Author Topic: 5 Week Old Kitten  (Read 1339 times)

Offline trentsheba

• Posts Too Much!
5 Week Old Kitten
« on: May 09, 2010, 11:45:40 AM »

I share an apartment with my brother.  Yesterday morning, I get a phone call.  It goes something like this, "I don't know how to ask this, but, um, would you mind us taking in a tiny tiny kitten."  Between his and mine, we have six cats in this house.  So, I asked what was going on.  It seems that someone my brother works with has a brother who got a kitten at only five weeks of age.  Him and his girlfriend had him maybe three days.  Through those three days, they screamed at him, were going to kick him, and when this five week old kitten peed outside of the litter box, they decided they didn't want him and threw him outside in the rain.  So, of course, we're taking care of the little guy until he's old enough to adopt out.

Here's the problem, he wasn't well taken care of and of course, he has fleas.  Nothing I know of can be used on a kitten that young.  What can I do about them?  Also, he didn't poop all last night or this morning, despite gobbling down a tremendous amount, (I don't think they were feeding him well).  I used a warm wet cloth to stimulate him and he went a couple minutes ago.  Is it common for them to still need help at this age? 

All the kittens I've ever gotten were of an appropriate age to leave their moms.  The only exception were kittens I took in with their mother.  He's happy and playful and an absolute love. 

Pets name: Ben
 Moe

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: 5 Week Old Kitten
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 01:22:14 PM »
For the fleas you can bathe him with blue dawn dishsoap.   Just the originial, not the bleach one.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 04:18:38 PM »
Yup, Dawn is good for getting rid of fleas, and safe for him.

As for not pooping at first... If he hadn't eaten in a while, that may have had something to do with it.  Cats have a relatively short gut transit time, but it still takes 14-15 hours for stuff to go through.  I'd just keep an eye out to make sure he continues to poop normally from here on out!

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »
At 5 weeks they're pretty much on solid food. I'd still mix some KMR with some canned for some extra nutrition. DeFlea makes a natural spray and shampoo for fleas. Kills on contact and I've used it on Waverli when she was a week old. Dawn,like the others said, is good in a pinch too.

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 04:31:40 PM »
Also, he didn't poop all last night or this morning, despite gobbling down a tremendous amount, (I don't think they were feeding him well).  I used a warm wet cloth to stimulate him and he went a couple minutes ago.  Is it common for them to still need help at this age? 

Are you sure he's 5 weeks and not any younger?  By 5 weeks they shouldn't need stimulation.  Normally around 5-6 weeks we start weaning them off of a KMR/wet food mixture that we started offering around 3 weeks.  Instead we just offer wet food and dry.

If he seems to need stimulation it couldn't hurt to do it for one more week just in case he is a little younger than 5 weeks.  And again, just in case, it couldn't hurt to still give him KMR/wet food mixed together like Heather mentioned for a bit longer.
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline trentsheba

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 04:54:01 PM »
I've been giving him the wet food mixed with KMR and some moistened regular food and he's eating well.  It was only the first day or two he needed stimulation and hasn't had a problem since.  He's doing really well. 

The aggressive cat I've posted about before, is still nasty to the other cats, but absolutely loves him.  He plays gently with him and grooms him.  Anyway, I'm going to get pics up of him within a day or two.

Pets name: Ben
 Moe