Author Topic: What is the best way to feed thirteen rats?  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Drache

• The Crittery
Re: What is the best way to feed thirteen rats?
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »
I wouldn't ever feed lab blocks to my rats.  Not because they're bad, but imagine having to eat nothing but beans on toast for the rest of you life.  That's why I make my own mix up.  I feed the Shunamite diet, and I think the American version of that is the SuBee diet?  Can't remember as it's been a while since I looked at my ratty nutrition book. 

A good mix is a rabbit food base (preferably one with as few pellets in as possible), with a good quallity dog kibble, mixed with some human cereals and a little bit of pasta. 

I'm pretty sure that most people who feed lab blocks use it as a base and also offer other things including fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, etc.

No, the Suebee's diet is not the American equivalent to the Shunamite diet. Both are home-made mixes, but the Shunamite is a lot more complete than the Suebee's.

And I'm confused about what you mean by starting with a rabbit food base with "as few pellets as possible". Any half-way decent rabbit food is nothing BUT pellets. Rabbit owners should be avoiding pre-packaged foods that contain things like nuts and seeds. The alfalfa/timothy pellets in rabbit foods are useless for rats.

I will never again feed my rats dog kibble. If they need extra protein, why not add some real meat or nuts to their diet? The ingredients in dog kibble are crappy at best and can be downright dangerous.

PM me if you need help joining!

Offline Snippet

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 08:19:57 PM »
RE Subees and the Shunamite, I didn't know that and stand corrected.

a lot of the better rabbit foods in the UK are muesli type feeds, and I know that the alfalfa pellets are useless to rats which it why I said a feed with as few pellets as possible. 

I choose not to feed my rats nuts as they're prone to being fat.  I don't use dog kibble either as I can only get it in large bages which isn't suitable when you've only got a pait.  Instead I add dried fish and shrips to my mix as they're low in fat. 

If you choose a good dog kibble then the ingredients aren't dangerous.  A kibble a lot of people use over here is James Wellbeloved Lamb & Rice Kibble.
Cara,
Owned by Lilly, Rose & Daphne
Missing Snippet, Frost, Willow, Nix, Fern, Heidi, Fizz, Micha, Bubbles, Bee, Asteroid & Gypsy

Offline Drache

• The Crittery
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 10:04:59 PM »
a lot of the better rabbit foods in the UK are muesli type feeds

Wow, and here I thought that animal husbandry in the UK was more progressive than in the US. Muesli type foods for rabbits are completely inappropriate. It's basically the equivalent of feeding nothing but a commercial seed mixture to your rats.
http://www.rabbit.org/

As for dog food vs. nuts, dog kibble is just as likely to cause obesity as nuts if fed in inappropriate amounts, yet nuts are more biologically appropriate for rats and a healthier source of nutrients.

And I guess part of my problem is I don't believe that any kibble is appropriate, whether it's for dogs or rats. ;P

Offline ⚡⚡DrachenDame⚡⚡

• Posts Too Much!
  • Fur, and Scales, and Scorpion Tails.
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 01:06:19 AM »
And I guess part of my problem is I don't believe that any kibble is appropriate, whether it's for dogs or rats. ;P

I think that's definitely a problem. While I fed my girls HT, I considered feeding them the same food that my dogs eat, but the protein was too high. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with feeding dogs good quality kibble, as they are domesticated animals which have been raised for several generations on kibble.

Sorry to hijack :)
Some people think the best way to protect animal life is to make scientists fear for theirs. Support the Foundation for Biomedical Research.

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 01:32:15 AM »

I think that's definitely a problem. While I fed my girls HT, I considered feeding them the same food that my dogs eat, but the protein was too high. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with feeding dogs good quality kibble, as they are domesticated animals which have been raised for several generations on kibble.

Sorry to hijack :)

While some kibbles are *okay* for dogs, most are completely innappropriate. Even better brands like Wellness, Blue Buffalo, ect. have formulas that contain grains. Dogs are ment to eat meat. If you're feeding a completely grain free food, then the kibble is most defiently not the worst thing in the world, but an all meat diet (like raw feeding) would be better.

Dache: I think Snippet may have meant the better rabbit foods for the SD are muesli style mixes, but I could be wrong.
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline Drache

• The Crittery
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 03:11:20 AM »
I guess I just find something weird about purchasing a rabbit food for my rats and supporting a company that is producing inappropriately-marketed foods. Either way, purchasing muesli type ingredients individually and making your own mix is going to be way cheaper than a pre-mixed rabbit food and you'll have much better control over what goes in it. Buying whole grains in bulk and mixing a diet yourself is probably the cheapest way to go for a large number of rats, you just need a place to store it.

As for dog food, "several generations" is absolutely nothing compared to hundreds of thousands of years of evolution. Feeding kibble and canned food to dogs (or cats or ferrets) is about the same as expecting humans to survive on nothing but McDonald's forever.