Author Topic: 11 year old Lab w/ paralyzed larnyx  (Read 1291 times)

Offline pepperannie

11 year old Lab w/ paralyzed larnyx
« on: April 03, 2010, 08:01:27 PM »
I have an 11 year old chocolate lab.  She is a sweetheart. She has had her share of troubles and now another one.
When she was just around 4 she tore her ligament in her one back knee.  Then 6 months later her other ligament tore in the opposite leg.  She had a tumor removed from her eye last May and that is when they diagnosed her with a paralyzed larnyx.  I was concerned because she was always gagging and coughing and PANTING.  While she was under the vet checked her good and did xrays on her chest to see if she had tumors.  He found that her larynx was not working.  It does not open and close like normal dogs.  this results in her panting excessively and coughs.  When she gets excited she'll gag and cough.   Today, it was really nice in PA.  Around 80degrees but a nice breeze.  I took her for a walk on our property and thought she was not going to make it back.  She was never so slow in walking.  She looked so tired like she wanted to say "Mom, can we just rest here for awhile?". 
Anyone have a dog w/ a paralyzed larnyx? 
Proud to be have been loved by my rats.... RIP...Turtleneck, Pepperannie, Steveo, Jack, Gwennie and Stephanie! I love you all so much!  Also loved by Bootsie, Elvis and Katie!

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
Re: 11 year old Lab w/ paralyzed larnyx
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 11:19:41 PM »
I see this quite a bit in older labs at work (vet clinic). It can be corrected surgically, which might be worth looking into if it's affecting her that severely.
~Julie

Offline werecatrising

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:06:57 PM »
I agree with Ratwings. It is very common in labs. Our docs reapir it surgically in bad cases.

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 01:49:11 PM »
There are surgical corrections for this - if you are not interested in surgery, then the biggest thing will be management -
you should not be walking her when it is very hot, and especially not at the hottest time of the day - her exercise should be restricted to the cool time of the day (at the early morning and late at night) because what happens is that as her breathing gets worse, the inflammation starts a vicious cycle that results in further inflammatory responses, making it harder and harder for her to breathe. You can also ask your vet for some sedatives to calm her down in these instances, making it easier for her to breathe. On 80 degree days, even with nice breezes, she should not be walking but hanging out in the cool shade!
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline pepperannie

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:05:10 PM »
Thanks for your advice.  Tonight we had a thunderstorm where I live.  She gets so upset anymore and starts her panting.  I am taking her to the vet for her well check and I am going to ask for sedatives.  She gets herself so upset.  As for going outside for walks, etc. I do try to watch that.  I guess she overdid it the other day.  It was the first nice day and she insisted on being out with us in the yard walking back and forth.  She is used to just laying in the house when we are at work.  Being it was the weekend and we were off and it was a gorgeous day she wanted to be outside with us.   I will make her stay inside longer and not have her out with us when it is hot.  She usually finds a shade tree when we are mowing our lawn.
Proud to be have been loved by my rats.... RIP...Turtleneck, Pepperannie, Steveo, Jack, Gwennie and Stephanie! I love you all so much!  Also loved by Bootsie, Elvis and Katie!