Author Topic: Nuts and dried fruit...how often should rats eat these?  (Read 739 times)

Offline hairless_love

• Posts Too Much!
  • Bald is beautiful!
Nuts and dried fruit...how often should rats eat these?
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:51:12 PM »
I ended up with a free bag of food that's a treat mix for large birds. I figured the rats would enjoy it, but I'm not sure if I should pick out any of the ingredients before giving it to them, and I was also wondering if I should just toss it in with the Suebee's Mix my rats eat a few times a week, or if this stuff should be fed to them less frequently. Here's what's in it: peanuts in shell, sunflower seeds, bananas, pitted dates, green peas, apple rings, almonds in shell, walnuts in shell, filberts in shell, pecans in shell, pine nuts, pineapple chunks, papaya chunks, chili peppers, carrots, dried apricot, and pumpkin seeds.
Thank you so much for the beautiful sig, RascalRatties!

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
Re: Nuts and dried fruit...how often should rats eat these?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 09:46:48 AM »
The only thing you should probably pick out are the chili peppers - rats don't like spicy things, and the capsaicin can be irritating if it gets in their eyes.  Everything else is fine to use as a treat.  I'd only give them a piece or two a day, though, because all of those things are fairly fatty or sugary.

Offline lovinpretty9

Re: Nuts and dried fruit...how often should rats eat these?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »
The only thing you should probably pick out are the chili peppers - rats don't like spicy things...

My girls like spicy.  My one girl that has had a UPI won't touch bland things like plain popcorn, but gobbles down anything with a touch of Frank's on it!