Author Topic: Doubling a cage?  (Read 928 times)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Doubling a cage?
« on: May 09, 2010, 08:26:03 AM »
I have this cage.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ferret-Chinchilla-Rat-Rabbit-Cage-Cages-3974-/220600819097?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335cd55d99

I've been looking at it and wondering if I can take the top off one, take the bottom off the other and not use the bottom grate and slide the 3 lips of the top one over the edges of the bottom one and zip tie them together so that it's a cage twice as big?   ask about extra shelves from the seller?    Any ideas? 

Offline Ollybabee

• Posts Too Much!
  • Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong.
Re: Doubling a cage?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 11:29:57 AM »
I think you would have to like saw the grate off or use wire cutters cuz it is attached to the inside? Not too sure though.
Owned by three big boys, Everett, Rainey and Cobb.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:57:54 AM »
The bottle grate is just place inside floating like the shelves do.

Offline Ollybabee

• Posts Too Much!
  • Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 07:58:29 PM »
I just noticed the part where you said you have the cage xD

If you can do it, I would.

Any extra space is worth it :P
Owned by three big boys, Everett, Rainey and Cobb.

Offline Anjel

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 10:26:26 PM »
I'm not quite sure exactly what you meant, but if you meant removing one of the side or top panels and attaching a cage just like it in place, go for it! We did this with two bird cages about two years ago, worked like a dream but you have to secure it really well. My husband wielded ours together, so not sure how you would connect it but the extra space was pretty nice.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 10:41:05 PM »
Another vote for the think that will work team.  I would probably do it side to side if it comes apart that way over bottom to top, but even bottom to top would be nice.

Offline Kim1982

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 11:02:12 PM »
I was actually thinking about getting one of these for my girls, so I will be looking for updates. Do you like the cage? Does the grate on the bottom come off? Martin's are a bit out of my reach right now. This seems kind of liek a Martin's. Also do you cover the shelves with like sticky tiles?

Offline xxJasperxx

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 02:23:54 AM »
absolutely!  In fact, I made a double super pet cage...I used wire cutters to cut a square in the top of the bottom one and then  used zip ties to attach the top...It doubled the space and worked beautifully!

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 07:51:33 PM »
Ok, I'm between ordering.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330430199110&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT  and asking seller about extra shelves :)   

Or doubling the one posted above.   

Side by side would be a little more complicated to take apart and hook together.   The sides are each 2 pieces.  one in front  of the other would be too long for the desk it is on.  So it is just deciding if it can fit together well one on top of the other.   

I have fabric on my shelves and for the floor.   

I like the cage overall.   The rats do too, only issue I have ever had with it is I forgot treats one night years ago - when we had boys like 3 years ago.   And Fievel let himself out, and came upstairs to let me know.   Yes, he got off the desk, came all the way upstairs and to our bedroom where I was reading in bed, and then led me back downstairs, that door now has a safty pin on it.   

The bottom grate they walk on?   yes it comes out, but you'd want it over the tray on the bottom otherwise they are going to push the tray out and get out.   

Offline nottmyown

• Posts Too Much!
    • Hammock Hangout
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 11:35:48 PM »
I found a cage exactly like the one I already own for $5 today, and I plan on joining the two and see how that works.  I'm thinking one on top of the other because my current cage is already 32" long.  If all goes well, I'll have a 32Lx20Dx26H cage when I'm done.  The girls should love that!
I was going to try making a cage myself, but for $5, I thought trying this way was worth a shot.

Sig4, on Flickr