Author Topic: stray cat pregnant  (Read 1083 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
stray cat pregnant
« on: April 17, 2010, 09:04:09 PM »
This town drives me nuts.   It's over run with strays, you can't catch most of them, even with humane traps since a local woman feeds them regularly.   

Well, there has been a pair hanging out on our porch.  I got a good look at the red tabby tonight, and I am almost 100% sure she is pregnant.   I can get about 6"  from her tonight, but can't get my hands on her, which is probably a good thing for me since hubby would NOT be happy if I bring her in to have her kittens.    I just wish our attempts in the past to tnr had worked.   

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
Re: stray cat pregnant
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »

That really is a shame. 

Maybe you need to change the way you trap.  Cat food rarely works, especially for well-fed cats.  They can get it 'for free' down the street and avoid the very suspicious looking trap.  Tuna or KFC chicken or plain sardines generally works well.  It's got to really call their tummies from down the street and be too good to turn down.  Line the trap bottom with newspaper, put the food way in the back, and make a "trail of breadcrumbs" with little tastes of chicken or tuna from the entrance to the bait at the back.  Leave a decent bite size out front as the hook.  Once they eat the hook, they are much more willing to go in for more...and bite by bite they work their way back to the jackpot, and they're caught.  Without the hook to get them interested and the breadcrumbs to string them along, they often aren't brave enough to go all the way in.  Plus the newspaper flooring covers up the strange feel of the trap bottom.  I used to catch my neighbor's well-fed cats all the time.  They hated getting trapped, but couldn't leave the dang tuna can alone.

If you have a spare bathroom or get a large dog crate for the basement, it's very workable.  I've raised up kittens with feral moms in my basement and the kits grew up to be total love bugs from the constant handling.  Mom did her job wonderfully, got spayed, and went back out.  Pregnant moms are Always Extra Hungry...   :poke:

You can also try to talk to the feeder.  If she cares about the cats, she should want them to be healthy and happy and not pregnant or fighting all the time.  Unneutered cats spread fatal diseases in high-density cat colonies.  Kittens born to sick moms waste away and die.  It's called Fading Kitten Syndrome.  Tomcats sicken and die with horrible infected bite wounds fighting over territory and females.  With a little education, you could bring her over to your point of view and get her help and support in the trapping process.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: stray cat pregnant
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 11:03:27 PM »
Sadly I have lost my contacts or traps and spays/neuters and rehoming the litter would be very difficult around here.   The lady who feeds them is the crazy cat lady type to the extreme.   So tired of for years more cats showing up.   Rumor has it the town used to have a rodent problem - their solution was to set cats loose to take care of it - unfixed - grrrr!