I live in Canada the shipping alone would be $50 so with everything the pans would cost about $150! Im not prepared to pay that right now. I did try using fleece to cover the cage pans ( my rats are litter trained for droppings anyways) I sewed some fleece into a pillow case slip cover and used that. I like it as it was neat and clean. Only prob is that the rats chew holes in the corners and crawl under the fleece. I heard this can be bad for thier respiratory system since the ammonia in urine. I hate to go back to the carefresh as its all over the floor. What can I do to still use fleece? Double it up? Sew a pan cover with tough nylon edging and fleece in the middle? (they would probably still bite through it.) Could I just not put anything down and if they pee just wipe it up everyday? I could fill a box with bedding for them to snuggle in. What do you guys do to cover the bottom of the cage? What would you suggest? Thanks!

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Bedding?? Not sure what to do.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 06:13:56 PM »
My girls devour any fabric I put at the bottom of the cage so I just throw some fleece remnents in there for them to demolish and wipe the pan down several times a day.  Burrowing under the fleece won't hurt them unless it is urine soaked (which it shouldn't be if you are changing it out enough).

Some people on here have sewn cage pads, which are two layers of fleece with batting between and just lay them down.  Some people's rats may still burrow under them, but chew them less (didn't work with my girls).  You could also try a different material.  I have one girl who will chew fleece but won't chew towels.

I'm sure some others will chime in, but there is no foolproof way to stop chewing.

If you really want a Bass pan, if you have a metal fabricator or are able to contact a HVAC contractor, they can build those pans for you locally (or you can do it yourself out of sheet metal if you have the equipment to cut and weld).

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
Re: Bedding?? Not sure what to do.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 06:22:16 PM »
Talk to your local heating and air conditioning companies.  If they make their own duct work, odds are they'd be willing to do the pans for you custom.  Use the dimensions for the Bass pans and ask them for a quote.  You will want to prime and paint them.

(edit: Which Wheeljack just said.  Not my day)
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/